District and Parish Councils Belmont Ward.

Glenda Powell

I have been asked by residents in Belmont Ward about the difference between the Unitary (Herefordshire Council) and parish councils.

There are two parish councils, one for Hereford City which covers the Newton Farm and Hunderton estates ONLY as both of these are within the city boundary.The thing that sets it apart from the other parish council is it has a Mayor who carries out civic duties for Hereford City. also a Deputy Mayor both are elected into office by the city councillors for a period of one year.

I have been asked by residents in Belmont Ward about the difference between the Unitary (Herefordshire Council) and parish councils.

There are two parish councils, one for Hereford City which covers the Newton Farm and Hunderton estates ONLY as both of these are within the city boundary.The thing that sets it apart from the other parish council is it has a Mayor who carries out civic duties for Hereford City. also a Deputy Mayor both are elected into office by the city councillors for a period of one year.

Glenda what cant you do as local councillor that you can do as parish councillor, you do not live in Belmont so why don’t you give a chance to a resident like Adrian Bridges who has done more for Belmont this year than you have.

:Winky:  :Winky:

Roger - all of the original post has not been printed - I answered a previous post as to why Cllr Edwards and I as district councillor want to serve on BRPC. As Herefordshire Council is the over arching council who make the final decisions it is advantagous to the people we represent in the parish councils because we can highlight and fight for what our constituents want at the higher level. As a parish council or as parish councillors you can only put FORWARD your recommendations!

yes I do not live in the Belmont Rural Parish but I do represent you all and have done since 2003. It is obvious who you are going to vote for at the election by your comments, I ask what has Adrian Bridges done this year? Just to remind you there are 3 candidates for this election, and the people alone will decide who they want to represent them on the Parish Council which is the democratic way of doing things. I am standing again because THE PEOPLE OF bELMONT pARISH HAS ASK ME TO!

• Guests
Guest Glenysp

Roger - all of the original post has not been printed - I answered a previous post as to why Cllr Edwards and I as district councillor want to serve on BRPC. As Herefordshire Council is the over arching council who make the final decisions it is advantagous to the people we represent in the parish councils because we can highlight and fight for what our constituents want at the higher level. As a parish council or as parish councillors you can only put FORWARD your recommendations!

yes I do not live in the Belmont Rural Parish but I do represent you all and have done since 2003. It is obvious who you are going to vote for at the election by your comments, I ask what has Adrian Bridges done this year? Just to remind you there are 3 candidates for this election, and the people alone will decide who they want to represent them on the Parish Council which is the democratic way of doing things. I am standing again because THE PEOPLE OF bELMONT pARISH HAS ASK ME TO!

Are you saying that parish councils are pointless then as District Councillors are better at representing our views? Why do we need a parish council?

Those who viewed the previous site posts will know that this election has come about because you did not attend meetings. Can we have your absolute assurance that if elected you will attend all meetings as a parish councillor? I see no point in electing someone who isn't going to bother to take part.

I write in answer to Glenysp - do not attempt to put words in my mouth, you will not succeed. Parish councils have their place, but as I said can only put forward the council / councilors views to Herefordshire Council it is up to the local authority whether to act upon a parish council's recommendations or not. May I suggest that you attend Belmont Parish council meetings then you would see the procedure.

In regard to the election, there is only one vacancy you have three candidate's to choose from so two will be disappointed. It is my understanding that the election was called by thirteen parishioners who wish for an election, because they did not want someone to be co-opted onto the parish council. I might add that I did infact attend a meeting of the South Wye Regeneration Board in my representative role for the parish council on 10th March 2010 before the six months were up. Again it is obvious that you will not be voting for me or anyone else because your name is not on the electoral role, or at least the name you are using here! You and others have made very sarcastic remarks toward me on the other website, may I suggest you read the rules & guidelines of this site because you will not be allowed to do it on Belmont Voice. it is so easy is it not to hide behind an assumed name, I have more respect for someone who has the courage to use their own name, and meet me face to face to air their views of me when I am stood in front of them.

Cllr Glenda Powell.

Are you saying that parish councils are pointless then as District Councilors are better at representing our views? Why do we need a parish council?

Those who viewed the previous site posts will know that this election has come about because you did not attend meetings. Can we have your absolute assurance that if elected you will attend all meetings as a parish councilor? I see no point in electing someone who isn't going to bother to take part.

Well that in my opinion, is an unfair question, nobody could give that guarantee and your choice of words makes it sound like she deliberately missed going! that said, I am confident that Cllr Powell if re-elected will attend as many meeting possible as she has done over the years. I think this whole attack on her is totally un-called for as it was only during a 6 month period of which, most of that time she was ill hence why she was unable to attend all the meetings, but to be fair to Cllr Powell that never stopped her doing her duty.

Glenysp, have you ever actually attended any parish meetings yourself? just out of curiosity, as I have on a few occasions.

• Guests
Guest Glenysp

Well that in my opinion, is an unfair question, nobody could give that guarantee and your choice of words makes it sound like she deliberately missed going! that said, I am confident that Cllr Powell if re-elected will attend as many meeting possible as she has done over the years. I think this whole attack on her is totally un-called for as it was only during a 6 month period of which, most of that time she was ill hence why she was unable to attend all the meetings, but to be fair to Cllr Powell that never stopped her doing her duty.

Glenysp, have you ever actually attended any parish meetings yourself? just out of curiosity, as I have on a few occasions.

I am not entirely surprised by these comments. I seem to have touched a nerve!

First, my comments are not sarcastic nor trying to put words in anyone's mouth. It is a valid question. Do we need parish councils? What purpose do they serve? How could that question be deemed an unfair attack on anybody? I have attended parish council meetings and the question still stands. I can't say I was aware of much being actually done although I recognise that the footpaths, which I think are great, were instigated by the parish council.

Secondly, I do not hide behind a false name. Quite the opposite. I use on a daily basis the name I am known by which I accept is not the name on the electoral register which is the name I was given at birth. Nothing unusual or sinister in that.

Finally, I again fail to see how a simple question of a candidate can be deemed offensive. If this is the contempt with which the public are treated by a candidate, then yes, my vote is clear.

What I do not understand in the 6 months you did not attend Belmont Parish Council, you were able to attend Hereford Council Meetings and be out and about on your ward.

Was it fare on the residents not to have you to represent them at the parish council meetings?

Also if I remember correctly it was your comment "I am no longer your Parish Councillor" where you implied you were wrongly treaded, which created sympathy on your website, which lead to the election.

I would have been very happy if you did not stand this time, got yourself better and next May stand for election, you would have had my support. I just worry you may not attend meetings and get thrown out again.

I write in answer to Glenysp - do not attempt to put words in my mouth, you will not succeed. Parish councils have their place, but as I said can only put forward the council / councilors views to Herefordshire Council it is up to the local authority whether to act upon a parish council's recommendations or not. May I suggest that you attend Belmont Parish council meetings then you would see the procedure.

In regard to the election, there is only one vacancy you have three candidate's to choose from so two will be disappointed. It is my understanding that the election was called by thirteen parishioners who wish for an election, because they did not want someone to be co-opted onto the parish council. I might add that I did infact attend a meeting of the South Wye Regeneration Board in my representative role for the parish council on 10th March 2010 before the six months were up. Again it is obvious that you will not be voting for me or anyone else because your name is not on the electoral role, or at least the name you are using here! You and others have made very sarcastic remarks toward me on the other website, may I suggest you read the rules & guidelines of this site because you will not be allowed to do it on Belmont Voice. it is so easy is it not to hide behind an assumed name, I have more respect for someone who has the courage to use their own name, and meet me face to face to air their views of me when I am stood in front of them.

Cllr Glenda Powell.

No body made sarcastic remarks to you on the other website ,they were just asking the questions every one was wondering.How could you attend the Hereford council meetings and not the Parish council meetings over 6 Months?.And if you get re elected will you attend the parish council meetings?.

Who actually closed the Belmont Rural Website, I think the evidence is clear to every one.I just wonder how long this website will stay open?.

I just wonder how long this website will stay open?.

Well considering this is an independent site representing no particular persons, just a vehicle to be the voice for the residents of the Belmont Ward.

The site has been registered for 2 years initially and providing it is used by our members it will stay active and updated indefinitely.

I agree to lpusseycat because Ms Powell did not attend the Parish Meetings and only District thus she was always well enough to do the paid bit but not the volunteer part as Parish Councillor??? Perhaps is would have been prudent to wait till she was 100% fit and go for the full term in 2011.

Belmont- just for clarification I was in hospital and then in recovery,under the care of my GP, I did not attend either Hereford city or District council meetings. lpussecat doesn't know what she is talking about!

Belmont- just for clarification I was in hospital and then in recovery,under the care of my GP, I did not attend either Hereford city or District council meetings. lpussecat doesn't know what she is talking about!

Yes I do know what i'm talking about,I looked on the council website and according to that you attended council meetings in November 2009,feb 2010,march 2010 unless your name isn't Councillor G A Powell.It's there in black and white.

I agree with Belmont and lpusseycat as can be seen from this link for all to see the truth.
From the Councils website:-

http://councillors.herefordshire.gov.uk/ieListMeetings.aspx?CId=291&Year=2010&J=1&zTS=undefined

Councillor GA Powell attended the following meetings

Friday 13 November 2009 10.30 am,
Friday 12 June 2009 10.30 am
Friday 22 May 2009 10.30 am
Friday 6 March 2009 10.30 am
Friday 5 February 2010 10.30 am
Friday 5 March 2010 10.30 am
Friday 28 May 2010 10.30 am

Please check for yourself who is telling the truth or is Herefordshire Councils website wrong, as you can see she only had to attend one Belmont Parish Council meeting but she did'nt.

I feel that Belmont is actually saying some very true words, and how many have read the councils website and in silence agree with Belmont and lpusseycat, like I do.

I personally feel that Cllr Powell was not interested in Belmont as can be seen on this site under Belmont Ponds

“The PUBLIC WILL DESIDE†Yes Glenda they did.

I made the effort to attend Eastholme Community Centre for the count, it appears way out in front was a battle between Dawn Killeen, and Adrian Bridges, only five votes between them but way down bottom was Cllr Powell with only 30 votes.

Yes the public thought before they voted two things: -

1. Who closed Belmont Rural website?

2. Who’s website instigated the election?

Writely or wrongly they made their decision.

When/where can I get the results of the election?

Glenysp see below

The PUBLIC WILL DECIDE Yes Glenda they did.

I made the effort to attend Eastholme Community Centre for the count, it appears way out in front was a battle between Dawn Killeen, and Adrian Bridges, only five votes between them but way down bottom was Cllr Powell with only 30 votes.

2. Who's website instigated the election?

Glenysp see below

The PUBLIC WILL DECIDE Yes Glenda they did.

2. Who's website instigated the election?

Yes the public made their decision, and I accept that,there are no hard feelings on my part toward anyone.I would like to take this opportunity to thank the people who voted for me.
I congratulate Dawn on her appointment, let us see what she brings to the table!
it is a pity that only 5.2% of the public actually turn out to vote because as the electoral office advised me the parish council made the decision not to send out polling cards,so many people did not know where to vote, and according to another post on this website many people did not know there was an election.the electoral office also advised me that the enthusiasm was not there from the begining as the other two candidates left it to five minutes before the deadline to serve their nomination papers.
For clarification and answer to your questions:-

1. The website manager closed Belmont Rural email facility, He had said on his website in an email He felt Belmont Voice was in competition to him both Admin and I advised him that was not true.
2. Belmont Voice did not instigate the election, 13 people who sign the form has since advised me that they did that because they did not want the parish council to co-opt someone of their choosing to the position.

it is time now for everyone to move on, and put all this behind them as I have done, I have other important matters in hand that need my attention concerning the Belmont Ward.