Dog attack on young girl in Leominister.

John Harrington

As postman we encounter this problem everyday. Our union issued this statement.

New Dangerous Dogs Law Come into Force on Tuesday 13 May 2014:

"The Communication Workers Union which represents the largest number of dog attack victims in the UK is today welcoming into force the long awaited new tough Dog Control Laws.

The CWU is the organisation above all others that has brought about the Dangerous Dog Law changes, having run a titanic campaign for seven years, during which time 30,000 Postal and Telecommunication workers have been attacked and bitten by dogs with two members nearly losing their lives in vicious maulings.

The CWU's high profile "Bite-Back" campaign, supported by animal welfare charities, police, unions, employers, vets, medics, dog trainers, dog wardens etc first won changes in Scotland followed by Northern Ireland and today's changes for England and Wales, the largest part of the UK now ensures the whole nation has a new, far tougher dog control regime in place to protect not only communication workers but also children and ordinary members of the public.

This is a historic day for our members who have suffered by the thousand with dog bites for years and at the same time had fun poked at them with jokes about dogs chasing and biting the Postman when in reality it is anything but a joke.

With a huge loophole in the law finally closing, it means at long last that the past immunity from prosecution for private property attacks, enjoyed by irresponsible and negligent dog owners now disappears and at the same time, new far tougher penalties and prison sentences, rising from 2-years maximum to 14-years maximum come into force along with new Control Orders and Compulsory Microchipping - all the things the CWU has fought for - for so long.

The CWU campaign focus now shifts to effective, consistent enforcement and public awareness.

The Union along with Royal Mail Group will run a nationwide Dog Awareness Week from June 30th to July 4th with the new law changes being a big part of a high profile national public awareness week and campaign full of events and communications to UK's 29 Million addresses! The week is to be supported by RSPCA, Dogs Trust, Blue Cross, PDSA, Battersea Dogs Home, Guide Dogs For the Blind, Wood Green Animal Charity, British Vets Association, Dog Trainers, Lawyers, Police, Dog Wardens, Local Authorities and many other organisations."

According to a report from West Midlands Ambulance Service, three women were attacked by two dogs.

Two women were taken to Hereford Hospital, whilst the third who sustained serious injuries, was flown by air ambulance to Birmingham.

This is horrific. Those women must have been terrified.

The lady I spoke to dippy was a Polish lady who lives four doors down from where the dogs attacked. She said the drinkers across the road did nothing but watch while her boyfriend and his friend grabbed the dog. Not sure if they were the members of the public mentioned in the Mirror report restraining the dog.

It's hard to believe that people could stand back and watch this situation unfold in front of their eyes, and NOT do something to try and help.

A few years ago, I was out walking my dog - on a lead - and he was attacked repeatedly by another dog, whose owner had absolutely no control over it. Whilst their dog did not bite me, it was more interested in trying to rip my terrier apart, it was a truly frightening experience. The other dogs owner eventually caught hold of it, but didn't even have a lead to put it on. When I said that could have been a child your dog has just attacked, I was given a right mouthful, and he walked off.

I strongly believe ALL dogs should be kept on leads in public places, unless otherwise designated.

And some owners could do with being muzzled.

It is almost always the owners and not the dog's fault dippy, I agree.A year ago my landlord's dog bit the postie (take note megilliland) and I warned him that he could now face prosecution and he decided somehow it was the postman's fault! His delivery was stopped for a week until he came up with the idea of a postbox on the other side of the gate (something I had suggested a year or two before). He's a very decent considerate guy but where his dogs are involved they can do no wrong. I told him that he was condemning his dogs (big Borzoi's at 10 stone a piece) to an eventual potential death sentence if he did not control them because one day they would attack a child and be put down. It's a balance always, everything we do in life but having a dog brings responsibility as well as joy and companionship.

Not quiet right Megilleland, the news was first posted on Hereford United's Bulls Banter last night.

For some reason (probably because my laptop is playing up) I cannot post the link on here.

I would have posted it on here but thought you guys were only interested in Hereford news.

Dogs bites are not limited to Leominster as the same  for national news which affects us all here in Hereford. John Harrington was on the spot to take the photograph. Still it is good that you were aware of this incident and although you couldn't post it at the time - any news is always welcome and hope to see you posting again.

Quite right John. It is all about balance.

There are far too many folks, who can quote chapter and verse, their rights, whilst seemingly shrugging off any responsibility.

People need to wake up to the fact that rights and responsibilities, go hand in hand.

I am registered with the WMP to receive their Press Releases as I presume the HT is - I received the Police Press Release about 1700 last night.

I read in one of the Nationals that a man - believed retired Police officer had to stab his neighbours dog to death because it attacked his dog and him in his garden

I have always owned rescue Golden Retrievers , two of our previous dogs were attacked for no apparent reason other than the fact that we were walking along a lane - our dogs on a lead - by sheep dogs and injured . I now always have a heavy walking stick with me when I am walking our present rescue Golden Retriever , Charlie . I would have no hesitation in using it to protect our dog , plus of course what the University of Life has taught me ! even to killing the other dog if needs must.

Sad to hear that other human beings just watched the attack and did nothing- but sadly , I have learnt that people do not want to get involved for what ever reason . Times are changing perhaps not for the better.

Sincerly hope that the victims make a full recovery.

I have rambled on but mean every word

Two arrested following dog attack in Leominster

Two people have been arrested following an incident in Leominster this evening.

Police were called to Bridge Street in the town at 6.35pm after two dogs are believed to have attacked and caused three people to be injured.

The dogs, believed to be a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and a Bullmastiff, were seen attacking one woman in the street. Members of the public attempted to assist and Police managed to restrain one of the dogs.

One woman was taken by air ambulance to hospital and is believed to have serious injuries but is currently in a stable condition. A further two women are also believed to have suffered injuries and received medical attention.

The restrained dog, believed to be the Bullmastiff, has died at the scene. The other dog has been taken away and seized by police at this time.

Police remain at the scene as they try to ascertain the circumstances surrounding this incident. Officers would like to reassure members of the public and thank people for their support during this incident.

The arrested individuals, a 21-year old man and a 26-year old man, remain in police custody at this time.

Anyone with information about this incident should call police on 101, quoting incident reference 0597S 310514.

• 9 months later...

I see on the local news, that those responsible for the dog which attacked that poor woman, have been banned from keeping dogs for life.

I only caught a bit of the report, but it sounded as if the family(mother and two brothers?) who were charged, got conditional discharges?

Meanwhile, one of the victims has been scarred for life.

Yes, doesn't seem quite right. The one lady was very seriously injured.

I personally would love to see the return of a dog licence system. Too many people who have dogs, simply are not fit to look after them.

Just my opinion as a dog owner for a very long time - a Dog Licence will not make the irresponsible dog owner a better dog owner - what it might do is allow the Council to employ more Dog Wardens so that irresponsible owners can be brought to book . Doubt If a Dog Licenes will prevent dog attacks of this nature .

The Courts must give out stricter sentences but that's another problem bearing in mind some of the light sentences dished out for some horrendous crimes.

From BBC ..... punishment !!!!!!!!!!

Judge Daniel Pearce-Higgins QC sentenced Kenneth Stutchberry, of Gwynne St, Hereford, to 12 months imprisonment suspended for two years, and Andrew, of Bridge St, Leominster, to nine months imprisonment, suspended for two years.

Their mother, Davina, 51, of Bridge St, Leominster, pleaded guilty to being in charge of a dog which caused injury [and] which was dangerously out of control.

She was given a conditional discharge and also banned from keeping dogs for life.

After the attack, Ms Stinton was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham by air ambulance.

One of the dogs, an American red nose pit bull cross, died shortly after the attack.

The judge ordered the other, a Staffordshire bull terrier cross, to be destroyed.

Robert Hirshman, who witnessed the attack, told the court there was "blood everywhere".

The court heard police had given the brothers warnings about dogs in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012.

Another instance of a dog attack this time in Cardiff. A man has been charged under the Dangerous Dogs Act after a woman died as the result of a dog attack.

Working as a postman you get to be wary of dogs. I have been bitten three times over 10 years, but have managed to remain in one piece. Nearly everyone in Herefordshire seems to have an animal of one sort or another. The classic phrase one hears is "He won't bite you".

Just my opinion as a dog owner for a very long time - a Dog Licence will not make the irresponsible dog owner a better dog owner - what it might do is allow the Council to employ more Dog Wardens so that irresponsible owners can be brought to book . Doubt If a Dog Licenes will prevent dog attacks of this nature .

The Courts must give out stricter sentences but that's another problem bearing in mind some of the light sentences dished out for some horrendous crimes.

The Council is employing LESS dog wardens - Hereford no longer has one at all - quietly let go in the name of cost savings.

Two suspended prison sentences are hardly a punishment, more like bragging rights.

I've had any number of dogs come after me, and bite me, whilst on my bike - there seems to be something about bike's that turns the mildest of canines (and often their owners, if around) into frothing, frenzied killers and I can rarely out-pedal them. Farm dogs are a nightmare but will give up once they've seen you off their territory.