Could fewer bins mean less litter?

megilleland

More rubbish from the council and BB trying to do less again, but continually pocketing the cash. I sent a request concerning land ownership of a grass verge on the 9th October 2018 followed by two reminders and I am still waiting for a reply. Every Sunday morning for one hour I fill two bins of litter found lying in the street, shoved in hedges and dog poo chucked up in trees. I have yet to see anyone else living in the area do a litter pick and we have three council bins to use. Complete folly to take any of these away and you don't need consultants and studies to tell you the obvious.

BBC H&W local radio - 13th December 2018

Littering and fly-tipping could be reduced by cutting the number of litter bins, researchers who worked with Herefordshire Council have concluded.

Balfour Beatty Living Places worked with 10 local authorities on the study and believe that by removing bins, people are encouraged to "take responsibility for their waste" and take it home or dispose of it correctly.

Herefordshire Council said the results of the research needed further study, but "it is clear that behavioural change is necessary to reduce littering and fly-tipping; not to just simply increase the number of bins on our streets".

Staggering - and how much did this 'study' cost us? No doubt councillors, many of whom will be beginning to stir from their extended hibernation to emerge in time for the elections next May, will roll over and quietly let this through, as they seem to do for most things. Actually getting BBLP to do anything is increasingly frustrating - it took me two months of nagging to get offensive graffiti removed from the Greenway bridge - the Council website says it will be done within 24 hours. Other graffiti has just been left. I waited nearly 3 months for a street light on busy pedestrian route to be fixed. I've reported numerous blocked gullies, none of which have been cleared. So it goes on and on, no one in charge cares, too busy shuffling job titles to notice BBLP trousering tens of millions of our money for very little perceivable benefit.

But that arrangement requires a strong 'client side' management from council officers who (should) have a wider overview on how the service fits into the wider delivery of council services and councillor requirements. Unfortunately, that's where it falls over - we pay for the best, but really, what are we getting? The system clearly is not working - BBLP focus appears to be on high value/high profit work and  routine maintenance is constantly pushed back, creating larger problems down the road, so to speak. Councillor Summers spoke last week about about poor security at the flagship Skylon Park and cited the graffiti on the Greenway as an indication of this - as I said above, I've reported it, but nothing happens. When left, it becomes the start of a rapid decline into vandalism and anti-social behaviour.

Isn’t it all a pile, mound or hillock of steaming boll.ocks! Nothing functions anymore. It ought to but it doesn’t because it’s all been buggered up by the ‘suits’ who’s ability to string together a few words that mean absolutely nothing but read as though there’s some thought behind it all, are transmitted out to us telling us that everything is fine when it bloody isn’t!

Nothing happens TwoWheels? Course it doesn’t. It’s not designed for anything to happen. That’s the whole point of this deranged dysfunctional arrangement between us and them.

The Bastar.ds turned up outside my humble hovel with an intention to dig a hole in the road. First up, a company with ‘signage’ that’d be used to inform us not to fall in the hole that was about to be dug. Then another company tipped up and dug the holes. There were no more than three of them! Then another firm tipped up and did something within these holes that to thus day remain an unknown to me.

it goes bloody on! Then another firm tipped up with wagons who tipped a load of gravel into the holes. Then another company arrived and filled the holes with soil. It goes bloody on! After the soil was deposited, another firm tipped up, belted the soil and the gravel flat and then fu.vk.ed off. Then, just after the bloody monsoon when me and everyone else got splattered in mud, another firm, bloody tarmacers, tipped up and repaired the surfaces. 

It goes on! Another firm tipped up to remove the signage signs that had happily warned me not to fall down the holes. Sadly thus crew, from the sixth independent company didn’t remove the signs because their van wasn’t designed or adapted to gather up all the bloody signs. Next day, another company tipped up and collected the signs.

Youd think it’d end there. Well it bloody didn’t. In the days that followed I recieved one posted letter, one text message and a phone call telling me that they were sorry about the delay and as soon as the huge backlog of work was completed, all funded by the public ratepayer, would begin soon, explaining that they’d dig a hole and out right something I’ve still no idea about.

At least seven different firms were involved in this who collectively deployed about 27 lads, 11 vehicles and an unknown number of staff who wrote to me, text me and phoned me regarding a job that was overseen by a private limited company known as Balfour Beatie who, incidentally only played one role. Collecting the bas.tard signs that warned me and many others not to fall down the hole!

Litter! It no longer bloody matters. We’ve gone way past the tipping point of it ever bloody mattering reaching a point in my time that begs the question,’ why do any of us bother asking why everything is all buggered up’?

1 hour ago, bobby47 said:

Isn’t it all a pile, mound or hillock of steaming boll.ocks! Nothing functions anymore. It ought to but it doesn’t because it’s all been buggered up by the ‘suits’ who’s ability to string together a few words that mean absolutely nothing but read as though there’s some thought behind it all, are transmitted out to us telling us that everything is fine when it bloody isn’t!

Nothing happens TwoWheels? Course it doesn’t. It’s not designed for anything to happen. That’s the whole point of this deranged dysfunctional arrangement between us and them.

The Bastar.ds turned up outside my humble hovel with an intention to dig a hole in the road. First up, a company with ‘signage’ that’d be used to inform us not to fall in the hole that was about to be dug. Then another company tipped up and dug the holes. There were no more than three of them! Then another firm tipped up and did something within these holes that to this day remains an unknown to me.

it goes bloody on! Then another firm tipped up with wagons who tipped a load of gravel into the holes. Then another company arrived and filled the holes with soil. It goes bloody on! After the soil was deposited, another firm tipped up, belted the soil and the gravel flat and then fu.vk.ed off. Then, just after the bloody monsoon when me and everyone else got splattered in mud, another firm, bloody tarmacers, tipped up and repaired the surfaces. 

It goes on! Another firm tipped up to remove the signage signs that had happily warned me not to fall down the holes. Sadly this crew, from the sixth independent company didn’t remove the signs because their van wasn’t designed or adapted to gather up all the bloody signs. Next day, another company tipped up and collected the signs.

Youd think it’d end there. Well it bloody didn’t. In the days that followed I recieved one posted letter, one text message and a phone call telling me that they were sorry about the delay and as soon as the huge backlog of work was completed, all funded by the public ratepayer, work would begin soon, explaining that they’d dig a hole and carry out work on something I’ve still no idea about.

At least seven different firms were involved in this who collectively deployed about 27 lads, 11 vehicles and an unknown number of staff who wrote to me, text me and phoned me regarding a job that was overseen by a private limited company known as Balfour Beatie who, incidentally only played one role. Collecting the bas.tard signs that warned me and many others not to fall down the hole!

Litter! It no longer bloody matters. We’ve gone way past the tipping point of it ever bloody mattering reaching a point in my time that begs the question,’ why do any of us bother asking why everything is all buggered up’?

Hello Bobby 47, I have been asking the same questions for years. The fact is that in today's society nobody is aware, cares or respects other peoples' concerns and problems. You will be told how it is, how it will be and you better make the most of it - because nothing under the present systems is going to change. Simple things now involve extreme effort to resolve whether it's getting a contact, a response, an appointment or a letter to justify why nothing can be done - so as you say Booby why bother. I can't remember the last time any local councillor, MP or public servant came down on the side of the public except to tell us that's the way it is.

I have turned to other great illuminati, including yourself, and find solace in the websites of UK Column, Robert Reich and The Slog who all appear to talk sense, but does anyone listen to them? The government is manipulating Brexit, and is in bed with the BBC and main stream media - do we get any real news nowadays? Keep the plebs fed with piles of celebrity trivia, sidetrack them with manged stunts and don't let them take their eyes off their mobile phones. This government has destroyed family life, reduced the purchasing power of their working wages, increased wealth for the benefit of a few idle rich and will finally strip your last remnants of cash as you are laid to rest in the local recycling plant.

• 2 weeks later...

Another week to go before the bins are emptied (Jan 5th). All three in our street (2 in Muir Close and 1 outside shop, Brampton Road/Kilpeck Avenue stuffed and overflowing. Some residents have started depositing their Christmas packaging outside their homes and this is already blowing around the streets. Why they can't keep their waste on their property till bin collection day?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Black bins emptied today after Christmas. Quite a few black bags left behind and not collected as a result of the extended holiday period - sticker on bags said it was too much and should be in black bin. Maybe the council thought we only had an austerity Christmas.

Meanwhile the recycling company Veolia has been accused of refusing to adapt a 30-year contract to allow Brighton and Hove council to collect more plastic waste as local authorities struggle to meet a national target of 50%. Brighton and Hove council have a 30-year PFI contract with Veolia. They are refusing to change the contract so that a wide range of plastics can be recycled. The council doesn’t have the £1m for the required machinery at the Veolia plant to enable a wide range of plastic to be recycled.