Hereford Locality Weekly Briefing

Colin James

I have acquired a briefing letter for councillors:

HEREFORD LOCALITY WEEKLY BRIEFING – WEEK ENDING 27th FEBRUARY 2015

Dear Councillors and Parish Clerks,

During the last week we are pleased to report that the reactive team in the locality completed the following works across the named Wards:

Burghill, Holmer & Lyde Ward

• 20 square metres of carriageway patching (potholes) in Broomhill, Burghill Lane (C1103 to C1095), Aylestone Hill, C1127 from Lyde Cross to Stone Cottage, C1095 (A4103 to Burghill) and Munstone Lane

Hollington Ward

• 10 square metres of carriageway patching (potholes) in Norton Brook Road
  • Grit bin in The Furrows, Little Dewchurch re-filled

Sutton Walls Ward

• 24 square metres of carriageway patching (potholes) in Ash Close and on the C1120 (A49 to Old School House)

St Martins & Hinton Ward

• 9 square metre of carriageway patching (potholes) in Walnut Tree Avenue, Pine Grove, Hinton Road, The Appleyard, Belmont Road, Hunderton Avenue, Honddu Close, Pencroft Road, Home Lane and Hillside Avenue
  • 2.25 footway patching in Hoarwithy Road
  • Gully clean and repair on Belmont Road

Please see below a summary of our key activities within the Hereford Locality over the last week.

Update from Shane (City South – Belmont, St Martins & Hinton, and Tupsley Wards; Rural – Backbury and Hollington Wards)

This week I have –

·         Raised defects in respect of potholes in Church Road outside Hampton Dene School (x3) and near to the junction with Canterbury Avenue (x 3), in Old Eign Hill (x 3), in Waterfield Road near to junction with Kingfisher Road (x 2), in Weston Beggard Lane (x 3), in Green Street, in St James Road, in Webb Tree Avenue, in Pilley Road

·         Liaised with a landowner in respect of a blocked ditch at The Rhydd, Much Dewchurch

·         Inspected and raised a works order in respect of loose and broken kerbstones in Norton Avenue

·         Raised an order for grips to be cut at several locations along New Mills Farm Road, Little Dewchurch

·         Approved 2 dropped kerb applications

·         Attended the Annual Plan Members Briefing 

·         Carried out 17 NRSWA (street works) inspections.

Update from Mike (City North – Aylestone, Central, St Nicholas, and Three Elms Wards; Rural – Credenhill and Hagley Wards)

This week I have –

·         Completed the monthly Hereford City Centre safety inspection

·         Raised a number of c/way repairs to C1197 Stretton Sugwas in the vicinity of the village hall

·         Raised gully cleaning orders for drainage along the A438 by the junction with the C1197

·         Raised gully cleaning orders for drainage along the A480 from the jct with Priory Road to Stretton Sugwas roundabout

·         Raised gully cleaning orders for 5 x gullies in College Road and 3 x gullies in Penn Grove Road

·         Met with Cllr Wilcox to discuss issues in College Road and Bodenham Road

·         Raised an order for repairs to a sunken cover in Kings Acre Road c/way

·         Inspected / raised an order for repair to a damaged verge in Barrs Ct Road

·         Inspected and passed 6 x NRSWA street works jobs and 1 x failed

·         Approved 3 x vehicle dropped crossing requests

·         Inspected damaged guardrails in Barton Yard by Sainsburys

·         Spoken to a resident about an overgrown hedge obstructing the footway and the need to cut this back Credenhill

Update from Phil (Rural – Burghill, Holmer & Lyde, and Sutton Walls Wards)

• Annual Leave – 23rd to 26th inclusive
  • 27.2.15 - working in Hereford Rural.  Drive around ward with Cllr Guthrie primarily to look at issues on Franklands corner – 30 verge marker defects raised.  Gully defect logged outside S & A produce.   Pothole defects logged C1120 X 5, Ash Close X 1,  C1125 X 2 Cat 1’s ( both to be fixed today).  I also raised 5 X gully defects on C1125 after a site meeting with a resident.

Herefordshire Council website is the one-stop-shop for up to date information

Maps for pot holes are available on the Councils website –

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/transport-and-highways/maintenance/potholes

We hope the above is of interest.

Kind regards

Shane, Mike & Phil.

Shane Hancock | Senior Locality Steward (Hereford – City South)

Balfour Beatty Living Places | Unit 3, Thorn Business Park | Rotherwas | Hereford | HR2 6JT

www.bblivingplaces.com

It is also the same across the county. Posters in the North of county or Ross area also have locality managers working closely with Ward Councillors and parish clerks.

Traffic orders are taking up to two/ three years mainly because of demand but also that old chestnut, the law!!! I have several requests for parking restrictions but these all take time.

BBs contract States their Computer Systems must interact and feedback to the Councils IT systems. Which would mean that all reported work regardless of a work order raised needs to be recorded and reasons why some requests do not result in a work order.

Is a schedule of work given to Parish Councils so they can inform members of the public when a job will be completed if they get a repeat call? For example the trees mentioned in Glastonbury Close?

Also are all Parish Councillors registered data controllers, including Clerks and volunteers? I once called a Parish Councillor who was out so his wife took my details and said she'd pass them on not sure she was a registered data controller. Do all Parish Councils have Public a Liability insurance in the event they could be pursued under data protection or worse held to account for failing to report an issue that results in harm to a member of the public?

Interesting comment about the Glastonbury Close trees, Flam.

When Cllr Powell updated us, Balfour Beatty had said they were going out on the 23rd Feb...... so I'm surprised that in a schedule of works for week ending Feb 27th, there is no mention.

Must be an over sight......

It was one tree that had fallen down by the elderly residents properties in Glastonbury Close, it was removed. And yes it has been done!

Glenda, that must be a separate issue as the tree's that we are referring to are the one that need cutting back that I pointed out to you when you was visiting my neighbour recently, see photo:

Trees.jpg

NRSWA = New Roads and Street Works Act

Training courses within this category relate to the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA).

The New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) sets out the procedures and guidelines for personnel employed by local authorities, utilities companies and their contractors for the purpose of any road works in the highway or on footpaths. The Act and associated Codes of Practice cover issues such as, the notification requirements, safety to highway users and the standards required of the reinstatement of all excavations on the highway, standards for signing, lighting and guarding, etc. 

There are 16 NRSWA units of competence with the New Roads and Street Works Act. Unit 1 is for Supervisors and Operators, Units 2-9 are relevant to operators, and Units 10-16 are relevant to Supervisors. 

Courses on how to fill in the paperwork at approx £170 a person.

NRSWA = New Roads and Street Works Act

Training courses within this category relate to the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA).

The New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) sets out the procedures and guidelines for personnel employed by local authorities, utilities companies and their contractors for the purpose of any road works in the highway or on footpaths. The Act and associated Codes of Practice cover issues such as, the notification requirements, safety to highway users and the standards required of the reinstatement of all excavations on the highway, standards for signing, lighting and guarding, etc. 

There are 16 NRSWA units of competence with the New Roads and Street Works Act. Unit 1 is for Supervisors and Operators, Units 2-9 are relevant to operators, and Units 10-16 are relevant to Supervisors. 

Courses on how to fill in the paperwork at approx £170 a person.

please Megilleland..say it's not so. The trouble is that during these dark times I invested in a cheaper suit of armour! I've cried so much upon reading said dispatches that my suit is starting to rust!

I have to say though, I think it's a really positive thing that Cllr Chappell is going to let Colin post these reports.

It would be really useful to have others.

Perhaps other Cllr's could also provide them? It's a useful tool for residents to see what's being done in their areas.

After all, transparency and accountability is what it's all about!!

I shall look forward to the weekly updates.

• 2 weeks later...