One month left to microchip your dog or face a hefty fine

megilleland

Jessica Phillips / Friday 4 March 2016 / Hereford Times News

DOG owners in Herefordshire could face fines of up to £500 if they do not adhere to strict new laws.

From April 6 2016 it will be compulsory for all dogs aged eight weeks and over in the UK to have a microchip.

Owners failing to do so could be fined as part of the new rules, which have been broadly welcomed by animal welfare charities.

According to a Dogs Trust survey in 2014, modern technologies like microchipping accounted for more than 10,000 dogs being reunited with their owners that year and it says that figure is growing.

Statistics show approximately 1.8 million dogs still do not have a microchip in the UK, but 80 per cent of the pet dog population does currently comply with the new law.

The new legislation is designed to prevent illegal breeding of dogs, bring owners to account for a dogs aggressive behaviour and reunite lost pets with their rightful owners quickly.

All breeders must microchip their puppies by eight-weeks-old and before they are transferred to a new keeper, who will be responsible for updating it with their details.

Maybe they can track and trace the owners of dog mess left on open spaces and verges around Newton Farm estate. Match up the DNA of the poo with the microchip details. The council would make a fortune in fines!

If I had a dog there is no way I would get it microchipped, i would prefer to take the risk of getting fined, which is pretty slim because  your dog cause a problem. who is going to check? There is no one to check i do not think we have dog wardens any more.

The reason I would not have it chipped is because there have been claims that the chip can cause cancer.

If I had a dog there is no way I would get it microchipped, i would prefer to take the risk of getting fined, which is pretty slim because  your dog cause a problem. who is going to check? There is no one to check i do not think we have dog wardens any more.

The reason I would not have it chipped is because there have been claims that the chip can cause cancer.

The microchipping I agree with. The wheel will only come off in the papers when you get some crazy case (in something like the Daily Mail) when someone is fined a lot for something stupid.  You won't see an army of pet scanning patrol wardens ever. Not when 'parking' is the 'cash cow' for the Council. 

I am a pet owner 2 dogs and 3 cats all my animals are Micro chipped.Over the years I have had 3 stray cats turn up on my door step none were Micro chipped if they had been I would have been able to return them to there owners. Responsible pet owners who care about there animals get them Micro chipped.If I was away and one of my dogs ran off and someone found them how would they know who they belonged to.Lots of things cause Cancer and we still do them.

What utter rubbish! It is merely a tiny chip placed just under the skin. I agree with the fines and yes there are still dog wardens and also private dog wardens too like the RSPCA, what planet are you on?

What utter rubbish! It is merely a tiny chip placed just under the skin. I agree with the fines and yes there are still dog wardens and also private dog wardens too like the RSPCA, what planet are you on?

Do a bit of research before shouting utter rubbish. some dogs have had abnormal cells where the chip is as the body reacts to it and in turn causes cancer. Granted it have only happened to a few dogs, still not sure if I would take the chance. 

Never see Dog wardens around and can the RSPCA dog wardens legally do anything? 

There will be a load of dogs that are not chipped, it will be almost impossible to police and expensive., just like the old dog licence was. 

It still not going to stop people watching their dog mess on the floor and leave it.

Seriously Adrian, I am almost beyond words...  

You are the one spouting utter rubbish...

You would rather be fined that microchip your dog?  Mental.

As for the cancer claim...  You might as well say that making a dog wear a collar causes cancer because some dogs have abnormal cells!

it is actually quite common for the chip to move from the place it is inserted anyway.  One of my dogs chips is now under her front shoulder, you can feel it quite easily.

To not get your pet 'chipped because of some spurious cancer claim is completely irresponsible in my opinion.