DVLA

greenknight

With all the nonsense in the world this one is a cracker!

Mrs Knight is bending my ear for she's had a tax renewal notification letter in the post! Why she says why as my bacon sarny gets thrown across the room with me dropping down for a catch silly mid on before the next door neighbour's dog runs off with the spoils.

You see she does not pay road tax on the car..it's zip, Nada, nothing, so why does she need to complete a form for a tax disc she doesn't get and a disc that's disappeared for a zero value to show on the DVLA??

We always thought it was funny to show a tax disc with a zero value and thought once this became obsolete she would no longer get the form. I wish I'd known it was coming I would have had a few days away.

Researching this a bit more it seems that two thirds of all cars purchased now fall below the magic 100 number which means no tax.

Apart from the wasted paper if the DVLA is sending out reminders to say a million cars that fall within this category that's almost a saving of half a million quid on postage alone.

Its a nonsense Roger particularly within the first three years where no MOT is required and if you get online there is no requirement to demonstrate insurance on the vehicle which the DVLA is aware of anyway.

I must admit I haven't been the person doing the online tax disc application in my house. I dunno what boxes you have to tick. But like you say the stuff is all computerised and so DVLA will know on the date the £0 virtual disc is required whether or not your other doc{s) are in order. 

I suppose a cynic might argue that someone is hoping that you've not jumped through the digital hoop so that they can tow away the untaxed car and fine you. 

It seems like a waste of our money to produce a meaningless bit of paper when the DVLA knows if the car is liable and within the first three years there's no MOT. The DVLA also knows if a vehicle is insured hence the reason why ANPR is used more these days. If you no longer stick a bit of paper in the window there's no point in sending out this rubbish.

It's taxing but not a tax unless you feel we can afford to send out reams of paper with no ultimate objective other than to confirm what you already know and trudge down the post office only to join a queue for no other reason than to hand over a document which achieves nothing, no payment changes hands other than to confirm that you have virtually taxed your car and wasted a lot of people's time.

There is however hope because I believe it's being addressed at least for new cars up to three years where no MOT is required.

There is however hope because I believe it's being addressed at least for new cars up to three years where no MOT is required.

There must be someone out there who can write a better computer programme than the one already in existence .... ? Simplicity is the key I think. 

Every car has to be taxed whether you pay £0 or £1030 (band L Mitsubishi shogun Pinin)

Over £1000 is crazy money. But not if you earn crazy money I suppose. We pay £20 for a diesel Golf .... 

It seems daft but is maybe to ensure that the MOT (if any is up to date) and the Insurance which would then link the three together to make one valid car.

I suspect their online DATABASE is only set up this way.

But agree it was supposed to render the requirement for them to send letters and the tax disc out. So where is the savings???

I'm over it now Adrian resigned to the fact that just sometimes life is illogical. Mrs Knight has forgotten about it however she,s not happy with me....I forgot to move my helmet this morning and her hobbit feet got wet.

I'm away for few days now perhaps I shall sleep in Holly Gutter Lane before they build another 200 houses.

If the Mordiford crew think things are bad now I make that possibly 600 new houses(Aylestone Hill,Hampton Dene Road and now the Bloor Homes submission) within a couple of years and no relief road over here or bridge!

• 1 month later...

To put closure on this topic my other half wrote to Jesse who to be fair did send a letter to the DVLA which I've attached. Obviously this comes with the knowledge that our government is changing the tax code bands from 2017 because many of us have taken on vehicles which currently fall into a zero payment tax band and their income is dropping...so much for saving the planet.

Please have a read and I would be keen to hear how you interpret the reply.

If we decided not to renew the tax would we get pulled over..after all how can I pay a tax when there is nothing to pay??

post-1090-0-36434200-1437299005_thumb.jpg