Clearing The Newton Brook

Colin James

Some good work being carried out all this week along the Newton Brook in Belmont. The brook has not really been cleaned out in years so it was good to see a JCB making light work of it.

This work was paid for by Herefordshire Council and there is now a program for maintenance along this stretch. 

Newton Brook 5.jpg

This work was undertaken following constant pressure to do something from Cllr Tracy Bowes who has been chasing them for months as this is a flood risk. They tried to clear some of the brook near Jubilee field on the last community action day but the silt was above their wellies.

They are monitoring the other parts of the brook and this has been included in the tender for work for next year. 

December, January and February have been highlighted as good times for tree and shrub maintenance and coppicing but there is a plan now which should see additional work carried out throughout the year.

Colin, Newton Brook also runs the length of Waterfield Rd in Newton Farm and comes out across the road from McDonalds lets hope they clear this as well because the amount of rubbish dumped there I'm surprised it hasn't caused the brook to flood onto the road.

Hi Glenda, yes they are monitoring the other parts of the brook and this has been included in the tender for work for next year. 

I saw the JCB here yesterday and wondered what they were doing along the bank, thank you for the information and good to see that more has been scheduled into future maintenance. I had a wonder across early this evening and it look much much better, hopefully the stream will flow a lot easier now. I did notice that they couldn't get to the parts around the tree that is situated in the centre of the stream, (4th photo down before the one of the JCB) tree looks like it could do with removing. 

I saw the JCB here yesterday and wondered what they were doing along the bank, thank you for the information and good to see that more has been scheduled into future maintenance. I had a wonder across early this evening and it look much much better, hopefully the stream will flow a lot easier now. I did notice that they couldn't get to the parts around the tree that is situated in the centre of the stream, (4th photo down before the one of the JCB) tree looks like it could do with removing. 

You mean this one 

Newton Brook 3.jpg

Yes, I have already spoken with Cllr Tracy Bowes about seeing if they can get it removed. I spoke to the workman yesterday when I took these photographs and they said that it needs removing if they want the water to flow without obstruction.

• 1 month later...