Jump to content

Belmont Country Park


chrisbull
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hereford People, this is the Second Report of Dogs dying in as many Days 5 dogs have died now in a short time, Please be Careful of the top fields Belmont and around the Belmont Pools! Please Share!A

few years ago one of my dogs went in Belmont Pools and ended up with a rash I found out after that there is sewage leaking into the pools is this still happening 4 years on and if so why has it not been fixed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chrisbull, Yes there was a problem 4 years ago with sewage I look into it and it was found to be coming from one of the houses on Haywood Lane it was all dealt with successfully. I have had no complaints since and I am in contact with some residents living by the pools on a weekly basis and they would tell me if there is a problem. It is very sad about the dogs I am a animal lover.

 

Can I also draw parents attention of the danger of children swimming in the pools in this hot weather they are deeper than people realise and they could and have in the past got into difficulties, one child last year was fortunate that an off duty police officer came around the pools on that occasion  and had to jump in to save the child who was in difficulties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have now been informed they were putting rat poison around the lake last week could this be the cause, maybe Phil Edwards could reply to this post as he is in charge of the country park.It needs sorting as soon as possible what if a child eats some of it or if it is the pools they touch the water they could become very ill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cllr Edwards does not post on here, and he is not in charge of the country park, the country park is still in the hands of Perssimon Homes until it is given over to Herefordshire Council see my other post about this on the heading Country park open day, what I said there was from the officer in the council

Link to comment
Share on other sites

having spoken with an officer from Parks and Countryside yesterday I ask that they looked around the pools which they did today there is no evidence of rat poison, also an officer from Environmental health is visiting the Belmont Country Park area as well. If anyone sees a blue algae on the surface of the pools will you please let me know as this is dangerous to animals, please DO NOT allow your dogs either go into the water or drink it if the algae is there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

To clear up any misunderstanding regarding the pools I was sent this statement from Herefordshire Council parks and countryside officer and Environment Agency.

 

QUOTE:

 

Herefordshire council and the Environment Agency is not currently aware of any contaminates at Belmont Pools Hereford. Any incidents or concerns relating to possible contaminates such as blue-green algae at council sites including Belmont Pools and Bodenham Lake should be reported to Herefordshire council customer services team using the online contact form:www.herefordshire.gov.uk/government-citizens-andrights/customer-services-enquiries/contact-details/contact-us-form.

The council and its contractor Belfour beatty Living Places does not routinely test the water at belmont Pool or Bodenham Lake and would liaise with the enviroment agency to carry out testing as appropriate. The environment agency has confirmed that it will shortly carry out testing at belmont Pool. If you are concerned about water contaminates the environment agency offers public advise on its website: www.gov.uk/government/publication/blue-green-algae-advice-for-the-public

 

END

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Enviroment agency have done tests at the pools and it is the Blue Algae which has been killing the dogs so people stay away from the pools we don't want any more dogs dying.It was traps with rat poison they put down but the dogs couldn't get in them to get at the poison.At least the Enviroment Agency acted quickly after one of the owners of one of the dogs that died contacted them. There was an article in the Hereford Times last week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is why I was a little confused Chris!

 

The report in Glenda's post, dated 31st May, so only a matter of days ago, clearly states The Environment Agency are unaware of the blue green algae.

 

I think it's pretty poor to release a statement like that, if at that point they hadn't checked the water.

 

A week later. There's blue green algae.

 

Two hazards?? Or one??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lets get the facts straight shall we, when the rat traps were put down there was NO RAT POISON in them, the traps were a means of catching the rats. I have spoken to the parish councillor who got it wrong about putting rat poison down and he admit he got it wrong. When the Env Agency went to the pools there was no algae present at that time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...