Another Council move that'll end in tears.

bobby47

The Job Centre at St. Nicholas House, St. Nicholas Street in the City. God bless the poor staff who find themselves in that dreadful place. Cursed and shouted at daily by British and Migrant claimants, defended and protected by full time Security Staff, because the Police no longer wish to help them, the poor staff will soon have company that'll bring little comfort to them.

All the rooms and space above the Job Centre are to be taken over by the Council. God knows which area of business will be moving away from Plough Lane and into this melting pot of social unhappiness, but whoever it is, they'll be provided with luxuriant working space.

Yep! The Council are going to invest a big wedge of our money and do it all over again. Creating workspace and Offices for those that have managed to cling onto their jobs, are soon to be housed above the Job Centre directly above all the unhappiness and distress that's now associated with this unhappy place.

My guess is the hardworking staff at the Job Centre, already tired and debilitated by the stress of constantly being berated and shouted at by those that want the money and want it now, will only be depressed more knowing that above them lives the land of milk and honey.

The costings for this venture? Bloody thousands. Don't it make you want to stab yourself in the eye with a soft leaded pencil!

Thank you Bobby for the 'heads up' on this proposed occupation of St Nicholas House.

I regularly drive into Hereford and park in the car park under the Greyfriars Bridge, (I can't afford the NCP Park in Berrington Street), but with several Council employees, undoubtedly all with vehicles, I wonder how many spaces in my chosen car park will become 'reserved' for Council workers. It will probably mean I have to be in Town by 6a.m. to get a space!

Mind you, I would be delighted to use a 'Park and Ride', but we ain't got one.

defended and protected by full time Security Staff, because the Police no longer wish to help them

I don't think that is actually the case. The cops would obviously respond to a call from the job centre (or any other person) as appropriate. Which might involve a blue light. 

Times have changed though. Just look at the case of Supermarkets where they all (apart from Lidl) seem to have a regular guard where they never did 20 years ago. That's not because the cops wouldn't respond to a call. It's because security has now become an essential part of running certain premises due to the constant problems that requires a prevention element. Also pubs have more doormen. You could also cite football clubs where the number of stewards is astronomical compared to a few years ago. It has shifted to providing your own security basically.

Interesting, very interesting.

Would it not be a better solution to turf Hoople out of the top floor of Plough Lane, (not literally!) to free up space, and let Hoople sort themselves out?

It's a ridiculous situation where millions have been spent on one council building....only to have a large proportion of it used to house employees from Hoople......and did we ever get a straight answer as to what, if any rent they are paying to use these all singing all dancing facilities??

Why not send Hoople to the premises above the job centre......after all, recruitment is one of their things....surely that would make more sense???

dippy - my thoughts exactly! Madness to be spending millions at Plough Lane for Hoopla to luxuriate in and to then pay rent for office space elsewhere! Here's a thought - there is an empty building on Bath Street the council own and which owes them nothing - why not use that free of charge??!! The rent they will be paying could be invested into the building - too simple?

I don't know who is in charge of their building strategy but some serious questions need asking by councillors as to what is going on - but then there are lots of questions need asking, but are not.

Hoople are in Plough Lane, Franklin Barnes and the old Thorn offices at Rotherwas - all council owned buildings - that should be generating a sizable rental income. As we've said and asked before - are they paying the market rate?

Two Wheels, do you know off hand, if the Franklin Building is listed??

I have a vague recollection of hearing that it is....but I could easily have just dreamt this!!

And you're quite right about the building strategy....serious questions do indeed need to be asked, it seems chaotic, to put it politely!

I don't think that is actually the case. The cops would obviously respond to a call from the job centre (or any other person) as appropriate. Which might involve a blue light. 

Times have changed though. Just look at the case of Supermarkets where they all (apart from Lidl) seem to have a regular guard where they never did 20 years ago. That's not because the cops wouldn't respond to a call. It's because security has now become an essential part of running certain premises due to the constant problems that requires a prevention element. Also pubs have more doormen. You could also cite football clubs where the number of stewards is astronomical compared to a few years ago. It has shifted to providing your own security basically.

And this is a good thing - it means the cops can deal with serious stuff and not people stealing the saffron from sainsburys !