Herefordshire Council Jobs

Aylestone Voice

A few years back there was a restructure in one of the large Directorate's. Just for fun let's call it Environment.

At the time one of the assistant directors did not get a job and normally would be made redundant. But they were obviously too valuable to get rid of so was given another job but keeping the salary and position. I believe some of the funding came from elsewhere.

Time moves on and the cost cutting goes on with more restructures and all of a sudden the person concerned gets almost their original job back.

In the Directorate there is, obviously, the Director plus at least 5 Assistant Directors. This at the time when people are being made redundant by the bus load.

it does seem that if you are favoured you are looked after

I came to the conclusion some while ago that the only reason for Council's being is to constantly reinvent and reorganise themselves. Without this, the whole caboodle could be run with just a few dozen people (as indeed the older district councils were). Look at todays story in the HT on payouts and specifically the department names - carefully crafted to disguise their real purpose of not much at all really. What on earth does the 'Inclusion & Improvement' department do? No wonder the assistant director of 'Customer Services and Communications' left. And why indeed 'Director'? The Council isn't a limited company (yet) although parts of it are run like the FBI ...

My favourite idiotic departmental name is 'Place Based Commissioning' (because Highways was just too, well, obvious) - HC actually employed consultants to come up with that one. Money well spent, don't you think?

As for Environment (again too obvious), its had more name changes than I can keep up with - the latest being 'Economy, Communities and Corporate'. Nice and oblique that one - who'd have thought it was the planning department??

To quote the much missed bobby47 - we're all doomed.

Senior Managers are given the task of saving money they are told what the savings need to be . They gather together in a room and decide on their new titles and then come up with a reason why it's imperative they stay. Once that's done they decide how they are going to make the savings needed. They then 're-shuffle the front line staff change all the department names and make half a dozen front line staff redundant, giving those left more work to do, which won't get done because it's an impossible task.  That gives them months some times years before anyone will notice, by that time it will be time to do it all again!  Don't take my word for it wait till you see the 're-shuffle for Libraries and Customer Services!  Incidentally those managers with new titles are all working from home, nice job if you can get it!

Of course another reason for endless restructuring is to avoid any traceability and/or responsibility for actions - with new job titles, management are off  scot free for a few months as well as being completely inaccessible to the hapless council tax payers who had been dealing with them and who have to start all over again.