Hate Crime Event

Colin James

Would you like to find out more about hate crime, how to report it and the support available to victims?

Hate Crime Event.jpg

Officers from the local the Safer Neighbourhood Team will be on hand at a hate crime awareness event at The Courtyard, Edgar Street, Hereford, on Monday 14th September between 2pm and 6pm. They will be joined at this drop-in event by a range of other organisations that offer support to victims of hate crime including:
• Victim Support
• Citizen’s Advice Bureau
• Herefordshire Interfaith Group
• Herefordshire Autism Partnership
• The Learning Disability Board
• Stoneham Housing
• The Local Independent Advisory Group
• Mencap
• The Gender Trust

Seemed to be fairly hard work to get the Christian Bagley Murder meeting off the ground but this 'hate crime meeting' has been parachuted in at the drop of a hat. 

Is this because there is loads of 'hate crime' locally ?

More likely the locals have been sucked into a regional project by someone who has read some 'blue sky thinking' manual ..... 

Well there's certainly a raft of folks with bigoted opinions and narrow minds around.

In fact there appears to be no shortage of that on this very forum.

I no longer wish to be associated with it.

Hmmm again, you cannot have an opinion these days Roger I thought you knew that. On another note, have you seen the poll about bringing refugees to Hereford on the HT website? Seems peoples opinions are not limited to just this forum and the same on another local site too I notice. 

Hmmm again, you cannot have an opinion these days Roger I thought you knew that. On another note, have you seen the poll about bringing refugees to Hereford on the HT website? Seems peoples opinions are not limited to just this forum and the same on another local site too I notice.

I saw this Steve and it saddens me after all just 10 families.

As the Conservative crew report back to HQ about the underlying feeling of its constituents in our shires it's a sure thing that our time in the EU is coming to an end after all this Government depends upon its rural associations....and these predominantly white ...sorry I should not have said that.(not been to the meeting yet). They are saying no unless of course they can be used as cheap labour.

My job has always meant that I cannot differentiate between race,colour,religion or creed everyone treated the same even the drunk idiot that turns up on your doorstep every bloody night stealing ya precious resources.

We are a democracy but sadly it's our fear of losing said democracy that is reverting us back to a time long ago,throwing away much of what this country has achieved.

I do understand the fear after all we are more likely to absorb the TV images first rather than listen to the reporters piece and as my wife observed..." why are they mainly men, where are the women and children".

This household would assist a family but a community group of twenty men pitched up in a shack down the road well my wife would not be comfortable about it and nor would I.

I want to go to this meeting to understand how the authorities intend to sell the concept because at the moment all I can see is 'selective reporting'.

As you said Steve this is an opinion a point of view and its mine.

I saw this Steve and it saddens me after all just 10 families.

As the Conservative crew report back to HQ about the underlying feeling of its constituents in our shires it's a sure thing that our time in the EU is coming to an end after all this Government depends upon its rural associations....and these predominantly white ...sorry I should not have said that.(not been to the meeting yet). They are saying no unless of course they can be used as cheap labour.

My job has always meant that I cannot differentiate between race,colour,religion or creed everyone treated the same even the drunk idiot that turns up on your doorstep every bloody night stealing ya precious resources.

We are a democracy but sadly it's our fear of losing said democracy that is reverting us back to a time long ago,throwing away much of what this country has achieved.

I do understand the fear after all we are more likely to absorb the TV images first rather than listen to the reporters piece and as my wife observed..." why are they mainly men, where are the women and children".

This household would assist a family but a community group of twenty men pitched up in a shack down the road well my wife would not be comfortable about it and nor would I.

I want to go to this meeting to understand how the authorities intend to sell the concept because at the moment all I can see is 'selective reporting'.

As you said Steve this is an opinion a point of view and its mine.

I agree grenknight, personally the meeting on the surface looks like a good idea. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after.  :Happy_32:

There are several members who would benefit greatly from understanding just what a hate crime is.

As opposed to what? An I-really-like-you crime? (With apologies to Gene Hunt).

Wouldn't the justice system be better concentrating its resources on nicking offenders and giving them the appropriate sentences without having to invent reasons for actually doing the job. If somebody commits a GBH they should be banged up, their motive is I would suggest largely irrelevant.

Well there's certainly a raft of folks with bigoted opinions and narrow minds around.

In fact there appears to be no shortage of that on this very forum.

I no longer wish to be associated with it.

Do you want Hereford to just be a 'soup' of whoever may arrive here ? The young people are already leaving because of lack of opportunity. It's getting to be like the 'United Nations' here. 

Do you want Hereford to just be a 'soup' of whoever may arrive here ? The young people are already leaving because of lack of opportunity. It's getting to be like the 'United Nations' here.

Roger please mate, The "Soup" as you call it consists mainly of people that have come to work on farms in Herefordshire as you well know! Said farms owned and managed by entrepreneurial Herefordians see better profit margins as a result. Now of course should local young people choose to work the land as a career then that might have cast a different flavour within the fields of plenty perhaps more acceptable to the pallet of rural English types!

Of course there is nothing stopping some of our older generations working the land perhaps fortunate early retirees running a full pension in the early fifties!

I agree grenknight, personally the meeting on the surface looks like a good idea. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after.  :Happy_32:

Sadly it was quite a small turnout. I arrived around 16.15 and to be honest it was winding down.Councillor Chappell was present and it would be good to gauge his opinion.

Those members of the public that I spoke to shared my concerns about the resources available to the Police to carry through Hate Crime reporting to successful prosecutions.

I had been asked some weeks ago to attend and to say some words of welcome to those taking part. Hate crime is becoming less frequent in the county but we still have a long way to go before we see it off completely. I have seen all types of hate crime from the verbal to the ful Gbh, just because some one appears to be different!

Today we heard from a mother whose downe syndrome daughter had been harassed, spat at, beaten up, stripped naked and murdered by a group of young men because she was different!

There was a police officer from Warwickshire, who spoke about the problems he had had when he first joined the force as an ethnic minority police officer.

There was Penny Ellis, a TV who recently became chairman of the new Independent Advisory Group. The LIAG is a panel of representatives who advise the police on local policing issues and their effects on the community.

For those of us who work in the community, any attempt to stamp out hate crime, in what ever form, is welcome. Racist, sexist, homophobia, abuse of people with mental health or learning disabilities, people who are physically challenged are verbally and

physically abused still in the county.

Today was about highlighting what is happening, that hate crime will always be challenged when it is reported and that there are systems and groups in place to report the victims of hate crime.

I would welcome taking in ten families from Syria into the county and have written to the Leader of Council to tell him so. I have not bothered to read all the comments in the HT because many just made me so sad that after welcoming in Hungarians over 100 years ago, then Poles, many of who are married to Jones, Smith or Brown and a small but hard working Indian and Parkistani community, there are still Herefordians who treat foreigners like something the cat brought in!

The police in Herefordshire, working with various partners, are doing a great job trying to stamp out Hate Crime and its sister crime, Domestic Violence. We all have a part to play and already some of us are trying to highlight Hate Crime at an event during national Crime Hate week starting on 10th October.

I would welcome taking in ten families from Syria into the county and have written to the Leader of Council to tell him so.

8 affordable homes on the Agenda to be built at the old St. Martins swimming pool site .... I look forward to you for championing that cause .... 

Hate Crime and its sister crime, Domestic Violence. 

With all due respect you sound like you've attended some sort of Conference and absorbed some sort of Manual you got issued. Those sorts of Crimes are totally different. 

Roger, no, it is the other way round! I look forward to you supporting my idea of 8 affordable homes but mainly for elderly at the swimming pool site. After all, it is two years now since former cllr B ob Preece and I insisted that this site be used for this type of project. I have been able to confer all the way through this planning application from the beginning. I look forward to your support also, for the planning application for the new Women's Refuge, which has already received some negative responses.

It is worrying that you think Hate Crime and Domestic Violence crime are not similar. The consequences of both are often the same and destroy not just victims but their families. Hopefully you will have the opportunity during national Hate Crime week to come to other events where the victims and the groups who support them can explain to you just some of the results of these crimes that have happened in Herefordshire.