The Old Whitecross School Site

LS86

Thanks Denise, I'll have a deeper look on here. Seems as if it will continue to be fenced off wasteland for a while longer though. Surely it would make sense to build here and fit 100-130 houses on the plot. Especially if they were low cost so could attract young families or first time buyers and not 2nd home owners.

One of the issues was the fact that it was claimed to be a flood risk from Yazor Brook!?

Anyone with any knowledge of the area will know that is so highly unlikely to be non-existent.

I have lived in the area most of my life and went to WX school in the '80's and I have only ever known the brook to flood enough to actually get into what was the playground on one occasion.

The original access was to be through the Bulmers access road off Yazor Road if I believe, maybe there were complaints from the residents on Sherrington Drive, amongst other things?

Thanks for both your responses, So come next year it will be 10 years since the school was demolished and it remains as it was left. I just dont understand why with a City in need of housing and talk of building on fields why sites like this arent being utilised!?

If there is no intention to build on this site any longer then how long will it be left like it is? Why not remove all the hardocore and return it to a field.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for both your responses, So come next year it will be 10 years since the school was demolished and it remains as it was left

That was the global financial crisis for you. Still not fully out of it and more financial uncertainty brewing in the last few weeks. We've been on a 0.5% BoE base interest rate for donkeys years. Budget tomorrow.  

That was the global financial crisis for you. Still not fully out of it and more financial uncertainty brewing in the last few weeks. We've been on a 0.5% BoE base interest rate for donkeys years. Budget tomorrow.

Don't forget though that the misfortunes of the budget is due to Top Gear's filming stunt!

I quote Osborne

"it was so noisy I couldn't concentrate on doing the budget"

Don't forget though that the misfortunes of the budget is due to Top Gear's filming stunt!

I quote Osborne

"it was so noisy I couldn't concentrate on doing the budget"

One of his serf's would have wrote that. But at the risk of going off topic I think that the new 'Top Gear' is seriously in trouble. Chris Evans is multi tasking too much. TFI/R2/TopGear .... Seriously ? Plus the Producer of the old show has defected to Amazon. The new Top Gear Executive Producer ditched. I think the new show will be a car crash.