Commercial Street Hereford Refurbishment

Hereford Voice

Commercial Street Hereford to undergo refurbishment in May.
Commercial_Street_2.jpg.67392a11775a94342bbbf53af116f472.jpg

The second phase of work to upgrade Hereford City Centre will begin in May 2018 with the refurbishment of Commercial Street, High Town.

Balfour Beatty Living Places on behalf of Herefordshire Council will carry out refurbishment works on the Commercial Street area of High Town from early May.

The work is the second phase of a refurbishment project for the city centre that will create a consistent look with the recent refurbishment of Widemarsh Street and High Street. Future phases will include an enhanced walking and cycling environment. 

Councillor Barry Durkin, cabinet member highways and transport said 

“This project is key to the success of the city as a regional shopping destination, with longer term plans to improve Commercial Road and Blueschool Street, it will further enhance the city as an attractive and easily accessible destination for visitors and shoppers.

Hereford has never looked as positive and vibrant as it does today and we need to build on the successes of the last few years and continue to support existing retailers and continue to attract new traders to ensure Hereford is a regional shopping destination of choice.”

The work will be phased to ensure minimal disruption to businesses and shoppers. All access to frontages will be maintained. Work will continue through 2018 with a break for the busy Christmas shopping period. The Commercial Street phase of the scheme will be completed in early 2019.

I wish Cllr Durkin would also turn his attention to the pavements of Commercial Road, where there are dozens of potential death traps concealed amongst the litter-strewn cracked concrete and dislodged brick pavers. To think that in three months time, Three Choirs Festival-goers arriving in the city by train will have to make their way up this fetid carriageway!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SON OF GRIDKNOCKER said:

I wish Cllr Durkin would also turn his attention to the pavements of Commercial Road, where there are dozens of potential death traps concealed amongst the litter-strewn cracked concrete and dislodged brick pavers. To think that in three months time, Three Choirs Festival-goers arriving in the city by train will have to make their way up this fetid carriageway!

I agree, the whole area needs a damn good sort out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AndyS2992 said:

About time too, looks disgusting. You have the old brick paving and then big patches of black tarmac. A complete eyesore.

The tarmac areas are where the water gas and electricity have been replaced in preparation for the refurbishment.

7 hours ago, Bill Thomas said:

I agree, the whole area needs a damn good sort out.

Such lack of vision by HC's suits. From the Kerry PH to KFC opposite Station Approach is never ever going to be Hereford's Sunset Boulevard, but given its myriad pubs, bars, fast-food outlets and chippies (which planners sensibly collected together) it needs seriously smartening up -  along the lines of the many warm and friendly locations you can encounter in many French, Italian or Spanish towns and cities. Is that really asking too much, Councillor Durkin?  

18 hours ago, Slim said:

How long is this going to take? 12 months ish! What about the market traders? What about the crap bronze signage let in to the flag-stones. 

Think I saw somewhere that the granite stones with brass lettering will be replaced by engraved stones instead.

Having walked down Commercial St. today I had a thought ! 

It a pity that the Council haven't placed signs at either end of the Street  stating words to the effect that the road is going to be " sorted out " in May . Just wonder what impression these 2000 plus visitors a day visiting the Poppies Weeping Window have when they see the block work and tarmac . Signs either end explaining what's happening would reassure / advise the visitors that the road surfaces are only temporary .

I agree 100% with Ubique's wise words. The organisers of the superb Weeping Windows event have spent a considerable amount of money on yellow directional signs to assist incoming bus tours. HC might take a leaf out of their book and, when the Poppies event finishes, use the whole of the window of the Franklin Barnes building for a huge colour graphic to show to Council Tax payers how Commercial Street and Commercial Road will look in the future.

• Like 1