Yates Pub Hereford to be Refurbished

Colin James

A quick little scoop..

Yates Hereford will close for refurbishment on October 17th and re-open November 11th 2016.

This is a complete refurbishment every back to the shell and rebuild.

Yates.jpg

I could end up looking similar to the newly refurbished Yates Reading  see photographs here

Remember where you heard it first folks..

The thing that strikes me as odd is the constant need for the bigger chain pubs to need complete refurbishment.

I know it's a difficult time for pubs in general, but, if you get it right first time...

Does anyone remember the last time places like The Barrels, The Victory, The Britannia last had a major refurb?

Just putting the question out there...

It's all to do with corporate branding again - chain pubs are basically a franchise, run by a local land lord, with the licence held by head office. When some bod at HO decides they need to change tack due to falling sales, age or any other reason, then they pay some consultants to redesign the fixtures and fittings. That's when they start to refurb all of the pubs in the chain. The  independents, like the barrels etc that are owned and operated locally, can do what they want to the décor, which is why they quite often go for years without a major refit - sometimes it only happens when the landlord changes.

HerefordMan, that is kind of my point.  On the whim of some suit, sitting in head office somewhere, a pub can suddenly change direction completely, whereas if they took a little time to know the actual areas that their pubs sit in, they could be more cleverly marketed.  

But then, if that were to be allowed, how would i find a Wetherspoons in Slough?  

Or a Greene King in Worksop?

Corporate branding, not at its finest.

The thing that strikes me as odd is the constant need for the bigger chain pubs to need complete refurbishment.

I know it's a difficult time for pubs in general, but, if you get it right first time...

Does anyone remember the last time places like The Barrels, The Victory, The Britannia last had a major refurb?

Just putting the question out there...

This place is generally very busy, particularly at the weekends, walls need repainting and sometimes repairing, furniture becomes tatty etc. I cannot remember the last time this place was revamped but it is tired looking and in need of a facelift. Good to see the company re-investing in their business.

• 1 month later...