Voting safely at this May’s elections

Hereford Voice

Herefordshire Council are helping you to stay safe while casting your vote in this May's elections

May_Elections_Graphic.thumb.jpg.6f47c91cbc0e418905ae37945acc79d9.jpg

On Thursday 6 May residents in Herefordshire will go to the polls to have their say on who represents them at the Police and Crime Commissioners elections, plus various local by-elections and Neighbourhood Planning Referendums.

While the elections are not until May, they’re already making plans to help you stay safe while casting your vote. 

There are a number of ways to have your say in the elections in May - you can vote in a polling station, by post, or by appointing someone you trust to vote on your behalf, which is known as a proxy vote.

Colette Maund, Electoral Services Manager for Herefordshire said:

‘’We’re thinking about these elections now so that, however you choose to cast your vote in May, you can do so safely. We’re putting arrangements in place to help you stay safe at the polling station; you can expect many of the measures you’ve become used to in shops and banks over recent months, such as hand sanitiser, floor markings and face masks. But you also have the option to apply to vote by post or by proxy’’

Ailsa Irvine, Director of Electoral Administration and Guidance at the Electoral Commission said:

“The choice on how to vote at this May’s elections is yours – you can have your say in person, by post or by proxy.

“If you’re thinking about voting by post, you can apply now. This will make sure your application is processed early, and your postal vote can be sent to you more quickly. It’s easy to apply and you can find out how by visiting the Electoral Commission website.

“You need to be registered to vote in order to have a say at the elections – the easiest way to register is online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote”

Residents can visit the FAQ page on the Herefordshire Councils website at www.herefordshire.gov.uk/forthcomingelections to find out more about the elections on 6 May. The page will be updated with new information as it becomes available. Any residents who have questions can also contact their local elections team at elections@herefordshire.gov.uk or by phoning 01432 260107.

Elections postponed

The following will be run on 6 May 2021 unless otherwise specified by UK government in further legislation:

National elections

Police and Crime Commissioners Election

Local Government by-elections

Brampton Bryan Parish Election

Brockhampton with Much Fawley Parish Election

Bromyard West Parish Ward Election (two seats)

Dilwyn Parish Election

Eaton Bishop Parish Election

Hereford, Bobblestock Parish Ward Election

Hereford, Newton Farm Parish Ward Election

Newton Farm Ward Election

Ross-on-Wye East Parish Ward Election

Walford Parish Election (six seats)

Neighbourhood Planning Referendums

Allensmore neighbourhood planning referendum

Ashperton neighbourhood planning referendum

Brampton Abbots and Foy Group neighbourhood planning referendum

Bredenbury and District neighbourhood planning referendum

Clehonger neighbourhood planning referendum

Colwall neighbourhood planning referendum

Garway neighbourhood planning referendum

Linton, Gorsley and Bromsash neighbourhood planning referendum

Madley neighbourhood planning referendum

Much Birch neighbourhood planning referendum

Ross-on-Wye neighbourhood planning referendum

Stretton Grandison Group neighbourhood planning referendum

Titley Group neighbourhood planning referendum

• 1 month later...

Had a flyer put through the door today from the Independents. Alan Jones is taking the right track by adopting a community approach. I've had a gut's full of our present lot who don't give a fig about the electorate and bow down to BBLP passing millions for a job half done. I have matters raised from July last year still outstanding concerning the state of trees and waste and they are not really interested. They soon removed a waste bin from the street because it was an inconvenience to them - nice and easy. In view of the lock down and more to come what has happened to the community centre, part of the plan when the Oval was redeveloped.

Over the years the Vortex went, then the church and no neighbourhood watch. We have a police station, but we never see a policeman on the beat or bicycle. Without the local volunteers keeping our streets clean Newton Farm would be further neglected. Let's hope Alan Jones's manifesto raises the spirits.

In Central Ward all we are voting for is a Police Commissioner and I'm certainly not risking my health to go and tick that box. If ever there was a waste of time and money, etc. 

I have to agree regarding the present Council (and their subservient relationship BBLP) - I had great hopes two years ago, but they have failed to deliver. Here we have a ruling party elected on a green travel and transport manifesto, with walking and cycling prominent in that and yet a high profile cycling facility in St Owens Street, that has been over 20 years in the making, instigated and driven by a clear community desire, has been quietly abandoned. 

As to BBLP - I am told by a Councillor that they have the Council ‘held over a barrel’.

I am standing in Newton Farm on May 6, I want a referendum about the axing of the bypass and link road. I fought for this in the 12 years I was the Hereford Independent councillor Residents know the things I achieved on their behalf, stopped the GP Centre at Asda from closing, 10,000 signiture petition to stop the post offices closing I took the petition to Downing Street, got bungalows built on the Oval regeneration, and the Wyes Moves buses  where I received £774,000 to buy 4 buses and to run the service the service ran from 2003 to 2011 when the money ran out. I HOPE THE PEOPLE OF NEWTON FARM WILL SUPPORT ME. there are 4 candidates so far 

13 hours ago, Glenda Powell said:

I am standing in Newton Farm on May 6, I want a referendum about the axing of the bypass and link road. I fought for this in the 12 years I was the Hereford Independent councillor Residents know the things I achieved on their behalf, stopped the GP Centre at Asda from closing, 10,000 signiture petition to stop the post offices closing I took the petition to Downing Street, got bungalows built on the Oval regeneration, and the Wyes Moves buses  where I received £774,000 to buy 4 buses and to run the service the service ran from 2003 to 2011 when the money ran out. I HOPE THE PEOPLE OF NEWTON FARM WILL SUPPORT ME. there are 4 candidates so far 

Who are the other candidates? 

The figures are interesting. At the Council elections in 2019, Newton Farm had by far the lowest turnout  - 18.6%. Just 554 people voted, out of nearly 3 000 on the electoral register (and 17 people had their votes ruled as spoilt). The winning candidate received votes from just under 6% of the electorate.

If the level of turnout was repeated at this by-election, the arithmetic is such that a candidate could still win even if they got no more than 100 votes - 3% of the electorate.

So make sure you vote, and encourage everyone around you to do so.