Recycling question

Victor Wright

I am confused as we are told that we cannot put plastic lids in the recycle bins but its plastic? and also not allowed to put polythene bags either yet I noticed that a lot of people still use the polythene bags when their bins are full and the bin men take these and throw them onto the recycle refuse truck?

I am confused as we are told that we cannot put plastic lids in the recycle bins but its plastic? and also not allowed to put polythene bags either yet I noticed that a lot of people still use the polythene bags when their bins are full and the bin men take these and throw them onto the recycle refuse truck?

Victor- I have left a message with waste management to come back to me with an explanation to your request, once I receive the information I will post HERE!

Victor - further to your enquiry I have received an email this afternoon as follows

Dear Cllr Powell,
As discussed we prefer not for people to put either plastic bottle tops or plastic bags into their kerbside recycling collection for the following reasons:

1. Plastic bottle tops are simply to small for the recycling plant, EnviroSort, to sort out.They end up passing through the process and are currently disposed of at landfil. The plant is designed to separate the majority of recyclable materials, which are larger and easier to pick out.

2. Plastic bags to cause some problems for the machinery at the recycling facility. They can get caught around the various conveyers and in the sorting equipment, and can cause blockages. Any plastic bags and film that is put in needs to be removed by hand and so if there was to much the staff that do this would not be able to manage. The only plastic film that should go to the recycling
facility is the recycling bags which are provided by ourselves and partner councils in Worcester.

Kenton Vigus
Waste Disposal Officer
Herefordshire Council
01432 260169.

• 2 years later...