Its Our County.

bobby47

I've been blogging for a number of years now and, moreoften than not, I've hurled as much bile and phlegm at this Conservative Cabinet and its got me absolutely nowhere. For my part, my issue isn't with Conservatives. Not at all! My problem is with the dynamics that exist and have existed within the Council Cabinet during these past couple of years. These strange and often odd dynamics have, I believe, brought about monumental mistakes that we may never recover from and so I've come to my own personal conclusion about which way I should go.

As far as the Independent Councillors are concerned, particularly Councillor Glenda Vaughan Powell, I have the utmost respect for her and them. I couldn't hold Councillor Powell in any higher regard and oddly enough, it's her experiences before and after the Council Standards gathering that has convinced me which way I should jump from hereon. Because of her 'own' Independent colleagues, who Im sure are all good and kind people, diligently trying their best to serve their constituents, this lady was kicked about, mistreated and subjected to a completely unnecessary ordeal. All this was done in the name of Independent Councillors. My view was and is now, that if they, collectively can't stick together and support oneanother, how on earth are they ever going to gather together and sing from the same hymn sheet.

It's because of this chain of events and the fact that Im tired of ranting and raving about this unholy Council Cabinet, that I've decided to support the I.O.C in anyway that I can. That support will be blogging, banging their drum and doing what I can to help them into a position where they can get a hold on a lever of power and put an end to this madness that's been bequeathed to us by Councillor Jarvis and his unfortunate successor Councillor Johnson.

From hereon, Im going to do all I can to support the I.O.C. and I'd urge all my blogging colleagues to consider my opinion and hopefully agree with me that this is now the step to take. Putting it bluntly, because of the Glenda Powell situation and the hopelessness of our current predicament, I believe that the IOC are our only hope for some clear, commonsense and joined up thinking that hopefully will deliver us all from the chaos that's been poured all over our heads.

My very warmest regards to you all.

Hi Bobby,this will come as no suprise to you,but I came to this decision a little while ago.As far as I can see, they are the only group who seem organised and committed enough to want to bring about the positive changes we so desperately need.

Don't get me wrong - we are in one hell of a mess, and it's going to take a lot of time and effort to drag ourselves back up out of the mire.

But I am greatly encouraged by the fact that like us,they are also keen to promote transparency and accountability. We can no longer tolerate secret meetings, and big decisions that effect so many of us being made behind closed doors. IOC get this. We have to move forward, and I strongly believe IOC are the only party that are capable of achieving this.

Please,Pontrilas...think carefully when you place your cross on the ballot paper. We cannot continue like this.We need a change for the better. And then,we all need to pull together to support them.Difficult times still lie ahead,but to continue as we are is now no longer an option.

And another thing, its not just the voters who are seeing it this way. Alan Seldon is a highly regarded councillor - he's just moved across to IOC.Frank, I absolutely respect your view, but for me personally, supermarkets, chain restaurants and department stores that can be found up and down the country just aren't the answer. We so need to build on what we have. Folk visit Hereford for the Cathedral, The Mappa Mundi, The Wye, they don't come to visit Nando's! This development could finish off our High Town, we could lose our identity, and become another faceless city.

Things need to change and move with the times, I truly appreciate that, but this whole thing could have been done so very differently, and without ripping out the heart of our home.

Please don't think I am having a pop, I am not - I am just passionate about getting this City back to its best, not just for us, but for future generations. Much damage has been done - lets not allow them to do anymore.

Bobby, I think it is unfair to discredit all Herefordshire Independent councillors when only two of them turned against me, the others supported me. I also feel it is wrong to show favour to one political party on the eve of a by-election when there are three candidates standing. The Independent candidate is like me works very hard for her community, and cares greatly for them, she also cares about Hereford and what has happened to it, your comment could easily turn people against her, which is a shame I have guided her over the past three years and in 2011 she came a very close second to Mr Hamilton.

Dippyhippy,

You are wrong in your opinion about Alan Seldon, he was very disruptive within the Independent group and threw his toys out of the pram when he was not voted in as Leader or deputy leader, he is not as popular as you seem to think!

I don't think anybody is being discredited, I just feel we have to look to the future, and the only viable alternative is IOC. I said on another thread, that there is talent across the board,(coalition cabinet thread). BUT thats not going to ever be allowed to happen under the present regime. IOC are the best altenative if we want to see real,positive change.

Bobby, I think it is unfair to discredit all Herefordshire Independent councillors when only two of them turned against me, the others supported me. I also feel it is wrong to show favour to one political party on the eve of a by-election when there are three candidates standing. The Independent candidate is like me works very hard for her community, and cares greatly for them, she also cares about Hereford and what has happened to it, your comment could easily turn people against her, which is a shame I have guided her over the past three years and in 2011 she came a very close second to Mr Hamilton.

Dippyhippy,

You are wrong in your opinion about Alan Seldon, he was very disruptive within the Independent group and threw his toys out of the pram when he was not voted in as Leader or deputy leader, he is not as popular as you seem to think!

I have no political agenda I don't look at the promises one party offer over another. I look at the character and integrity of the people in that party. If they are truly fighting for the good of Hereford with a passion and I see it and I believe it then I will stand behind them. Yes they might campaign for something I have no interest in but if it's got a sound business case behind it and it's for the benefit of our County then I will stay quiet, because I will never agree with every decision a party makes. However they should listen to what the public want and admit their mistakes.

IOC may not stand for everything we want and the Independents might not have the same strength in numbers but both parties have a common goal and if either truely cared for the electorate they would stand together! I honestly believe the two parties combined will make a formidable force. IOC are lacking the one thing that might help them pull off the removal of this current Cabinet and that's the Independents. The independents will keep them on the right path! 

IOC being the bigger party should show commitment to a coalition by conceding Pontrilas on condition the Independents join forces, them we will surely have a party we believe in and will stand with!

Glenda, I knew from the outset that my view and my words would bring you disappointment. Yes, I realise that I've set myself upon a different course to you and your Independent colleagues but I've not done this to hurt, offend or anger anyone in anyway. I simply know that for me, this is the decision that Im happy to stand on.

As for the reading of my piece, I do not believe I've discredited any independent Councillor and if it reads in that way I offer you and them my sincere apologies. My point is simple and straightforward, you were attacked beneath the banner of independent Councillors and whilst I was genuinely concerned for you as a friend, I was and am equally concerned that the Independents do not act together, stand together and sing from the same hymn sheet and I no longer believe the Independent Group are able to act as one and rid us of this Cabinet Leadership.

Finally, me and any influence I have regarding the voting at the Pontrilas election, I have none Glenda. Im not kidding myself in anyway. Im the peddler of cleverly crafted codswallop. That's all it is. It's nothing else. Nobody with an a'peth of commonsense and intelligence would take a blind bit of notice of my senile ramblings.

My very warmest regards to you Councillor.

Hi Flam! Just read your post!

But we have been here before haven't we? Asking them to work together, and for whatever reason it doesn't happen.I, like you have always said its the person that counts. They have to have integrity, honesty,be able to put the needs of us ahead of their own agendas.....I am with you on that. That's the frustrating thing, there are councillors who tick all those boxes in every party.....but they are NOT the ones making the powerful decisions! That's why we need an organised group like IOC, who can make a real challenge.

And I have to say, of all the councillors who come on these forums, IOC are the most willing to engage - certaintly on HT anyway!

Dip, I agree in part but IOC will only engage when it helps them, think of the times they've engaged and the times they haven't  I'm betting they will join this thread in the not to distant future. I'm behind IOC so with you on that but I want the voice of reason the control switch and I think that's within the Independents. And in all honesty am I being hypocritical, do I want either or do I just not want what we currently have? There lies my dilemma and my reason for wanting the Independents and IOC together, because it's new?  :Blushing_32:

Morning Flam, IF they can come together, we could have the best of both worlds, but I'm just not sure that will happen.As I said on another thread, to cherry pick the best of them all for the good of the county, that would be the best solution to me, but the Power Shower we have at the moment, won't let that happen - at least not at the moment!

old cattle market site which their policy clearly points out that they against 

Are they against the OLM or are they against building over budgeted projects without first sorting out the foundations and infrastructure?

I'm not against the OLM, but I am against the way they have done it with no regards to putting a suitable infrastructure in first and the complete disregard for the rest of the city and its highly valuable merits (just look at Left Bank now)

I absolutely agree with this....

We so need to build on what we have. Folk visit Hereford for the Cathedral, The Mappa Mundi, The Wye, they don't come to visit Nando's!

IOC were always against the OLM development but did not get anywhere the planning application went through, then just before the 2011 elections they changed their name to "its our county", also they are not the largest group other than the Conservatives,  some of their members are members of the green party,  the Independents are the next largest group to the Conservatives and always has been.

Ok can someone explain how the independents are a party? Surely they are independent? Sorry to sound dim but if you're  independent you have your own mind your own morals and ideas? I thought the definition was in the title?  Isn't that what we need a group of people with their own minds with no party agenda to work to, won't that make a democratic party? The only mantra the ruling party should be chanting is..... we don't have an agenda we represent the majority and we will engage the public on every major decision and we will work for what you want? IOC don't have to like the independents and vice versa you just have to be representatives of the people of Hereford, I can't get away from thinking that joining forces is the only way to go?

You are not dim Flam!

This very subject was debated over at HT, following a letter sent in by one of them!

Independants are exactly that - independent!

That's all lovely and great to a certain point,but they seem to lack any sort of cohesion PRECISELY because they are Independent!!

we don't have an agenda we represent the majority

While I agree with most of what you said - this... the trouble is, the majority aren't always right. Like most consumers, people think they know what they want, but they actually don't. 

Not that I'm defending the council by any stretch of the imagination! God no.

Biomech will you please keep up! I think all major decisions should go to public consultation and decisions made based on the majority opinion. It should not be made by IOC, Independents or the Cons! I vote for them to make decisions based on public opinion not on party politics! Didn't I say that? Lol 

Sorry if I'm confusing anyone I've a lot to contend with I work for the Council I'm grossly under paid and bullied on a daily basis, it's a wonder I'm sane!

DIPPY listen,very carefully I shall say this only Once 

Click on the arrow next to the box that says Font when the menu drops down select Arial then do the same with the box that says Size and choose 12

Hope that helps Grasshopper! 

If not you need to attach the flubbery wubbery to the dubbery it's probably under your bed! Lol

Thanks for the words of wisdom Oh great one - a glorious mix of 'Allo 'Allo and The Karate Kid,fabulous! Seriously though,its fine if I post on the other halfs notepad thing,its the laptop I have a problem with!

I don't care - I am an individual and my font is a reflection of my personality!