Double yellows by Co-op

My mother in law lives close to this junction and cannot wait for the lines to be painted.

Traffic calming with 20 mph speed limit are also needed.

Most people are parking on the corner and nipping in and out to the Co-Op. Two minute stay  .... Anyone getting a ticket would have a high chance of meeting the attendant issuing it. A recipe for confrontation. They don't like that one. Hence taxis park all day on Bewell Street with zero enforcement. 

Just spoken to her and she says gypsy 's have moved onto the footie pitch on old school lane

Old news ..... 

My mother in law lives close to this junction and cannot wait for the lines to be painted.

Traffic calming with 20 mph speed limit are also needed.

Agree, saying that if you go any faster on the roads up here you end up with something broken, the roads are awful around here.

Been waiting for double yellows for a while now, but as been said it may be difficult to enforce.

Agree, saying that if you go any faster on the roads up here you end up with something broken, the roads are awful around here.

Been waiting for double yellows for a while now, but as been said it may be difficult to enforce.

You could open a profitable business around Kingsway selling mirrors.

You could open a profitable business around Kingsway selling mirrors.

It can get tight along that road. Plus that line of cars parked on College Road between Penn Grove Road and the Barrs Court Road junction ain't brilliant. I think that is one nettle too far for the Council to grasp. 

• 4 months later...

Waste of time ...it's difficult to see who will enforce!

It will be confrontational to enforce [potentially] as a purchase can take less than a couple of minutes to complete at the shop if there is no queue. The attendant might very well meet the unhappy recipient of the PCN. But if there is money to be made there then The Council will be present .... 

Proposal approved. Traffic Order will be in force from 7 November 2015. Subject to the lines being painted I suppose.

Herefordshire Council

Good, about time before someone gets killed.

Waste of time ...it's difficult to see who will enforce!

Oh right, lets get rid of all double yellow lines then. Not that it makes much difference, because people do seem to ignore them, even to the point of people parking on pavements or putting fork trucks on pavements as well.

North Devon Journal - October 14, 2015

A NEW scheme allowing drivers to pay £5 a day to ignore double yellow lines has been criticised for being "just another way to make money."

Devon County Council's dispensation scheme lets drivers apply for temporary permits entitling them to park almost anywhere in the county.

To qualify for a permit you need to be a business owner, landlord or a contractor.

So this scheme is not for the ordinary motorist, they will be just inconvenienced by other peoples vehicles - appears a bit discriminatory. Next it will a motorists passport for sale allowing parking anywhere - even in yellow junction boxes. Can't see any local authority members taking advantage of this scheme - can you?

Devon County Council parking dispensations fact sheet

Oh right, lets get rid of all double yellow lines then. Not that it makes much difference, because people do seem to ignore them, even to the point of people parking on pavements or putting fork trucks on pavements as well.

That's my point Adrian, they are ignored because resources are lacking. There is an easy example a short walk away at the blind college where the little primary school is located. The magic yellow line is present as is a pelican crossing and zig zags. Yet twice a day in term time they come, it's a free for all, parking/dropping off any where they like. Now this is just two short times frames every term time day yet has anyone seen enforcement here!

Are you really going to stalk this location hell bent on targetting this junction where the majority are just "popping in " for a lotto ticket and fags!...good luck with that. Personally I would make it bloody difficult to park there and enforce the parking outside the school instead. Yellow lines won't stop this parking abuse but hard barriers might.. except of course the shop would have something to say about that!

I've seen people on mobile phones in stationary traffic driving past the police station so sadly repeat offenders of all such mister meanest run with one law and that's "sods". It never works for them only you and me!

• 3 weeks later...

I used the Co-Op tonight at about 17.45 .... It was carnage on that corner with a combination of rush hour Friday traffic/shop pavement parkers and it was dark. The yellow lines have not been painted despite the traffic order being 'live' for the last three weeks .... I obviously parked half on the pavement near the junction/shop as if I hadn't there was a car behind me who would have! 

I used the Co-Op tonight at about 17.45 .... It was carnage on that corner with a combination of rush hour Friday traffic/shop pavement parkers and it was dark. The yellow lines have not been painted despite the traffic order being 'live' for the last three weeks .... I obviously parked half on the pavement near the junction/shop as if I hadn't there was a car behind me who would have! 

There was an accident there last night when a car went into the back of one parked outside the co-op

Also the traffic counter and excessive speed counters have also not been installed as were promised by

Cllr Willcox

So Roger do you really think there will be enforcement during the winter months when it's dark?

Cllr Willcox

He was in Morrison's tonight doing some shopping when I was there!  Buying a fair bit of stuff in one of those shallow trolleys. Was in a suit so must have been doing something reasonably important today! 

So Roger do you really think there will be enforcement during the winter months when it's dark?

Unknown. But if you can get a 'net' cash profit for the labour cost of issuing the ticket then maybe. But that area at night, in the dark, is an isolated spot if some Council enforcer wants to spark an argument! 

• 2 weeks later...

It's been over a month since that Traffic Order was passed. Total chaos at that junction tonight at 5pm. Cars abandoned everywhere (including mine) but strangely no queue at the till in the shop! 

No yellow lines have appeared yet.

Obviously the £2.6M surplus on the parking tax must have been spent ~ otherwise The Council could have bought a pot of paint and a couple of signs ... ....   :tongue_32:

• 2 months later...

Over 3 months since the traffic order was passed. No lines painted. 

They are going to be done in March.

The Co-op is having a car park built at the rear

There was a bad accident 100 yds from Co-op on Monday when a mortor cyclist hit a car reversing out of a driveway,nothing

in Hereford Times though.