The Power Of Social Media

Colin James

I am sometimes amazed at the power of social media. I posted a simple photograph from HV back in 2010 of the old Belmont Pub on the HV Facebook page, with the words "Who remembers the Belmont Pub?"

This has had over 10,000 views with 407 likes and over 40 comments, I was quite surprised at the numbers. Clearly people have shared this photo out to their friends but it just goes to show the power of social media and the extent of it's reach

Belmont-Pub.png

I remember the Belmont Colin. Only went in there twice though. First time this drunk couple were having a huge domestic which went on for some time until the bloke disappeared and returned with a huge bunch of May blossom off the Hawthorn hedges along the road (quite romantic even with the thorns included in the bouquet and the red spots of blood from his scratched hands on the petals). The second time some guys were using the 3/4 sized bowling alley and having a great laugh until the landlord kicked them out...they were overarm bowling every shot!

Must admit I did enjoy the atmosphere!

Yes, I remember it too!

It might be an idea to have a "forum" page, where folk could upload there old photos of Hereford. I know various sites do this, but it could be a great additional feature to Hereford Voice!

Mention Wakefield Knight, Internationl supermarket or even John Menzies (to anyone under 25!!) and many don't seem to recall them!

Goldings! Blimey, who remembers Goldings??

It is staggering isn't it. In so many ways its a thoroughly good thing, giving you and me the opportunity to ask why rather than simply sit back and take what the hierarchy serve up. I suppose the downside is, it's very easy to hurt another's feelings and, despite how I may come across, I do worry that I've hurt someone and made them feel bad.

Of course, the great thing is that most Councillors, particularly the ruling elite, now read our offerings. Have no doubts about that. I've a source close to the top and I get fed a little of this, that and the other and I know that they read our stuff. In fact it's become common practice, which means we are listened to.

Michael Hayes who has been doing a superb job getting the message out about the Working Boys Home and who has set up the facebook Save Our City page has asked me to paste this e-mail for Dippy and all to read:

Save Our City

13 March at 20:27 I'd like to share this email I've just sent a concerned friend who is singing, from off the same hymn sheet…& it goes something like this…Hi Gareth Thank you I must admit that I do not wish to see either building demolished so if we can save one then the likely hood is we will save both? As I think the fire station has massive potential for conversion? Even thou its life as a working fire station is over?!The council have acted appalling in the way they have treated HWFRS which in affect could have serious implications on lives? For start HWFRS do not want bath street as a site but the council have refused them on two good locations as I understand! Last Thursday I decided to ring HWFRS head office in worcester to speak with the chief fire officer of the region, unfortunately he was unavalible but his nice PA took my details & said she would get him to call me back! Within an hour I received a call however it was not the fire chief but there lawyer nice chap. In the conversation that follow he tried to convince me that the building was falling down but I wasn't having any of it, as I can clearly see it isn't only living 150 meters away I look @ it virtually every day! He asked if I had noticed the scaffolding to which I replied it was gone & had been for sometime.about a year I think & not that I have ever seen anybody doing any work to the building apart from the scaffolders removing scaffold! He was surprised then asked if I knew why it was there to which I replied no, well he said bits where falling off to which I said no they weren't. The conversation moved on, I then suggest the bus station as a alternative site & to move the bus station next to the railway station? His reply shocked me he said they had looked @ it & indeed he agreed with me that it was a good site & location but the council had refused to let them have it? He then started to back track saying they wouldn't be able to have a frontage??? But in fact they could have a frontage it would be on union walk & they could wrap it around the old custom house which is on union walk??& I think the council should give them it or any land that they feel is in the right location! After all they gave Stanhope the old market for free & that had been valued @ £30 million! Then HWFRS could convert there old place & any money they make could be put back into saving firemen's jobs & lives??? It's just a thought! Thanks Michael ps apologise for grammar spelling etc

Yes Social Media is certainly a force to be reckoned with - from a please help on the HT facebook page for RTR- Rose Tinted Rags there has been enormous support and word has spread.  The same with saving The Working Boys Home.  Fingers and everything crossed that the right thing will be done for both of these.