Anyone else experiencing noise from Tescos Belmont store?

cv5

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Glenda - I have sent you a private message with an update. We have received a phonecall this morning and will hopefully be getting some low frequency recording equipment in the new year! :Happy_32: 

The only thing that is against us at the moment is that were the only complaint to the environmental health for the noise. We are hoping that as Tescos is closed for Christmas day - we should in theory have a peaceful day. (Fingers crossed)

Take care everyone and Merry Christmas to you all!

CV5

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Hi there I am Phil from no1 Romsey Drive and I have had nothing but noise problems from TESCO for the 13 years I have lived here.

I usually hear a generator type noise from 05.30 onwards but I was kept awake last night by the wooden gates as they clank together in high winds.

What can be done about it? Not a lot using the normal channels but if you want it stopped then I suggest a 48 hour picket and stop all deliveries to their store.....it is simple but highly effective

Phil, I have been dealing with this on behalf of CV5 the environmental health are putting monitoring equipment into their home this week, if it is proven that the noise is excessive they will take action. In the mean time I would suggest you get a petition drawn up with as many signatures as possible and hand it into the manager at Tesco. If all this fails there is no reason why you cannot picket peacefully with plackards and invite the local Journal / HT to come and take photo's and interview you . Tesco will not like an adverse story going into the press, DO NOT obstruct deliveries as Tesco would call the police, they could not stop you all picketing either side of the gates.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Thanks Glenda and may I wish you a "a Happy New Year"

Now did you know that .....TESCO need planning permission to fit new extractor fans and to the best of my knowledge they have once again flouted planning law by failing to apply for it....

http://camden.gov.uk/ccm/content/environment/planning-and-built-environment/two/planning-applications/before-you-apply/residential-and-business-projects/plant-ventilation-extraction-and-air-conditioning-equipment.en;jsessionid=74B16F2ADE4BA23786C2DE3F233A9A28.node2

Has the Council served an enforcement notice? If not, do you happen to know why not?

I would also advise that it is my understanding that the EHO will need to measure the noise with both a narrow band frequency analyser (measures low frequency sounds) as well as the standard measuring equipment...although the EHO does have the power to serve a Noise Abatement Notice if they personally witness the noise nusiance (a visit in the small hours would suffice)...

I am aware of the equipment they need and they have advised me that is what they will do. The officer I spoke to advised they would come out to witness the noise for themselves. The enforcement officer is aware of the situation in regard to Tesco need planning permission I advised him of this the week before Christmas.

No way would I tell you to mind your own business, I support my constituents 100%, my advise was a precautionary messure in regard to Tesco, whether you take my advise is up to you! I have been dealing with problems at Tesco for the last 9 years, it may take some time but I have always got the result I was looking for my constituents.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Good morning...

And there in lies the problem....I have been dealing with noise problems eminating from TESCO for 13 years....you've been doing it for 9 and we still have the same problems rearing their ugly head so I guess whatever we are doing has no lasting impact......

The problem is not the noise....the noise is a result of the real problem which is TESCO because they have no respect for the the planning laws or their neighbours and they are allowed to walk all over Herefordshire Council who consistently refuse to prosecute TESCO despite numerous continued breaches of planning law

I would welcome a site visit with you, Mark Lane, CV5, the Store Manager and someone from TESCO Head Office if you can make it happen..... as this problem needs sorting out once and for all :Thumbs-Up:

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update -

we still had the rumble and vibration over Christmas - even Christmas day was terrible - which surprised us as we thought we'd at least get one day free of the noise! Seems to be a regular pattern at night from 10:30pm through to 6.00am the noise intensifies.

But.....since Monday 7th January, something seems to have happened (Fingers Crossed). The noise and vibration went quieter in my bedroom - where it was the noisiest. It's gone right down to the scale of 1 out of 5 for several days!! Hooray!!! Its still there, but without its intensity its a lot easier to live with!

Downstairs in the house though, it is still quite intense - along the same side of the house. My mum has been more effected this week than I have due to us being in different places of the house. Its still decreased but its more of a 3-4 out of 5.

Though not to jinx myself too early - last-night I seemed to have tuned into the noise and couldn't sleep - even though its quieter its still there.

Still haven't heard off the environmental health though.

Hoping this will stay quieter or even disappear altogether!! Will keep you all posted!!

Take care!!

I spoke to Marc Willmott yesterday asking for a meeting with Environmental Health officers, Mark Lane, residents affected,and myself together with manager of Tesco and someone from their HO. I am waiting for him to arrange this and come back to me when the meeting will take place. I invited him to come on this site to read the comments from the residents affected.

Hi Glenda,

that's great work! Be interesting to see if you get any replies!

I have to say that I totally jinxed myself the other day by posting about the noise being quieter - on the same night the noise came back!

Its been getting gradually louder up to the point of not being able to sleep again at night. This morning at around 4am it kicked in with vibration just as bad as it was before, so were back to the noise level being 4 out of 5. :Sad: 

So we look forward to any news of the meeting or anything to do with sorting this out. Were tired and the effects of this noise is deeply impacting on our daily life and our mental health as its causing anxiety and depression.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I have to say that I totally jinxed myself the other day by posting about the noise being quieter - on the same night the noise came back!

The proposed extension to the Dot Com facility at this shop might generate some more noise possibly? 

The proposed extension to the Dot Com facility at this shop might generate some more noise possibly? 

I very much doubt there will be any increase in noise, have a look at the plans, the proposals are very minimal and actually look like it will help in a reduction of any noise.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

I know where that is ..I live at Romset Drive and unlike you we do not benefit from trees or acoustic fencing so I would hate to see any further development of this area....

I have made my points clear in the other thread and wondered what your thoughts are?

:Blushing_32: Apologies to Tesco's on this occasion.  :Blushing_32: 

The noise and vibration is still pretty constant and causing serious migraines in the family.  But whilst I was up the meadow the other morning I managed to track down the machinery noise to somewhere up river across the river Wye.  Sounds like a pumping machine or something mechanical up the river (opposite to town way).

I wonder if its a nearby farmer or factory that's causing this annoying low noise rumble by pumping water out of or into the River?  

We are so tired of the noise and vibration.  Surely were not the only ones who can hear it.

So.....apologies to Tesco's for me pointing the finger to them!  Our error.   :Blushing_32:

cv5

:Blushing_32: Apologies to Tesco's on this occasion.  :Blushing_32: 

The noise and vibration is still pretty constant and causing serious migraines in the family.  But whilst I was up the meadow the other morning I managed to track down the machinery noise to somewhere up river across the river Wye.  Sounds like a pumping machine or something mechanical up the river (opposite to town way).

I wonder if its a nearby farmer or factory that's causing this annoying low noise rumble by pumping water out of or into the River?  

We are so tired of the noise and vibration.  Surely were not the only ones who can hear it.

So.....apologies to Tesco's for me pointing the finger to them!  Our error.   :Blushing_32:

cv5

Might be worth asking Dave Throup about this ... He's from the Environment Agency for this area and he's very active on Social Media

Twitter

I know where that is ..I live at Romset Drive and unlike you we do not benefit from trees or acoustic fencing so I would hate to see any further development of this area....

I have made my points clear in the other thread and wondered what your thoughts are?

Romsey Drive is the other side of the road from us. There are trees at the back of Tesco but they do not run all the way along, but we do have the fence I suppose. We have had a look at the plans and to be honest we have no real objections here, like I said before, the proposed changes are quite minimal and I think it will actually reduce noise if anything and to be fair, we don't suffer noise on a large scale. I think where you are the noise levels from Lorries would be worse? But we knew what to expect moving in here, Tesco's was here before these houses were complete, so we were always aware to expect deliveries.