Park Free This Xmas In Hereford

Colin James

Shoppers and visitors will be able to park for free in city centre car parks this Christmas as part of an ongoing campaign to promote Hereford as a Christmas shopping destination.

On behalf of the Hereford Business Improvement District (BID)

Shoppers and visitors will be able to park for free in city centre car parks this Christmas as part of an ongoing campaign to promote Hereford as a Christmas shopping destination.

Herefordshire Council car parks in the city centre plus the new car park at Old Market Hereford will be free for shoppers after 4pm for late night Christmas shopping evenings on the 19 and 26 November and 3, 10 and 17 December. Shops open late include the Maylord Centre, Old Market and FIT Hereford on Widemarsh Street.

This is the first time since Old Market Hereford opened in spring of this year that free parking has been offered across city centre car parks.

John Jones, Chairman of Hereford Business Improvement District, the group set up to promote trade in Hereford city centre, said: “Offering free parking on late night shopping evenings this Christmas supports the message that Hereford is now a destination for shoppers and visitors from Herefordshire and beyond to enjoy our great range of shops, cafes and restaurants. We have a fantastic selection of shops across our historic centre and through to the Old Market development so visitors can enjoy a spot of Christmas shopping followed by a delicious meal in one of the restaurants or pubs or even a night out at the cinema.”

These concessions do not apply to any of the private car parks in the city except the car park at Old Market Hereford.

free parking for late night Xmas shopping and lights switch on was hard fought for and will hopefully encourage folks to spend their money in the city the 19th and 26th were just agreed after I put pressure on for every Wednesday in the run up to Xmas,

Hereford city council have paid for the lights and the event to be put on originally in conjunction with the old market switch on it seems a shame they changed there date for there switch on without speaking to us "one city" and all that.

Parking should be free after 6pm throughout Hereford for the whole year and not just a few days over the festive period. The council are very short sighted if this is the best that they can come up with. :Cha ching:  :Cha ching:  :Cha ching:

Great efforts from Jim Kenyon as usual, so much appreciation there.  :Thumbs-Up:

Well done Jim for highlighting this.

I'm quite astonished that in this, the first years Christmas trading, The OLM have caused this divide between the old and the new.

It kind of speaks volumes.

So much for bringing the Hereford shopping experience together..........

I shall vote with my feet, and opt for High Town!