Cycle Lanes - Why Green AND Red?

Biomech

I was going to ask the difference, but had a quick look online.

It appears that cycle lanes can be coloured either green or red - but why do we have both in Hereford? Why is there no consistency?

Clearly green would be the better option, but I see red in town and on some suburban roads and then I was down near Sainsbury's the other day and the cycle lanes are all green.

So what's up with that?

I was going to ask the difference, but had a quick look online.

It appears that cycle lanes can be coloured either green or red - but why do we have both in Hereford? Why is there no consistency?

Lack of consistency is the only constant at the Council, except for the consistent blinkered madness around building and/or charging for car-parking. I am confident that no one in the council could give an explanation as to why red or green.

Last Saturday there was a Bikefest on Bishop's meadow to promote more cycling in Hereford.

I have restarted cycling short journeys in Hereford.  ( I try to do as I am told!!)

Someone there gave me a newly produced 2014 Herefordshire council leaflet "Walk and Cycle".

The maps give a suggested safe route through city centre and (my favourite bit) show "Traffic free and special cycle tracks etc"  The red cycle track  part way up Aylestone Hill road is shown, ridiculously, as one of these.  Someone in transportation at the council believes that Aylestone Hill is traffic free!!!  

Truly Beggars belief.

Only on Wednesday morning a cyclist on Hampton Dene Road had a nasty collision with a car and was airlifted to Birmingham for treatment.  Hopefully the guy is recovering and my best wishes go out to him.  

Herefordshire council could do better.  When planning development and roads, over the decades, the job is surely to modernise and improve for all types of journey but again HC could do/ have done a lot better.   

Why does it all cost so much too?  I want good value for my money spent.

Thousands and thousands of our council tax money goes out and we have little benefit.  

The Greenway bridge is a good start but the money for that was not from the council. 

Again roll on the 2015 elections..

The cycle lane going up Aylestone is mostly grey coloured (unpainted) mixed with some red bits. Never really worked out what that is all about ...