Local Election Results

Hereford Voice

The Conservative Party has lost overall control of Herefordshire Council.

election-results-banner-01.thumb.jpg.3d19bfb6a0efd79236d4a2e2430e9548.jpg

The Tories won 13 seats in total, losing half the amount they previously held.

The feeling among many of the Conservative candidates was that the national picture, and in particular the handling of Brexit had badly affected their results.

Herefordshire Independent Group Leader Bob Matthews has said it is an "excellent result" that was "better than expected".

New Council make-up following results;

Independent: 18
Conservative: 13
It's Our County: 8
Green: 7
Lib Dems: 6

Brian Wilcox has disappeared from the major prize for the College Ward but is still going to pop up as a Parish Ward Councillor. I noticed as it's where I live! I will now have to pay attention to the activities of Kath Hey. It's like Musical Chairs around here! I'm sure Kath Hey has been a Councillor before! Probably up until the other day! How committed is she to my Ward tho? She preferred to represent a different Ward last time! #PoliticalParachutes 

She was an IOC Hereford City Councillor for Tupsley Ward, now promoted to play with the big boys and fair doos, anyone who manages to depose BW is to be applauded. I'm not sure of the new make up of the City Council, I haven't seen any analysis as yet, but I expect he'll have one or two blues for moral support.

• Smile 1

Kath can always call on my door if she is interested in my view, or indeed, her new Ward. She can leave a card if I'm not in. In this Brexit phase I am after engagement. Disappearing for a few years from my doorstep, after she got voted in, would never get my vote in the future. I am totally aware, of course, that she has no influence over Brexit. I am very influenced in how much she wants to engage with the people she is representing. She got 374 votes so she needs to engage with expectations. My email is roger.lfc@gmail.com Over to her! 

The City Council have little impact

As to the County I am sure that the Conservatives are a bit depressed today but perhaps smiling inwardly

We will now have to see how all those who have complained about their administrations now get on when they are in the driving seat. The main issue for them is how to deal with the huge cost/overspends in adult social care and children's services given that almost all national funding has gone. The conservatives plans for housebuilding was an attempt to bring in younger families so as the alter the severe imbalance in the population (too many old people spending taxpayers money) and bring in more council tax but it seems that the other parties will be likely to change this. 

Whatever your views on a bypass and the SLR will they be brave enough to cancel it all  

But Roger I seem to recall you were not voting - now you expect the elected person to call on you - bit rich isn't it?

With any luck Kath also works unlike some of these retired Cons who are now no longer in the old boy network Con Club. Councillors who also work for a living have a different perspective and see the county and life for what it is like compared with some of these rich retired blow ins who decide to take up local politics initially to get them out of the house and from under the wife's feet.  

Must be a funny life for these old boys who have stuck with it and now find they do not have meetings to attend. Oh well they will now have to take up other pursuits to occupy their lives. They are very keen on suggesting people volunteer to do good work perhaps they can now set an example and give some back

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Denise Lloyd said:

But Roger I seem to recall you were not voting - now you expect the elected person to call on you - bit rich isn't it?

With any luck Kath also works unlike some of these retired Cons who are now no longer in the old boy network Con Club. Councillors who also work for a living have a different perspective and see the county and life for what it is like compared with some of these rich retired blow ins who decide to take up local politics initially to get them out of the house and from under the wife's feet.  

Must be a funny life for these old boys who have stuck with it and now find they do not have meetings to attend. Oh well they will now have to take up other pursuits to occupy their lives. They are very keen on suggesting people volunteer to do good work perhaps they can now set an example and give some back

Perhaps Denise you can enlighten us all as to the voluntary work you do?

AV I do actually have a smidgeon of sympathy for those Councillors who lost their seats yesterday. Having lost jobs through redundancy or just straight forward sackings I know just how soul destroying it can be. And the older you get the more it hurts.  It must be very strange for the Councillors who have been at it for years to suddenly and very publicly find out that basically they are no longer required. In fact it will hurt like hell.

I do not need to explain the voluntary work I do I am a a fully paid up member of society and what I now do is my business and my business only!!

Looking at the names of Tory councillors that have gone 4 were cabinet members and Brian Wilcox was the chairman of the council, but he will be alright because he a magistrate at Hereford Court. and Harry Bremer own 6 castles across the country, he a multi millionaire I think the only thing that will hurt is their pride.

22 hours ago, Roger said:

Kath can always call on my door if she is interested in my view, or indeed, her new Ward. She can leave a card if I'm not in. In this Brexit phase I am after engagement. Disappearing for a few years from my doorstep, after she got voted in, would never get my vote in the future. I am totally aware, of course, that she has no influence over Brexit. I am very influenced in how much she wants to engage with the people she is representing. She got 374 votes so she needs to engage with expectations. My email is roger.lfc@gmail.com Over to her! 

Given that Cllr Hey will also be Mayor this year, she may be too busy to come knocking on your door ...

Her deputy elect IOC Paul Stevens lost his seat at Widemarsh Parish Ward, so that position is yet to be re-allocated. Given that (according to City Council minutes), in the four years since elected, he has declined all invitations to civic events, stating he does not partake in official or civic events, it's probably just as well.

11 hours ago, Denise Lloyd said:

I never voted. Correct. I never fancied any of the Candidates and I was physically unable to vote anyway due to the fact that I was travelling. I don't do Postal voting. I think it's a valid viewpoint that new Councillors need to nurture a future vote. 

A message from Harry Bramer

Dear Editor

I write in my last few days as the Mayor of Ross to say a huge thank you to all those that have supported me and my consort Marie Ward in the 100 or so civic events we have attended on behalf of the Town and the residents of Ross.

It has been 16 years since I entered local politics by winning Penyard Ward in 2003 to gain my seat on Herefordshire Council and a place on the Town Council in 2007.

The unusual national political scene has led to a deserved back-lash against the major parties nationally and regrettably this trend has been replicated in the local elections and I, together with many local politicians who have years of active service to the local community, now find ourselves on the side-lines.

I truly trust that many of the items such as the Campaign to Protect the Minor Injuries Unit at Ross Hospital, or the building of 150,000 sq ft of business space creating 1000 highly paid jobs at Ross Enterprise Park or even the attempt to save The Chase Hotel with its beautiful grounds for the people of Ross, will not now be overturned simply by those with just a desire to be the ‘new broom’.

One thing that the new politicians, and those now on the side-lines, can I am sure agree is that Ross deserves better and with continued and concentrated care and attention – it can be further regenerated and once more become the ‘jewel in the crown’ in the Wye Valley.

Harry Bramer

Penyard

It is over a week now and still the public have no idea who will be running the Herefordshire Council. I hear that various parties/councillors are arguing over who gets which job etc. So much for the supposed alliance which seems to have hit the skids

Perhaps we were better off for all their faults with the Conservatives?

The new Hereford Mayor was been sworn in on Monday evening its  in HT, one comment underneath  is asking about Cllr Mathews and his "alliance" rumour has it that the independents and others member s of the "alliance" used that as a ploy to get elected, as the independents is getting into bed with the Tories to run the council. When I was a councillor the independents always came down on the side of the Tories, but I DIDN'T, funny how Phil Edwards became deputy chairman to Brian Wilcox on the council since 2015, but he ALWAYS sided with the Tories on every decision made. The people of Hereford has been "hoodwinked".