Vortex Youth Centre?

Colin James

What is happening about a new youth centre for Newton Farm? there was some talk of the former vortex site, but not heard anything since?

Can anyone give us an update?

The Vortex site still belongs to Herefordshire council, I spoke to Colin Birks Property Operations Manager this afternoon he advised the site WILL NOT be sold to anyone for the building of houses. He said the council was considering giving the site to the community, like they have done recently in Ross-on-Wye. Anyone who can bring a business plan to the table for a community centre they would consider, I advised I still had the initial business plan for a multi use centre, he said when I was back at council he would set up a meeting with me.

What is happening about a new youth centre for Newton Farm? there was some talk of the former vortex site, but not heard anything since?

Can anyone give us an update?

The three large containers belong to Thomas Vale they are replacing the fire doors in three storey block and the doors are inside the containers. They have hired the land off herefordshire council.

• 6 months later...

The Vortex site still belongs to Herefordshire council, I spoke to Colin Birks Property Operations Manager this afternoon he advised the site WILL NOT be sold to anyone for the building of houses. He said the council was considering giving the site to the community, like they have done recently in Ross-on-Wye. Anyone who can bring a business plan to the table for a community centre they would consider, I advised I still had the initial business plan for a multi use centre, he said when I was back at council he would set up a meeting with me.

So what happened at your meeting?

• 1 year later...

Think you need another chat with Mr Colin Birks...

I have asked for a meeting with Alison Hext who everyone has to send their objections to, many people are objecting to the Vortex site being used for Housing as part of the re-development of the Oval. A meeting was called by residents two weeks ago and letters of objection and a petition has been signed by many people on Newton Farm and sent to Alison Hext, there should be a story in this weeks Journal and Hereford Times. Anyone wishing to support these residents should send an objection letter to :

Alison Hext

valuation and Estates manager,

Herefordshire Council

PO box 4

Hereford HR4 0XH.

or take it direct to her in Plough Lane council offices by 7th NOVEMBER 2012.!