Shop on Belmont Road/ Hereford Times

locallady

As someone who occasionally buys things from the corner shop on Belmont Road/Avenue. I was shocked to see the photo and report online this morning. The staff there are always polite and friendly. The customers are not all boozers. I often see older people who don't want to walk as far as Asda.  I really think the Hereford Times should get their act together when publishing photographs of the wrong place (not the first time) The people who run this shop deserve a proper apology.

Also, the real shop in question was previously a newsagents before Asda opened, then selling washing machines etc. I have seen no planning applications for change of use to allow selling food etc. . If the licensing people object, why has no change of use been approved.

This story caused confusion as the HT wrongly linked a photo of a nearby [unconnected] shop to their story. The booze application is for the old electrical appliance shop which is bang next door to the Asda entry road. A small number of comments got added to the story [including one from me] and one pointed out the exact picture error. There was also a hint, in a comment, that the HT could be guilty of defaming the wrongly pictured shop. The story then got edited to show a 'stock' google image of the proper premises. Subsequent to that all the comments were erased and the comment facility closed. So the 'freedom of speech', for that story on that site, is closed to anyone who has a view on the subject! Probably to minimise damage to the people responsible for the fiasco!  

2 hours ago, locallady said:

As someone who occasionally buys things from the corner shop on Belmont Road/Avenue. I was shocked to see the photo and report online this morning. The staff there are always polite and friendly. The customers are not all boozers. I often see older people who don't want to walk as far as Asda.  I really think the Hereford Times should get their act together when publishing photographs of the wrong place (not the first time) The people who run this shop deserve a proper apology.

Also, the real shop in question was previously a newsagents before Asda opened, then selling washing machines etc. I have seen no planning applications for change of use to allow selling food etc. . If the licensing people object, why has no change of use been approved.

I think that you maybe confused with the shop in question, this is the EMPTY shop formally Appliance shop and years ago it was Quinsey's. The new tenants are opening a store called Istanbul but they are the same people from our understanding that run Bedronka in Eign Gate and have been previously prosecuted for selling illegal tobacco.

On 19/06/2019 at 22:46, Frank Smith said:

I think that you maybe confused with the shop in question, this is the EMPTY shop formally Appliance shop and years ago it was Quinsey's. The new tenants are opening a store called Istanbul but they are the same people from our understanding that run Bedronka in Eign Gate and have been previously prosecuted for selling illegal tobacco.

I don't believe you read my comment in full. I was clear about the shop in question. No offense, I do not believe in online disagreements.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else getting upset with these organised gangs. Fronting new people and changing businesses like a revolving door? 

The sign annoys the hell out of me. I said when I saw it being kitted out. The location isn’t profitable and it must be another shell company/gang front. And if we look at past history of shops of this ilk in Hereford. We can see from the names it’s an over represented demographic.