Newton Farm Regeneration Documentary

Reel

Hi all, aside from being able to keep an eye on what's going on in the South Wye, the main reason I joined up is to hopefully speak to the right people about an idea I've had regarding a documentary being produced following the regeneration of Newton Farm, delving into it's history, interviews with residence, councilors and other key people, story telling etc..etc. 

Although I moved away some time ago I grew up in Kilvert Road, Merryhill Crescent and Honddu Close for 21 years. I have recently completed my degree in Film Arts and Production in Plymouth and as I am a long-term member and contributor on 'Old Hereford Pics' Facebook group it's given me an idea - wouldn't it be nice to properly document the regeneration and get local faces involved?

A friend and colleague of mine produced something of a similar vain when Devonport in Plymouth was regenerated a few years ago and I thought wouldn't it be great if i could do that in Hereford.

If you have any thoughts or feel you can assist me in any way that would be great.

Regards,

Gareth

welcome to Hereford Voice, because I was born in South Wye I am begining to write a book on its history, and the fact that Newton Farm estate was named after the Powell farm of the same name. The farm it self was built in 1750, and stood on what is now named Millards Close,Barons mead and the Vortex site, if you would like to get in touch with me 01432 360456, or click on the South Wye heading of my website you will see the history of South Wye page, all the stories so far are there, you cannot copy it as I have the copy right on the book and website.

Further to our emails Gareth, Welcome to HV. I like this idea and if I can help in anyway please just ask, I have lived in Belmont for over 23 years now but I am a Herefordian and I was brought up in Stanberrow Road, Redhill, just along the road from Chris Adcocks so not far from you! There are plenty of good members on here that I am sure will offer to help where they can.

Thank you for the welcome Glenda, Colin and Mick. 

Earlier today I had a very interesting and informed hour-long chat with Glenda. Early signs are looking very positive, it's certainly looks as if there will be plenty of enthusiasm from residents young and old which is a key element.

Initially there will be several hurdles to get over but for now it would be great to build a small team of people who would like to commit to being involved in this, and then we can look at handing out roles, such as researchers, lead providers etc. One of the most important parts of this documentary will be based around the people who make the area what it is and I know over the years the South Wye has seen it's fair share of 'characters' shall we say (!) of which interviews with certain people will make for very entertaining viewing! Not only that, but there must be residents who moved into their property when it was first built who are still there today or who have grown up perhaps in the same street, block of flats...  that are about to be demolished! Getting their views and opinons, even following their journey as their lives change throughout the redevelopment.  I'm sure there will be many interesting stories - but it's finding those who will also be prepared to go in front of the camera!!

It's not just the older generation, I'm interested in getting the stories, views and opinions from all age groups as Newton Farm has evolved through different decades through the eyes of men, women and children.

Something that would really add huge value to the production would be old Cine film. It would be amazing to discover old footage of the estate being built! Unlikely I know but I'm sure it's in an attic somewhere - just a case of finding it. I have personally seen a photo of a little boy stood outside the Wimpy flats in Belmont Road as they're just being finished off, you can see the Oval has not yet been built in the background! It's finding things like this that will really capture peoples interest. 

I have also been involved in talks with Plymouth College of Art (Where I studied for my degree in film), I have their support and access to resources plus I am currently in discussions with a potential producer.

As I mentioned earlier in this post there are a few hurdles to get over first, one of these is funding! I've spoke briefly to Glenda about this who has given me one possible lead so far, plus I have one or two ideas of my own - However if anyone has any suggestions on this front please let me know.

It's early days for sure but it's looking positive!

Thanks,

Gareth

Gareth, as an aside are you aware that there is an annual film festival organised here in Herefordshire - Borderlines Film Festival?

Also based in Hereford is The Rural Media Company an award-winning charity working throughout the UK that uses film, photography, journalism and graphic design to produce high-impact moving image and new media work which strengthens rural communities and challenges disadvantage.

You may get some help or contacts from these two.

Gareth:  A person you absolutely must get in touch with is the documentary film maker John Bulmer. 

Last year at the Hay Literary Festival John gave a thrilling account (in words and still photographs) of how he documented the changing social faces of several north of England towns.  The pictures were commissioned by Harry Evans, then Editor of the Sunday Times (before Murdoch got his greasy mits on it) and I believe Mr Bulmer has since published many of them in book form.  I am sure he would be happy to pass on lots of tips.

My advice would be: 1) try and track down the Bulmer book either at your local library or a friendly Waterstones; and 2) ask Nick Whatshisname at the Rural Media Company in Widemarsh Street, Hereford, where John Bulmer lives.

Just had a look at the John Bulmer's website and what an amazing career photograhing and film making all over the world. His photographs portraying the working classes in various locations in the North are particularly rivetting. No mention of no jobs, benefits and  consumerism just gritting their teeth and getting on with their lives. Imagine having to go the beach to get coal for your family fire and then push it home on your bike (pics 4,5 & 6).

Also it is encouraging to see people who leave the county to find work and make their name return to the county. It would be interesting to make a list of local worthies that have gone on to shape their work and careers in putting Hereford and the county in the spotlight from time immemorial. There are plenty of musical links to the county - who else should be on the list. Maybe a link to a name would suffice - I'll start the list here:

Wow, nice to see more enthusiastic people offering points and direction - thanks guys!

I have contacted Nick Millington's Media Company of which I'm awaiting a reply from the Artistic Director to discuss further.

John Bulmer's work and history is amazing, truly inspiring! It certainly fits in with this documentary, it would be fantastic to speak to him.

Thanks,

Gareth

In this weeks Hereford Times (13th Febraury, p121)

A film "Chewing the Cud" which captures memories of Hereford's old livestock market through interviews with farmers, auctioneers and breeders will be premiered at The Courtyard on 11th March at 6pm as part of the Borderlines Film Festival and again on 16th March at 12noon.

Catcher Media Social CIC