Difference

bobby47

Since my colleague announced his/her arrival, I've been thinking about this issue and perhaps I am wrong in my personal approach to these very important social issues.

What we could do, and it'd require some work, would be to gather up all our homosexual men, lesbian women, our bisexual community and those others who have some other sexual orientation and tell them that, 'whilst you all are not as normal as us, hence the reason we've gathered you all up here together in High Town, what's bloody left of it, we want you to know, that despite the fact you are not as normal as us, we want you to enjoy the same rights as everyone else. How about that Biomech? That'd be sure to sort the whole issue out.

We could go further, instead of ticking the box that asks about sexual orientation, we could simply pose the question, 'Are you normal or are you abnormal'. That would cut down on administration and it'd certainly make the collation of social information more straightforward.

Yeah! This idea of normality is beginning to win me over. Of course, when they protest and say,'this is unfair and we feel humiliated', we simply say, 'but your argument is flawed, you cannot have children. You need a normal person to produce your offspring which confirms why we now choose to call you abnormal'.

That'd sort it all out!

You certainly could do if you wanted to Bobby Bonanza :)

Although I'm of the opinion that everyone is treated the same - until they open their mouth, that's when I make my judgements. By taking all of the non heterosexual people into a group, it's just causing segregation and treating them differently ;) It often makes me laugh when people in an argument have to point out that "I'm black and I...", "I'm Irish and I...", "I'm *** and I..", "I'm a gypsy and I...".... Well I don't care what you are, I'm not going to treat you differently until you give me a reason to :)

Far too many people scream about equality one minute while pointing out that people are black, asian, disabled or poor in the next breathe - if they don't want people to treat other people differently, stop pointing out their niche! If someone in a wheelchair spills their drink all over their face, I'll happily have a laugh with them, not because they are in a wheelchair, but because I'd do the same to someone who wasn't in a chair.

My point before was that, by the very definition of normal, homosexuality is not. Also from a biological and evolutionary point of view - but again, that doesn't mean that they should be treated with disdain :)

Biomech said .....Although I'm of the opinion that everyone is treated the same - until they open their mouth, that's when I make my judgements. By taking all of the non heterosexual people into a group, it's just causing segregation and treating them differently ;) It often makes me laugh when people in an argument have to point out that "I'm black and I...", "I'm Irish and I...", "I'm *** and I..", "I'm a gypsy and I...".... Well I don't care what you are, I'm not going to treat you differently until you give me a reason to :)

Biomech ...I agree with the above paragraph 100% , nothing more to add.

Good Lord. The list is growing. While we are at it, lets throw the disabled into the mix. We surely can't describe them as normal as us. This is good or, depending on your point of view, a very bad thing that exposes a side of ourselves that ain't to attractive.

Oxford English Dictionary

normal

Pronunciation: /ˈnÉ”Ëm(É™)l/

adjective

1 conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected:

(of a person) free from physical or mental disorders:

until her accident Louise had been a perfectly normal little girl

many previously normal people exhibit psychotic symptoms after a few nights without sleep

It's as simple as that, it really is.

Then it's sorted. I'm on my own. The argument is lost so lets get on and pass this message down to the next generation. If your ***, lesbian, disabled or different to you and me, they ain't bloody normal and they should quickly come to understand this conclusion and he happy they can enjoy equal rights and accept they can never be described as normal human beings.

And anyone, which is pretty much everybody, who disagrees with me is a bloody rotter if anything I ever utter or transmit is worth a jot of bloody notice.

Everyone has a right to live their lives as they wish to as long as they do not try to impose their way of living on anyone else. To bring the disabled into this in my opinion is disgraceful. The other posts on this subject suggest that if you are "different" in any way you are not normal, we do not live in a "perfect world" and none of us are "perfect" let us leave this subject now and move on to more important things that are affecting our lives!

Then it's sorted. I'm on my own. The argument is lost so lets get on and pass this message down to the next generation. If your ***, lesbian, disabled or different to you and me, they ain't bloody normal and they should quickly come to understand this conclusion and he happy they can enjoy equal rights and accept they can never be described as normal human beings.

And anyone, which is pretty much everybody, who disagrees with me is a bloody rotter if anything I ever utter or transmit is worth a jot of bloody notice.

Bobby you still seem to be confusing what is normal with what is acceptable.

Just because something isn't the norm, doesn't conform to a common standard or isn't apparent in the majority of cases... ie "not normal". Doesn't mean that it is intolerable and that those people should be treated any differently.

If you want to continue to try and redefine the English language, by all means crack on, but I think we've reached an impasse :)