County Councillors Urge Council Leaders to Ditch Western Bypass in Favour of Eastern River Crossing

Hereford Voice

County councillors on the scrutiny committee have urged leaders to ditch plans for a bypass west of Hereford in favour of a preferred an eastern river crossing option.

If cabinet agree with this option this could see the construction of an additional river crossing creating an eastern link road connecting Rotherwas with Ledbury Road or Hampton Park Road.

123912866_1956097251194081_6977357020045885114_o.thumb.jpg.577961bd7473d688f0d25f56f14ae313.jpg

Other options included the idea of a water bus but there was more focus on improving walking and cycling networks, buses and possible 'part-time traffic light system' an idea initiated many years ago and heavily campaigned for by Hereford Voice however, it was clear from the meeting that more consideration should be given to making more use of the river which flows through the heart of Hereford.

Cabinet is expected to debate these options at a meeting scheduled for December.

If the Eastern by-pass is the option they choose then the SLR needs to be built too.
And a river boat..Makes my angry that as serious as the problems with our roads and traffic are, we have a deluded Councillor that thinks this is an acceptable idea.
Give me a day with John Harrington and I could point out at least a dozen problem areas in the City that if changed would go a long way to easing congestion in this City

19 hours ago, ragwert said:

If the Eastern by-pass is the option they choose then the SLR needs to be built too.
And a river boat..Makes my angry that as serious as the problems with our roads and traffic are, we have a deluded Councillor that thinks this is an acceptable idea.
Give me a day with John Harrington and I could point out at least a dozen problem areas in the City that if changed would go a long way to easing congestion in this City

River boat is a stupid idea. Turning the traffic lights off or making them part time will help

18 months in power and not a single traffic light turned off. Really disappointing. The whole traffic light thing needs some serious investigation - once they're installed, they need maintenance, which means a contract with a third party, which means a steady flow of money out of the Council coffers into private pockets. Not hard to see where things can go awry.

2 hours ago, twowheelsgood said:

18 months in power and not a single traffic light turned off. Really disappointing. The whole traffic light thing needs some serious investigation - once they're installed, they need maintenance, which means a contract with a third party, which means a steady flow of money out of the Council coffers into private pockets. Not hard to see where things can go awry.

We have been talking with Herefordshire Council, the recent scrutiny committee do not agree unfortunately however, we may have some success making some part-time. Still disappointing but were not giving up yet! 

After a few e-mail exchanges with John Harrington way back last year I saw quite a few positive comments from him especially regarding the Asda lights and possible various traffic light removal.
Unfortunately every single one of those positive comments has come to nothing.
By the time they actually do something we won't have to look at a greener,clean way of travelling because we will all be running around in electric vehicles.