Young Councillor resigns after pressure's get's too much

Jim Kenyon

A press release has just been sent out and you will read shortly about CLLR Alex hempton-smith resigning he has found the pressure of being young,holding down a busy full time job and being a councillor all to much he has suffered with bouts of depression but managed to just about hold it together,I would like to publicly thank him for all the help he has given me behind the scene's I wish him well on his travels and I hope he gets better now a lot of the pressures have been lifted finally I respect him for standing up and being counted at such a young age it may have been too soon but at least he tried to make a difference for the people of Herefordshire judge him on that.

Jim, I ain't heartless and I ain't some demonic figure that has no compassion for those of us who fall down from time to time, but I've got no time whatsoever for political wriggling and spin which is what you are doing now. It's spin Jim lad. Political spin intended to ride on the back of human tragedy and turn a story and twist it to gather some position in the fall out that may or may not affect Its Our County.

The young lad was found in possession of a controlled drug and because it was a small amount and presumably his first offence, the Police disposed of the case by way of Police Caution. Thats it. It doesn't matter how its dressed Jim. Nobody cares. The only reason I and others will now care is because you've tried to spin it.

It's madness Jim. Just be straight with people. This young lad, good and kind as he clearly is, can no longer remain in office because his position is now untenable. That's it! Thats all you needed to say but because of the culture, not of your creation, you spin like all the rest who feed off of our opinions.

They are facts no spin people will be quick to judge he made a poor decision he has been struggling for sometime as a councillor I put this on this forum because I want people to realise its more difficult being a councillor than you think it's easy to make comments from behind a screen and you need to know the truth I am far from political if you knew me you would know that and I am no spin doctor I wanted to offer my support to a young man that made a mistake.

I know what most of you will be thinking. This bobby bloody 47 is horrible. Well I ain't. Far from it. I've simply got no time anymore for political dressing. All people want is the truth or as John Lennon once said, 'Gimme some truth'. That's it. These politicians have been scheming and spinning for so long they don't even consider whether or not they're any good at it.

It's like my bloody topic, titled Rone & Atkinson. They won't touch it. Not with a barge pole. It doesn't matter what their view is. All the people want is an opinion but can I get them to respond? Not at the bloody moment. I will get a response but to get it I've gotta moan, groan, rant and rave and shame them into saying what they think. And while they delay, responding to my request, they'll lose votes and a listening ear because they fail to display an understanding of the new political reality. We want to know their opinion!

Jim, Yes being a Councillor is difficult. I couldn't do it. Im not good enough, Im certainly not clever enough and so I choose to do this. And 'this', sitting behind a keyboard is no small task. Our job is to vote you into Office. When you do well, we shower you with praise, and some of you get to become Mayor and have the opportunity to switch on the Christmas Lights. But when you do bad or worse sit back and do nothing then we use this technology to voice our views.

This is what it is and our democracy is all the better for it Jim. Yes, there are down sides, sometimes without trying I can hurt another's feelings. We all can but I say it's a price worth paying to make sure our local leaders do what they are expected to do and graft and earn their badge of office.

Do I feel sorry for Councillors who work hard? Not in the least bit. I hope when they finish their day they are knackered. They choose to embrace this Office and 'stand'. Now, after reading this I'd like you to press the button, raise the Rone Atkinson topic and tell me what you think, even if its to tell me to get stuffed.

I have given much thought to this topic - wasn't sure wether to comment or not - however , Bobby is correct , what Cllr Kenyon said was , in my opinion , spin . Not incorrect , but not the full story and if one is ,for whatever reason unable to give the full story please credit the voting public with more intelligence .

I am also sure that this young man accepts his error, was not the first and certainly will not be the last to be misguided . I wish him well.

Jim, Yes being a Councillor is difficult. I couldn't do it. Im not good enough, Im certainly not clever enough and so I choose to do this. And 'this', sitting behind a keyboard is no small task. Our job is to vote you into Office. When you do well, we shower you with praise, and some of you get to become Mayor and have the opportunity to switch on the Christmas Lights. But when you do bad or worse sit back and do nothing then we use this technology to voice our views.

This is what it is and our democracy is all the better for it Jim. Yes, there are down sides, sometimes without trying I can hurt another's feelings. We all can but I say it's a price worth paying to make sure our local leaders do what they are expected to do and graft and earn their badge of office.

Do I feel sorry for Councillors who work hard? Not in the least bit. I hope when they finish their day they are knackered. They choose to embrace this Office and 'stand'. Now, after reading this I'd like you to press the button, raise the Rone Atkinson topic and tell me what you think, even if its to tell me to get stuffed.

Hi bobby on the Rone / Atkinson thread look at who get's what and who claims expenses etc I for one didn't stand because of any pay in fact I didn't know you were paid the ethos behind it was ok but it was never going to happen I get the very basic salary and I work very hard for it I offered myself up to be chairman of the health scrutiny committee and not take the extra money to do that job which is around £12,000 per year twice as much as my allowance I did that quietly behind close doors but the new Tory leader choose the former leader of the council of full salary to do the job my concern was we have are backs against the wall financially and we were going to lose the scrutiny officer the two cllrs that put this up had just been shuffled out of a position which they were in receipt of extra allowance , I felt I was and am good value for money check my record if everyone involved would have done it including senior management I would have voted for it but as I said how much was posturing I'm not sure.

Jim, you don't have to tell me you work very hard and you provide good value for the small sum of money you receive. I know you work hard and I also know that you have the exact same work ethic as Councillor Glenda Powell. You don't have to tell me because I already knew.

You could have said and explained all this days ago but instead you chose to sit on it and think. Well, you don't have to sit on anything and think. Not on this site. Simply tell the readers what you think which is now what you've done. That's it. Job done.

Your post is very impressive, it's warmly received and it only serves to add to the respect I already have for you.

I do understand the dilemma faced by Councillors. The political landscape has changed, the electorate are highly cynical of politicians and this creates a climate of wariness but, nowadays, particularly within pages like these, you log in and register and you have to expect to encounter issues that are often difficult to discuss.

Drop your guard Jim. Take your gum shield out and be yourself and say exactly what you think. My very warmest regards to you.

So what was this controlled substance?
Bobby is right, no one cares, in fact, it would be nice if people in leadership positions would tell us all the things they have done and not make a big song and dance about it when it gets found out by the media; resulting in them "resigning".

If I were in council, the first thing I would do would be to publically announce my past. 

People want a person, not a saint.

Yes I am a Cllr I don't know what it was it was a wrap of some kind he was a very silly young man and he paid the price. 

As a councillor pretty much everything that comes out of your mouth is spin - it's the whole point of such a position.

Why was he a silly young man? Are you another one of these cllr's that just bash and belittle the younger cllr's who are pushing for change?

You just admitted you don't even know what it was. If he was dealing crack - fine, but if he had a small amount of weed on him I really couldn't give 2 shits as long as he was getting the job done. Transparency in ALL areas is something that you lot REALLY lack and actually COMPLETELY underestimate.

As a councillor pretty much everything that comes out of your mouth is spin - it's the whole point of such a position.

Why was he a silly young man? Are you another one of these cllr's that just bash and belittle the younger cllr's who are pushing for change?

You just admitted you don't even know what it was. If he was dealing crack - fine, but if he had a small amount of weed on him I really couldn't give 2 shits as long as he was getting the job done. Transparency in ALL areas is something that you lot REALLY lack and actually COMPLETELY underestimate.

Don't hide behind a screen and judge me you dont know me if you want councillors to engage tell us who you are otherwise people will not responed to anything you say in the future

Jim Kenyon said .....Don't hide behind a screen and judge me you dont know me if you want councillors to engage tell us who you are otherwise people will not responed to anything you say in the future .

Cllr Kenyon - you did not ask me about not responding to Biomech posts so I will continue to do it . David Williams ( there ! )

Don't hide behind a screen and judge me you dont know me if you want councillors to engage tell us who you are otherwise people will not responed to anything you say in the future 

Again with the take take take. It's not my job to follow you around to get your attention, it is your JOB to sort things out.. .without having to be told all of the time.

A problem remains a problem whether I tell you it does using "Biomech" or as "Paula Cook" as a name.

Who's fault is it that I don't know you? Mine? Because I don't follow you around? Or yours? For being a public figure who doesn't engage with the public. Do you think I know my boss? Or do you think he expects me to hunt him down and follow him around telling him how to do his job?

Beyond fed up with the attitude of most of these councillors.

It's YOUR job, YOU do something.

Jim, it’s a fact that posters on internet forums use aliases - its always been thus. Posters on here, on the HT site, on WIHAHC and other sites are local people responding to local issues. For their own safety or job security or for other reasons they want to remain anonymous. That doesn't stop them raising valid points and asking you to deal with things where they are within your remit. It hasn't stopped at least one other councillor here dealing with issues and nor should it stop you. It is noted that you are one of the few who've responded to Colin's invitation to join this forum, and that it to be applauded - the majority are noticeable by their absence. Don't spoil it by throwing your toys out of the pram.

Thanks for your comments two wheels as cllr Glenda will tell you in opposition we have very little say on what goes on in the administration I am a herefordian that stood as a councillor because I was and still am pissed off with most of the bad choices that the Tories makes I do engage with my ward of Tupsley and they know me as a no nonsense guy I am listening on this forum and engaging as much as I can I would like to see more ordinary people try to do the job that myself and Glenda does as I can assure you the council would be in a far better state so to finish I would just like to be honest and transparent and say 70% of the councillors you have built your opinions on are as you think but don't brush us all with the same strokes

I'd happily join the council, if I thought for a second I wouldn't be undermined, belittled and mentally bullied by those who only look after the interests of their own pocket.

The sooner that local Councils get away from politics and serve the residents of the locality without being guided by Central Govt. the better . One of the problems with this council is that the majority of the ruling party have been elected by the villages they serve and if they keep them " sweet" they will continue to be elected . That is to the detriment to the residents of this City.