Demolishing Schools

Reel

Last week I spent a few days in Hereford visiting as I've not been back for 3 years (Moved away a decade ago, however).

I decided to have a walk around my old School, Haywood (Formally and originally know as Grafton) as I was aware it had been taken over, rebuilt and turned into an Academy - Great stuff, no problem with that.

What I do take issue with however, is the fact the relatively new 'Grove' building has been completely demolished! It was only built in 1998 at a cost of £3-million pounds!!! (If I remember correctly, which I'm sure I do).

I do not know the facts of how the new school buildings have been funded (privately I assume) but I'm absolutely gobsmacked at how a building only circa' 15 years old can be discarded, especially being a very modern facility.

Don't worry it happens all the time in Hereford the council in particular luv knocking buildings down new or old did the same with Garrick house built it 20yrs later they knocked it down going to do the same with the old working boys home although it's structurally sound. So as they can build a new fire station in a conservation area?? You could say it's all because they luv wasting other peoples money?

Don't now much about your old school thou? best person to ask is megilleland he's a wizard when it comes to finding out info!!!

Three million is an awful lot to spend on a building which is demolished after 15 years.....however, an awful lot more than this is going to be spent on the proposed new fire station, with a prediction that this building is only expected to last for 30 years.

It takes the phrase "throw away society" to a whole new level.

I fear too many folks know the price of everything, and the value of nothing.

You and I both know that there is far more to council maths, than meets the eye!!

We may not think that the figures add up, but by the time they have finished with them, they most definitely will.....and what's more, somewhere along the line, they will have actually saved us millions!

I'm assuming you guys aren't (..weren't) familier with the 'Grove' building I'm talking about, which is fair enough.

I'll see if I can dig out some pics to give you an idea of how wasteful this has been!!!

Now I've seen the new development in the flesh I do believe it does more for the city than Garrick House ever did on that corner!

No afraid I'm not reel,but I will look forward to seeing the pic of it thou,. especially as as I'm not able to go view it in the flesh,due to it not being there anymore?!

No Garrick house may not have been a great architectural marvel but the slates they destroyed from off that roof well that was just sacrilege!!!

Glad you like the OLM but personally I think they could have created something more architecturally pleasing thou?

Reel if the point you're making is that the demolition of this building was sacrilege then we agree whole heartedly, we have just seen it all before. The Council will convince you they need to spend millions on something one minute the next minute they tell you it will be more cost effective to knock it on the head. We bloggers call it Council Math! We abore Council Math it translates to we wasted a shed load of your money!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Not living in Hereford anymore I miss out on a lot of what goes on, however I did see for myself the length of the grass and hedges everywhere during my recent visit - it's not welcoming at all. 

So I've found photos of the 'Grove' school building. As you can see it was a perfectly useable building. Okay not 'state of the art' anymore perhaps but still modern seeing as it was built in 1998.

I cannot understand why it was allowed to be demolished. 

_DSC0191.jpg

_DSC0194.jpg

_DSC0229.jpg

_DSC0214.jpg

_DSC0215.jpg

_DSC0224.jpg

As far as I can see from standing by the school gates/fencing (outside school time I should add!) it's now simply a turfed hill. No car park or other facility is in place that I could see.