University campus on Station Approach

ragwert

Thanks for digging this out, Ragwert.  I hate to be critical but this location does not seem to be the best idea. This car park is well-used for the station, and if folk reach Hereford on a train late at night (especially women) then having a car close by for getting home can be very important. If the Uni campus is built here it will also increase demand for parking considerably, in other nearby car parks. This site is on a busy junction, and increased traffic and pedestrians are likely to slow the flow of traffic from Aylestone Hill into town still further. They have said that all students will use bikes.  But where are the cycle paths that would make this work well?

I can see that this site is "available" and easy to build on, but isn't there a better option?

I think I have heard that they may build a multi-story car park on the country bus station site. In my opinion this wouldn't suit many people, especially the elderly and disabled. Too far from the station, too far from town, - although good for the hospital and, I suppose, the proposed uni campus building.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Cloudberry said:

Thanks for digging this out, Ragwert.  I hate to be critical but this location does not seem to be the best idea. This car park is well-used for the station, and if folk reach Hereford on a train late at night (especially women) then having a car close by for getting home can be very important.

Agree, especially as the station is unmanned after 9.30pm.

Few other bits I have found.It looks likely to be called Herefordshire or Hereford  UniverCITY .The name proposed is flexible enough to add the ‘University’ tag in the future once they have degree awarding powers.
A city wide bike share scheme called 'Herebike' The scheme is operated via an app on the users mobile phone which unlocks the bike once the hire period has been paid for. All bikes are geo tagged and there is a geo fence area that the bike will not operate outside of.Funding for this scheme has already been given by DOT.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ragwert said:

Few other bits I have found.It looks likely to be called Herefordshire or Hereford  UniverCITY .The name proposed is flexible enough to add the ‘University’ tag in the future once they have degree awarding powers.
A city wide bike share scheme called 'Herebike' The scheme is operated via an app on the users mobile phone which unlocks the bike once the hire period has been paid for. All bikes are geo tagged and there is a geo fence area that the bike will not operate outside of.Funding for this scheme has already been given by DOT.

So expect an increase in bikes dumped in the river then? :) :) at least they will be able to find them. A lot of these hire bike schemes have fallen flat in other countries due to them being dumped wherever the rider feels is convenient for them, leading to massive costs in recovering them. There was one in New Zealand (i think) that was found in the crater of an extinct volcano....good idea, lots of potential logistical issues though

11 hours ago, Denise Lloyd said:

Not all of the students will be able to cycle everywhere so bearing in mind all the learning activity is to be at Rotherwas(or a lot if not all) it would be very opportune now to push for a rail station at Rotherwas 

I'm sure most will be around the City Denise.
Along with the main uni on Station App they also have they buildings in St Owen St,St Peters St & the magistrates Court building in Gaol St.

On 24/08/2018 at 14:13, herefordman75 said:

So expect an increase in bikes dumped in the river then? :) :) at least they will be able to find them. A lot of these hire bike schemes have fallen flat in other countries due to them being dumped wherever the rider feels is convenient for them, leading to massive costs in recovering them. There was one in New Zealand (i think) that was found in the crater of an extinct volcano....good idea, lots of potential logistical issues though

And the schemes that have been a great success? London, for instance? 

A credit/debit card is needed to register for these schemes. If a bike isn't returned then it is charged to that card. I doubt very much that someone would dump a bike if it was going to cost them £££!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:23, ragwert said:

After a little bit of digging I have found that the Uni Campus looks set to be built on the Station Approach car park.
The car park will be closed from August 28th til September 7th for intrusive ground surveying.

See here

I would have thought that it would take more than a "little bit of digging" with your bucket and spade to build a UniverCity complex!:Surprised_32:. LOL.

• 1 month later...

Marc Willimont‏ @Marc_Willimont

FollowingFollowing @Marc_Willimont

More

Student halls of residence planning application has just been submitted on the old Rockfield site next to #Hereford railway station - to be determined by Herefordshire Council's planning committee. https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/news/article/666/student_accommodation_planning_application_submitted …

• Thumbs Up 1