Traffic Solutions for Hereford - Dream On!

Colin James

Can someone please explain how the picture on the left with a few added tree's (WHICH WILL NEED MAINTAINING unless, they are just going to plant them and leave them to eventually become overgrown and meet the tree's either side of the road causing a dark canopy, so basically a tick box exercise) will suddenly become the picture on the right?

Dream On!.png

This is clearly only one section that I have highlighted here for South Wye. Personally, I think the tree boulevard is a stupid idea that will achieve nothing.

See the full report below and make up your own minds.

Herefordshire Council Local Transport Plan 2016-2031

I cannot think of anything worse for Belmont Rd right now than narrowing the road and placing trees down the centre.

Why are the council and highways agency NOT addressing the real issue here which is the poxy traffic lights and the fact that we need at least 2 more river crossings for starters. Reading this report, they have not even considered turning off the traffic lights at night, which I though was a brilliant idea.

The trees is the dream of Phil Edwards, he also said he wanted a cycle lane /bus lane down the left hand side of Belmont road, can you imagine the cars wanting to turning into walnut  Tree Ave they will have to come out of the left hand lane such as it will be to turn right. he was only speaking about this last Saturday at the Independents meeting I attended, throwing his hands in the air with a grin on his face saying that everyone wants this road, He was told to dream on no one wants it !!!

The trees is the dream of Phil Edwards, he also said he wanted a cycle lane /bus lane down the left hand side of Belmont road, can you imagine the cars wanting to turning into walnut  Tree Ave they will have to come out of the left hand lane such as it will be to turn right. he was only speaking about this last Saturday at the Independents meeting I attended, throwing his hands in the air with a grin on his face saying that everyone wants this road, He was told to dream on no one wants it !!!

Don't get me started on bloody cycle lanes.

Too few cyclists who NEVER seem to use them,and this coming from a cyclist and motorist.pi*%*s me off every single day seeing cyclists using the road with a cycle 

lane RIGHT NEXT TO THEM.

And trees down Belmont Road,that will reduce congestion....Ptttfffffff

I'm with Steve Major on this and probably every other sane person who uses the roads in and around the City on a daily basis,the Highways agency needs to start listening to

the people of Hereford and take immediate action on the serious issues we have day in and day out.

Traffic lights are a blight on this City,they are one of the main reasons for traffic congestion.

We have way to many put in places they quite simply do not need to be,Newmarket Roundabout,Edgar St-Blackfriars junction.Blackfriars St-Old market for instance.

No good us spouting our anger on here all the time,no one listens.

Why do we need a cycle lane down Belmont road? When ever I am cycling to and from Belmont I use the Great Western Way and the cycle path up the back of Tesco, I just wish that they would get on with the extension up to Belmont Abbey/Ruckall Lane as then on the longer evenings I could go a bit further and enjoy the beauty of Herefordshire - with great views of the Cathedral from that lane. This week I have seen so many young children learning to ride their bikes being taught by their parents along the GWW.  I personally would rather the Council had spent money on cycling infrastructure than all the consultants and documents spent on this "plan". I wanted to respond to the Local Transport Plan for the rubbish that it is, but it was impossible. What on earth is an SEA? I would be interested to know if all the Cabinet members and elected councillors actually read and responded to this consultation, and if so, how easy did they find it?. 

AS Hereford Voice has said for many years - there could be a lot of simpler (and cheaper) ways to tackle congestion in Hereford than all the Councils daft ideas -  turning off traffic lights

Can I suggest my own traffic solutions - before any decisons on transport are made :-

1. Council are not allowed to install a new set of traffic lights unless they have first removed 2 sets of traffic lights elsewhere.

2. Councillors can only vote on transport issues when they have each spent a month walking, cycling and using public transport  and not using their cars in any way. (I think a young person challenged some to do this and I am not aware that any took it up).

I sometimes wonder if the people making the decisions actually know how to get around Hereford, especially if you are on a low income and cant afford a car. 

I don't want to get into a rant about cyclists and cycle lanes, but I'm a cyclist and a driver who can give some perspective.

Why aren't cycle lanes used? They are there to fulfil tick box criteria and draw down government monies. Most are really, really badly designed and many are plain unsafe. Sometimes they offer a less dangerous route than the road offers, through a junction for instance. Occasionally, routes such as the Great Western Way and the Greenway offer excellent ways to move around and avoid traffic.

When I'm riding, I want to ride - I don't want to have to stop every 50m because the lane crosses a road junction and I have to defer to the car. I don't want to keep stopping for idiotic 90 degree bends and barriers to weave through, and, heaven help us, yet more chuffing traffic lights for a lane to cross a road. Lanes are not swept and are covered in puncture material - trafficked roads are largely self-sweeping. Lanes are inhabited by pedestrians who have no sense of what is around them or how to behave - jaywalking, headphones on, staring at a mobile, dogs wandering, dog leads etc etc. So I have to stop or slow down or sound my bell and get a load of abuse for it.

Why should I use the lanes when they're not fit for purpose? I have a right to cycle on the roads, even if there is a lane RIGHT NEXT TO THEM! 

I don't want to get into a rant about cyclists and cycle lanes, but I'm a cyclist and a driver who can give some perspective.

Why aren't cycle lanes used? They are there to fulfil tick box criteria and draw down government monies. Most are really, really badly designed and many are plain unsafe. Sometimes they offer a less dangerous route than the road offers, through a junction for instance. Occasionally, routes such as the Great Western Way and the Greenway offer excellent ways to move around and avoid traffic.

When I'm riding, I want to ride - I don't want to have to stop every 50m because the lane crosses a road junction and I have to defer to the car. I don't want to keep stopping for idiotic 90 degree bends and barriers to weave through, and, heaven help us, yet more chuffing traffic lights for a lane to cross a road. Lanes are not swept and are covered in puncture material - trafficked roads are largely self-sweeping. Lanes are inhabited by pedestrians who have no sense of what is around them or how to behave - jaywalking, headphones on, staring at a mobile, dogs wandering, dog leads etc etc. So I have to stop or slow down or sound my bell and get a load of abuse for it.

Why should I use the lanes when they're not fit for purpose? I have a right to cycle on the roads, even if there is a lane RIGHT NEXT TO THEM! 

Some good points raised here.  :Thumbs-Up:

Having just spoken to a councillor of many years service I asked about this road, he has advised me that the trees, cycle and bus lane along Belmont road has been quashed months ago, and if this road is passed when it goes to cabinet there will be a lot of problems. Therefore the pictures in the Core Strategy  is misleading!

The idea of the trees being Phil Edwards sums him up educated beyond his intelligence . As it is now it does give the emergency services a chance to attend critical situations if there is an avenue of trees they will be held up for long periods i minute in a critical situation is the difference between life and death sometimes.

Having just spoken to a councillor of many years service I asked about this road, he has advised me that the trees, cycle and bus lane along Belmont road has been quashed months ago, and if this road is passed when it goes to cabinet there will be a lot of problems. Therefore the pictures in the Core Strategy  is misleading!

Glenda I thought this plan for Belmont Road was all part of the South Wye Transport Package as this was what was shown at the public meetings in Belmont. If this isnt happening in South Wye what is? Is it just the new Southern Link Road with nothing else happening?

If you look at the link on Colin initial post on the subject, the link is the Core Strategy, the LTP and the South Wye Transport Package are different parts of the Core Strategy when  we went to Belmont Abbey because the Core Strategy was the subject of a Inspectors inquiry hense why it did not go ahead.The South Wye Transport Package was brought to the public attention around 3/4 years ago at a consultation over three consecutive days at the Three Counties Hotel, I attended at different times over the three days to speak to the people as a Belmont councillor, all other councillors turned up on the afternoon of the last day. The South Wye Package is the linking of the A465 Belmont road and A49 Ross road also linking up to the Rotherwas Access Road.It wasn't until we attended the consultation where we found out the river crossing in the original plan  was dropped.that is why I called it the "road to no where" It is supposed to ease the congestion  on both roads but it won't because all its doing is moving the traffic from the A465 to the A49 with no alternative route once you get to Rotherwas.

The tree idea is ridiculous and will cause even bigger problems long term, the council cannot afford to pay BB now for tree maintenance so can you imagine what this will look like in 10 years time! I agree with Denise, emergency vehicles use the middle section of the road and in my opinion it should be kept clear.

I hear you brother. I can make Belmont to train station in 7 minutes via 95% GWW on bike and that's not pushing it! 20+ on a good day in car!!! (10 of that sat at needless traffic lights!)

Could you tell me where I could do this via cycle lanes main roads and adhering to Highway Code?? Do Southside even have any cycle lanes apart from the unusable Holme lacy road one?

I have noticed that the GWW has been ear marked for a few "dab & run" repairs. It's been atleast 15years since it was last "repaired"! (Maybe we could also incorporate this into the annual GWW cleanup with BB help?)

Luckily my work hours don't let me encounter the carnage of school run on GWW.

CLUELESS or IGNORNANT 98% of them. I'd rather use the road.