Jesse Norman assembles his troops...

WirralPC

the inference from your statement is that the conservatives are all white middle class folk.

firstly, ill point out that you have no comparison about the county/ross on wye demographic to draw that inference from, nor pictures of other "rainbows of ethnicity" from other candidates teams to contrast Jesse's group with. this is just an unsupported jab at a person whom you dont like. if you dont want jesse elected, post support of another candidate. political mud-slinging is childish.

secondly, its a sad fact about politics in the whole county, its overwhelmingly white-middle-class and over 40s. i went to a hustings at john kyrle and 85% plus of the audience were just that. my wife and i were 2 of 5-6 under 35s. only one non-caucasian couple there from what i remember.

this is a seminal issue in politics, posting information and opinions based on unrepresentative data or without contrast. something i will every effort not to do during and after the elections

Seb

I examined the picture as closely as I could and found a lot of what I believe the police refer to as IC1 males and females.

I didn't find any people whose origins might have been. . .

African

Afro-Caribbean

Arabic

Jewish

Japanese

Chinese

South East Asian

Indian

Bangladeshi

South American

Mediterranian

Middle Eastern . . .

. . . all of which are part of our national "Rainbow of Ethnicity"

Whichever meeting you attended, it sure as heck wasn't the one in the picture.

Jesse Norman is a tremendous constituency MP with, for me, just one insurmountable personality defect: he's a Conservative. Yes, I have told him that to his face, too. He laughed and told me I was not the first to say so.

aylestone voice - thanks for the comparison

Clarkester - i never said they didnt do it! :) i just said its childish.

psychologically speaking, humans are wired for A) the win and B) Re-enforcement of already held patterns of belief. so politicians scoring points makes them feel better about their position and makes us like them more (if we already did). it also distracts from evaluating the arguments presented. im not a fan of "banter" (or as its know in logical arguement, attacking the person not the arguement) but it has its place, in pub and social settings. freedom of speech is a wonderful privilege, i just think its entirely unprofessional to engage in personal attacks when the future of voters is at stake. if you wouldnt write it in an email, you shouldnt be saying it. if i were to make it into the council, or any other political institution i would be calling people for attcking people, not issues.

sorry if i put a bummer on the thread!

I examined the picture as closely as I could and found a lot of what I believe the police refer to as IC1 males and females.

I didn't find any people whose origins might have been. . .

African

Afro-Caribbean

Arabic

Jewish

Japanese

Chinese

South East Asian

Indian

Bangladeshi

South American

Mediterranian

Middle Eastern . . .

. . . all of which are part of our national "Rainbow of Ethnicity"

Whichever meeting you attended, it sure as heck wasn't the one in the picture.

Jesse Norman is a tremendous constituency MP with, for me, just one insurmountable personality defect: he's a Conservative. Yes, I have told him that to his face, too. He laughed and told me I was not the first to say so.

i like jesse a lot, and whatever his politics, you cant say he isnt a nice guy to be around!

im actually in that picture, the meeting was in the evening.

my point was not that we are not a diverse society, having lived in Reading, Wales, Huddersfield and numerous Herefordshire locales i can tell you we are a diverse country, but that Hereford is one of the most homogeneously white areas i have ever been. Speaking as a social psychologist, the number of people in the photo (the group was approximately 50 people) is a sample i wouldnt use in any experiement. Bearing in mind this is a snapshot of volunteers available at that time that could make it to ross on wye (i.e. likely removes people without their own travel, a young family or part time work) i would say its actually a rather representative sample of the county, if not the country.

being the sad person i am i looked up the council stats. the county is 97% white, so if theres 50 people, each person in a representative sample would be 2%, so there should be 1-2 people there who are not white british. (there is one gent who i think fits that description) there were also a couple of ladies with accents i could not place (possibly greek/czech/polish) as im terrible at that!

so suprisingly, that photo is almost spot on the herefordshire ethnicity demographic, well done Jesse for assemblng such a representative task force.

im not getting any votes here am i ?

"Jesse Norman is a tremendous constituency MP with, for me, just one insurmountable personality defect: he's a Conservative. Yes, I have told him that to his face, too. He laughed and told me I was not the first to say so." 

Yes I've had that thought.  I guess people ally themselves along cultural fault lines and it would probably be social suicide for him to be anything other than Conservative. 

• rep_up.png
  •  
  • rep_down.png
  •  

The pic has been taken (without credit) from Jesse Normans Twitter feed ... 3 days old as well ... I'm sure he hasn't excluded anyone from the pic on ethnicity grounds ... But it probably is fairly representative of his support. I don't think there is a vast swathe of ethnic minority Tory Supporters in his constituency anyway.I think you were making an unfair point. 

The pic has been taken (without credit) from Jesse Normans Twitter feed ... 3 days old as well ... I'm sure he hasn't excluded anyone from the pic on ethnicity grounds ... But it probably is fairly representative of his support. I don't think there is a vast swathe of ethnic minority Tory Supporters in his constituency anyway.I think you were making an unfair point. 

Unfair, possibly.  But a far greater unfairness arises when you browse to www.theyworkforyou.com and check out Mr Norman's voting patterns.  He appears to be party to and often strongly in favour of decisions that have:

o vastly reduced central government funding to council areas where much larger numbers of ethnic minority persons happen to be in residence

o reduced only slightly, or left the same, or increased central government funding to council areas where there are very few ethnic minority persons in residence

I could find a lot more if I had the time or the inclination, but just to underline the fact that his unforgiving, austerity driven tory 'values' and voting patterns, whipped or otherwise, have a detrimental effect on the lives of people who live way beyond the borders of his tiny, unrepresentative of the wider UK, 97% white Herefordshire South constituency.

Unfairness comes in varying degrees.  Discriminating between e.g. north and south, black and white, rich and poor in order to benefit your own voters and your own electoral chances is to be quite frank, disgustingly unfair.

And nicking somebody's piccie on the net pales into insignificance frankly.

Jesse was parachuted into this area as it was a 'Marginal' .... Spent some time 'banking' .... Old news really. I don't think he has to get out of bed to win his seat again as the Lib Dem support will have collapsed over the tuition fee stuff ... But he has mustered the troops anyway ... 

. . . the Lib Dem support will have collapsed over the tuition fee stuff . . .

It's a shame that people only remember what the LibDems failed to achieve with the tuition fees but forget that they held their ground over the massive increase in personal allowances, taking countless earners and incapacity benefit claimants out of the tax bands. They had to relent on the former to get the latter.

Whilst on long term incapacity benefit I had to pay £600+ per year in tax, because of a small private health income policy I had taken out many years ago. Thanks to the LibDems, that tax bill eventually became zero. Those complaining about the tuition fee compromise should thank them for the fact they they will pay many thousands of pounds less tax when they start work, which more than covers the cost of tuition fees.

I am no LibDem fan, as I cannot support the inexorable progress towards a federal United States of Europe. The local candidate did not inspire confidence either. She did not strike me as MP material. After the fiasco of Sarah Carr's (?) television appearance from the Courtyard in the last election, I would have expected a much stronger candidate to be fielded in Hereford.

If only Jesse weren't a Tory. Oh well, perhaps counselling might help.