Coronavirus Confirmed in Herefordshire

Hereford Voice

Joint statement on confirmed COVID-19 case in Herefordshire

506999735_CoronavirusGeneric1.thumb.jpg.d3ccbd197bcb9dfb73e3a1ccd0307a64.jpg

Herefordshire Council, PHE and the NHS are well prepared to deal with coronavirus

Sue Ibbotson, Centre Director, Public Health England West Midlands, said: 

“Public Health England is contacting people who had close contact with one of the latest confirmed cases of COVID-19 who is a resident of Herefordshire.

“Close contacts will be given health advice about symptoms and emergency contact details to use if they become unwell in the 14 days after contact with the confirmed case. This tried and tested method will ensure we are able to minimise any risk to them and the wider public.”

Karen Wright, Director of Public Health for Herefordshire Council, said: 

“I’d like to reassure people that the risk to the general public remains low and the local authority is working with health colleagues to do everything we can to stop the virus spreading and ensure the people of Herefordshire are protected.

“Good hygiene is the best prevention and there are some simple steps you can take to protect you and your family by washing your hands regularly and thoroughly and if you cough, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue.

“If you have recently been to one of the affected areas and are feeling unwell, you should use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service or call NHS 111 for further advice straight away  – please don’t go to your doctor or a hospital. There’s lots of advice on how people can protect themselves online at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus.”

2 hours ago, Aylestone Voice said:

I was only slightly concerned about Covid19 but now as it seems that the Council is involved I am starting to panic!!!

Looking at their website it seems they are just parroting the advice of the government

Perhaps Karen can enlighten us as to what the Council are actually doing?

Over the top mass panic if you ask me.
Suicide is killing more people right now than this virus.How about we all stock up with smiles at strangers instead of bog rolls and hand sanitiser.

On 09/03/2020 at 18:03, Aylestone Voice said:

I was only slightly concerned about Covid19 but now as it seems that the Council is involved I am starting to panic!!!

Looking at their website it seems they are just parroting the advice of the government

Perhaps Karen can enlighten us as to what the Council are actually doing?

I'm not sure which is more alarming - the sight of Boris at his press call yesterday looking like a terrified rabbit caught in the headlights or our Council taking charge if things get really bad. Remind me, where is the Council nuclear bunker that they'll all be scurrying down into?