Councillor Mark Hubbard.

bobby47

If Im right and its true that Councillor Mark Hubbard is considering not standing at the next local elections then I'd say to him, 'think again'.
I've watched from a distance the way in which this chap carries out his duties and there's no doubt that Mr Hubbard is a gifted and dedicated public servant and, given the state we are in, we can well do without losing people of his calibre.
During the time I've been contributing on this site and the Hereford Times you can't fail to appreciate the hard work and commitment some Councillors display. At one time, because I knew buggar all, I had no time for them at all. Now, because I've watched, read and listened I now appreciate the hard work of Mr Hubbard, Liz Harvey, Jim Kenyon and more recently Jon Norris.
Then of course there's our Glenda and Chris Chappell who, like their IOC colleagues work so hard to provide their best efforts to support their constituents. It's all these things that I once didn't know that I now know which compel me to thank these people who represent out interests.
But back to Mark Hubbard. He's founded a political party that's strong, its growing and its impacting and affecting the way in which we all now look at the political scenery in Hereford. My guess is, and it really is just a guess, is that Mr Hubbard handed over the leadership of his party because he was knackered and facing burn out. You can't graft like he does without it impacting upon your time and energies. Mind, I know buggar all. Im just guessing, but, if Im right, and I may be, we are going to lose one of our great local politicuans simple because he couldn't find a way of pacing himself.
Well it can be done. You can pace yourself and learn to manage your time and energy better. You simply stop trying to do everything, stop trying to please everybody, give of your best and having done that, do not give things a backward glance and worry about an outcome.
Now, more than at anytime Mark Hubbard needs to recharge his batteries, as do all the Coucillors who I've mentioned previously, and position themselves ready for the next election. This is very important and this offering is not meant to embarass Mark. If anything, he should take this as a compliment and feel good about himself.
The reason I've posted this? I've had the good fortune to form friendships with a lot of the regular bloggers. Many are like me, Gridnocker and Ubique. We are old. Our back legs have gone and our best, if we ever bloody had any are gone. However, there are many younger bloggers emerging and they are the future and they need people like Mark Hubbard to continue, get to the finishing line and when this Cabinet have gone, be in place to help rebuild our shattered economy and public services.
I'd say to Mr Hubbard, you've achieved remarkable things in a relatively short space of time and you owe it to yourself to fulfill the promise.
Today, I had the good fortune to meet Cambo. This is a young, highly intelligent young chap who's driven to make a change. It's people like Cambo, Dippy and Smartiano who are the ones who'll eventually pick up the baton, stand for Office and help get us all out of this mess.
Frankly, we don't need Mark Hubbard or any other hard working Councillor leaving the theatre now. Not now. If ever there was a time not to go its now.
My hope is that Mark Hubbard remains, I actually hope he gets rested up and returns to lead his party and rid us of this chaotic and deluded Cabinet who are bringing us all to a point in very close proximity to ruin.
On a personal note, I say to Mark Hubbard, you and your colleagues should be very proud of your many achievements but now is no time to be considering whether or not you should end your tenure as a Councillor. Have a little heart. Have a little faith and get the youngsters within these pages to help you with the burden and the load of responsibility.
Do this, pace yourself and delegate more and very soon, quicker than you might think, the fire in your belly will rise and you'll begin to feel like I do. Desperate and driven to throttle Jarvis and roll him round in nettles. Stinging nettles. Nettles harvested in August. The worst nettles. Bloody Jarvis!

Hear Hear!

Mark, yours would be impossibly big shoes to fill!

I truly hope that you will stand again, local politicians of your calibre and integrity are few and far between. Many folk have a lot of faith in you.....have a little faith in yourself that come 2015 , the political landscape inHereford will finally change.

You, Liz, Jim, Chris and others have done much for this county....perhaps we should go on record and say how much it is appreciated!

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

I would just like to re-iterate that I apologise for any unfair criticism of Cllr Hubbard I made in my post about the Working Boys Home  :Grin: 

Cllr Hubbard - What Bobby said ( twice) is the truth , will also suggest that if you receive a complement from him it's worth gold.

Take your time Cllr with your thoughts regarding standing again and make the decision that is right for you and your family.

I should like to second King Bobby's motion - or 'third' it, if Ubique got there first.

Today (Saturday) sees the official re-opening on Castle Green of The Pavilion (formerly the old council-owned 'canoe centre').  And though its rescue has been achieved through the efforts of a large and dedicated bunch of local people, I don't think any of them would disagree if I said that Cllr Hubbard has been the driving force in saving this handsome Regency building (once a public bath house, I believe) on the banks of the Wye. 

Well done Mark!

• Guests
Guest maadlove7

I hope Mark reads this, if only to know that he is more appreciated than he could imagine and I definitely second Bobby's post and others who support the post. Mark, your county needs you (and yes we know you have a life to live, lol) There must be a more balanced way you can do both ...

Which is more important at a time like this? ....

• 2 weeks later...

I am really sorry to hear this.

Mark has done so much for this city, we owe him a debt of gratitude. He, more than anybody, made me personally realise, that you CAN make a difference to where you live. He's an inspiration. We may not win all the battles, but at least we are now in fighting mode, no longer content to meekly accept all that is dished out.

I wish Mark well, in whatever he does next, and I'd like to thank him, very much, for everything that he has done.

(And the next time, some of us mendacious oddities meet up, you may find yourself on the guest list!)

Stupidflustration .... Cllr MH appears to be a very good Cllr and will be missed and I accept that some may say that Cllrs do not get paid much , however I must add that a very high number of Volunteer Charity workers / supporters get paid nothing or just their expenses for supporting their chosen charity . So that ,in my humble thoughts is not a reason to give up .

. I am sure the Cllr Hubbard has a very good reason to step down , but I do not think that it's money .

• 2 weeks later...

Have just found this topic - many thanks for all the kind words. I've never been any good at keeping secrets - always think it is best to be open and honest about things. There are lots of reasons for me moving on at the next election - yes money has got something to do with it. I don't seem able to be a councillor without throwing 100% at it! which generally means a 40-60hr week, not leaving much time for earning extra money. On an allowance of £7k it doesn't leave much spare. With no pension I don't want to have to sell my house to get through old age as I quite like living here!

I also think 8 years as a councillor is enough. It is a very combative situation to continually go through (well, the way I do it seems to be). I won't stand by and not speak out and there is so much to speak out about. So it's time I gave it a rest and did something more positive with my energy - something that will let me put a bit by for my old age!

It's been fun.... And I am not going anywhere...... I will still be an active citizen! I also still have a year to go and I intend to make it count!

Genuinely sorry to hear this, Mark - but I understand your reasons!

As you say, there are still 12 months left.....plenty of time to cause mayhem!!

I wish you well, in whatever you do next...........and hope whoever fills your space is half as great a councillor as you have been!

• 10 months later...

Bumping this back to the front page because many members seem unaware of Marks decision to not stand for council again.

We had this discussion almost a year ago, and as you can see, Mark himself has contributed to the thread to explain his reasons.

Always best to hear things straight from the horses mouth, so to speak!