Work to start on Herefords Newmarket Street after Christmas

Glenda Powell

Taken from HT today:-

First phase of works to refurbish Newmarket street and Widemarsh street is due to begin tonight.

Initial work will involve the removal of the central reservation along Newmarket street and will take approxamately one week.

The work will take place at night, and traffic will be permitted in both directions throughout, keeping traffic disruption to a minimum.

Following removal of the central reservation work will take place to lay footpaths along Newmarket street for three weeks. these works will be carried out during the day, but with the central reservation removed and two lanes will be maintained in either direction.

In February, work will begin to construct the right turn from Blueschool street into Widemarsh street. Due to the evacuation and width of available carriageway, one lane in either direction will be maintained. This will be for a short length and two  lanes feeding Edgar Street roundabout during the day will be maintained at all times.

End.

Biomech, you are so right, and it's not just going to be a few weeks of roadworks. The road works on Newmarket St. will result in a permanent single lane in each direction, not two lanes each way as we have now. Just as reducing the number of lanes on motorways brings traffic suddenly to a standstill, so will it continue to do so here, on into the future, on what is still the main east-west road through the centre of Hereford. Plans for the Link Road were supposed to be in place by now, to compensate, but clearly nothing like that will happen anytime soon. (Big problems with the Link Road plan too, but that's another story.) This Newmarket St. plan, bound to increase traffic congestion significantly, will put people off coming to Hereford even more, and will be the last straw for many more Hereford businesses and shops. The only reason for carrying on and getting it done in January is to provide a smart entrance to the new Old Market shopping area due to open at Easter. It will not have any practical benefit at all. Do they think that a promise of more trees and bike racks on the wider central reservation will make everyone happy? Can this plan be stopped?

Will still be two lanes until link road is built Cloudberry.

Nothing can be started with the link road until all cpo's have been sorted.

I've looked at the drawings for this work and it's a veritable quart into a pint pot - everyone is aware of the general widths at present and yet the council say they are to introduce a tree lined central reservation, with cycle parking, whilst maintaining the same 4 lanes. The west bound lanes (towards the roundabout) will stay the same width and then the new central reservation. The east bound lanes (towards Blueschool St) are squeezed, effectively losing half one of the existing lanes, providing two rather narrow lanes. It should keep traffic speed down if nothing else. Also worth noting is that Service Yard B is accessed directly of Newmarket St, with no slip road, and so traffic will be further conflicted with articulated delivery lorries moving in and out of this yard, requiring both of the narrow lanes for the manouvere ...

What worries me most is the potential threat to lives. Whoever heard of a city reducing road capacity with new obstacles, on a primary east-west route that is also a major access route for all emergency services: the hospital, police station and fire station? Though I suppose slower traffic may reduce the number of road accidents.

But we can at least be grateful that we will still have two lanes of some shape in each direction, not the single lanes in the plan shown in the Hereford Times in October. Single lanes in Newmarket Street were originally planned on the proviso of an alternative major route, a link road between Edgar Street and the station,  - but the likelihood of that being built now seems probably impossible. The idea of a leafy boulevard fronting the OLM in Newmarket Street, with only a few vehicles as in that famous illustration, is just fine. But it’s not going to be like that, is it?

A number of shops around town have footfall trackers, they log the ins and outs of people through the doors. Useful for checking conversion rates etc.

It would be interesting to get hold of the data from various shops and compare customer footfall between 3 years ago and now, between pre and post the previous New Market street disruption and now and after this next lot.

And then again maybe 6-12 months after the OLM opens to compare footfall between pre and post OLM.

This would give us an independent review of how the road disruptions effect consumerism in Hereford and what kind of impact the OLM has on the town centre.

Oh God the heart sinks.  This is a really good idea that works brilliantly elsewhere but I just know they're going to f*ck it up which will mean that the concept loses all credibility.   

These schemes can only work if the effect is to release suppressed demand for walking and cycling of which there is always plenty.   If you end up with the same amount of traffic it's just deckchair rearrangement and doomed so it really needs to be done with conviction.   

My personal view is that alongside the shared space scheme, we need the "Lights Out" project and one carriageway in each direction on the A49 from Asda to Newmarket Street reallocated to cyclists  - sounds radical I know but it's the only way to deal with some of these local journeys that are congesting the network.   

one carriageway in each direction on the A49 from Asda to Newmarket Street reallocated to cyclists 

Sounds interesting, it would have to be policed with automatic cameras/ticketing if you ask me. It's not as radical as you might think, many streets in Oxford have entire lanes devoted to cyclists.

But here's a kicker. The opposition would argue that there isn't enough demand from cyclists. Yet, if I recall correctly, nearly everyone bar myself was FOR developing a Velodrome in recent discussions stating the untapped reservoir of cyclists itching to get out.

What worries me most is the potential threat to lives. Whoever heard of a city reducing road capacity with new obstacles, on a primary east-west route that is also a major access route for all emergency services: the hospital, police station and fire station? Though I suppose slower traffic may reduce the number of road accidents.

But we can at least be grateful that we will still have two lanes of some shape in each direction, not the single lanes in the plan shown in the Hereford Times in October. Single lanes in Newmarket Street were originally planned on the proviso of an alternative major route, a link road between Edgar Street and the station,  - but the likelihood of that being built now seems probably impossible. The idea of a leafy boulevard fronting the OLM in Newmarket Street, with only a few vehicles as in that famous illustration, is just fine. But it’s not going to be like that, is it?

a link road between Edgar Street and the station,  - but the likelihood of that being built now seems probably impossible.

I'm interested in what makes you think that?

Oh God the heart sinks.  This is a really good idea that works brilliantly elsewhere but I just know they're going to f*ck it up which will mean that the concept loses all credibility.   

These schemes can only work if the effect is to release suppressed demand for walking and cycling of which there is always plenty.   If you end up with the same amount of traffic it's just deckchair rearrangement and doomed so it really needs to be done with conviction.   

My personal view is that alongside the shared space scheme, we need the "Lights Out" project and one carriageway in each direction on the A49 from Asda to Newmarket Street reallocated to cyclists  - sounds radical I know but it's the only way to deal with some of these local journeys that are congesting the network.   

As a very keen cyclist myself I'd like to see cycle lanes that could easily come to fruition.

The foot paths on both sides of the new bridge & down Victoria St and also down Edgar Street on the left side could be made to accommodate both pedestrians and cyclists.We also have a major problem with cyclists not using cycle paths in Hereford.

As a very keen cyclist myself I'd like to see cycle lanes that could easily come to fruition.

The foot paths on both sides of the new bridge & down Victoria St and also down Edgar Street on the left side could be made to accommodate both pedestrians and cyclists.We also have a major problem with cyclists not using cycle paths in Hereford.

I think the time is coming when we need to think of taking back some of the street space we have handed over to traffic and give it to cyclists - one of the problems with cyclists not sticking to cycle paths  is that there aren't really any cycle paths.  i have to admit I cycle on the pavement myself because I would rather be prosecuted than dead.   

This morning I had an errand to run in Whitecross. I live in St James.   I've cycled as a means of transport all my life but I finally bottled out and took the car rather than brave Eign Street and Whitecross Road.  I' m sure I'm not alone and the evidence is the almost total absence of cyclists on Hereford's roads.   

You get what you pay for in transport planning.  If you invest in cycling infrastructure you get cyclists; if you build roads and car parks you get traffic.  This is the undeniable evidence from all over Europe. 

East-west (or vice versa) across this City on a bike is a nightmare - you have to cross the A49 and there is nowhere to do that safely and even as an experienced cyclist I have to think twice about crossing at the Barton Road junction, whilst using the Edgar St roundabout is suicidal. The new Greenway is a great addition for cyclists and pedestrians alike - lets see it extended westwards to join with the Great Western Way (off the Broomy Hill link).

We also have a major problem with cyclists not using cycle paths in Hereford.

I don't cycle much but from what I've seen the cycle paths are inconsistent. They seem to be short patches randomly placed that suddenly end.

I used to cycle from Credenhill to the city for work and, whilst frequently quicker than the bus!, riding a bike down the likes of Whitecross Road is like playing a game of Operation. The concentration it takes to accurate negotiate drains, cracks, stones and potholes whilst simultaneously being forced into a 12 inch gap between the curb and cars was mentally exhausting.

I also used to ride from the city out onto the A49 north, the A49 past the leisure centre was fine. It was in the city where the problems were. 

There's a mutual twattism between drivers and cyclists that has led to cyclists under taking traffic on the left, which means when you move across the lane to the right hand side to "over" take;

A: You can't get between the cars and no one will let a bike in.

B: You're now forced to drive into oncoming traffic,

C: Drivers don't look in their left mirrors for cyclists let alone the right.

Exclusive cycle lanes would negate this issue.

When it comes to the city areas, well you can't cycle through most of it (which reminds me, the amount of people who step out onto the road in Church Street because they don't hear a car coming so don't bother to look....), so you have to dismount. If you're on a short trip, there's no point in cycling. Personally, for crossing roads that are difficult, I would always get off my bike, pick it up and throw it on my shoulder and then run across the road, because it was a damn sight quicker/safer.

You get what you pay for in transport planning.  If you invest in cycling infrastructure you get cyclists; if you build roads and car parks you get traffic.  This is the undeniable evidence from all over Europe. 

I also agree with this. I think many people are put off cycling as they feel it's too dangerous and difficult to achieve quickly and safely.

• 3 weeks later...

News Release from Herefordshire Council

Newmarket Street and Widemarsh Gate-Refurbishment update.

Jan 27 to 2 Feb 2014

Work will continue on the north footpath this week. Two lanes east and westbound will remain open for the duration.

29 Jan 2014

A night time closure on 29 Jan will be in place on the eastbound carriageway so that a crane can be used to lift air conditioning units into the site for the debenhams store. As this work is being done over night there will be minimum impact to traffic, but an alternative route will need to be used if you are travelling around Hereford.

2-10 Feb 2014

from 2 Feb major work will start to Widemarsh Gate which will necessitate one lane closure in either direction on Blueschool and Newmarket Streets. During this period temporary traffic lights will be used to assist with regulating traffic flow, and pedestrian crossing locations will be slightly altered. The gates into the centre of Widemarsh Gate will remain closed for the duration of the work and thr traffic lights in Widemarsh street will be "bagged" and its exit from Widemarsh street will become a give-way junction.

Delays will be expected during this period and we suggest that you plan your journeys and allow extra time. Businesses will be open throughout and we encourage you to keep coming into town. Walk, cycle or use the bus if you can.

END

During this period temporary traffic lights will be used to assist with regulating traffic flow

Can I just say that if these temp traffic lights cause as much trouble as the temp lights on Newmarket roundabout did that they simply turn the bloody things off and just have traffic lights for pedestrians to cross road.I know this is a simple solution but for some reason we have a lunatic within highways/Council who has a traffic light fetish

I looked at the traffic congestion on google maps today and it was no worse than normal. Plus I spoke with someone who drove from Tesco's roundabout towards Commercial Sq. at 16.30 hrs today and although it was one lane on either side of the ring road there were no problems. Which does surprise me. 

I looked at the traffic congestion on google maps today and it was no worse than normal. Plus I spoke with someone who drove from Tesco's roundabout towards Commercial Sq. at 16.30 hrs today and although it was one lane on either side of the ring road there were no problems. Which does surprise me. 

Have been through Newmarket St three times today with no traffic problems