Catch And Release before its to late and all the fish have gone.

bobby47

And now, some ten years after it first began, they've finally said the unsayable, our rivers and lakes are being stripped of the fish. Oddly enough, they ain't saying that its the work of The Fifteen and they ain't implying that the British are to blame, which, given my hostility to this European Union is a load of worry off as far as Im concerned.

Mind, they didn't mention the industrial scale slaughter of the Swans, the duck species and anything else that crawls, walks and scurries about upon this great and wonderful green island of hope and dreams. If they catch it, they'll eat it and there's little that can be done to stop it.

Why would anyone wish to catch and eat a barbel? The Chubb, the carp and all the other varieties of Course Fish don't escape the cooking pot either. The Pike for example. A thoroughly nasty predator if anything I say is worth a blind bit if notice. This particular creature of God is seen as the most tasty and in some areas that once lay beyond that Berlin Wall that was torn down, the Pike is a delicacy.

Why did the ever start eating the fish in the first place? Because they were starving. Any money that their state ever earned was invested in a missile that was aimed at me. Now, these areas that once lay beyond that wall have few fish in the rivers and lakes. They've all been eaten and unless something dramatic happens, the same fate awaits us.

Can you stop it? No you bloody can't. It's much to late. No matter how many times you tell them to stop killing the fish, no matter how many family bar b q's you interrupt on the Wye that sees hordes nibbling away upon the flesh of these poor creatures, they completely ignore you, carry on and laugh at the futility of your personal protest. And they're right, it is pointless.

We, at the Hereford District Anglers Association, have all had to have photographs affixed to our permits. Why? Because the Bailiffs discovered that one licence was being shared by dozens of them who all came down to the river to catch their supper. It's been going on for years.

The local supermarkets now sell Coarse fish because the desire to eat these fish is so high and profitable. Does it help? A little perhaps, but why pay for something when its free from our rivers and lakes.

The shops! The ones who sell the illicit booze to The Fifteen. They sell Barbel as well. The Bailiffs have found them in the freezers and been told, 'they were caught in our Country'. Despite the fact that they've no bloody fish left swimming in their Country, nothing can be done to stop this relentless onslaught upon our wonderful way of life that is 'Catch And Release'.

And this stuff Im shovelling out. It's no urban myth. It's no piece of tittle tattle that's spread, takes on a life of its own and becomes distorted and out of control. It happens every single day of the week. You sit there, they catch a fish, they drag it onto the bank, hit it and kill it, into a carrier bag and away they go to eat their supper.

Course, sometimes they like to eat something different. They arrive with an odd looking stick with a wire noose on it. Then, they start throwing bits of bread onto the water gently encouraging the bird to paddle ever closer to its fate that is, the cooking pot and their stomach. There is no end to it. Nothing you can say changes any of it. It's become a pointless excercise. Better to sit there, mind your own business and simply accept its a cultural thing and they're bloody hungry.

Sadly, I've seen the British kids doing it and when you challenge them they tell you, 'we are going to sell it to the fruit pickers. They love it'. The whole thing is out if control and its taken near on ten years to get the authorities to become brave enough to say, 'we have a problem'.

I don't know much about fishing!

However, there was a fairly in depth report on this very issue on the news last night - and it's serious stuff. If this was foxes, or badgers, folks would be up in arms about it. The effect that this illegal activity is having on our lakes and rivers, cannot be condoned, and needs to be dealt with pretty swiftly.

I would suggest that only a chunky fine may have any effect. Hit the offenders in the pocket. I would also suggest, that if children are caught, their parents are fined - it might make them a little more responsible for their off springs behaviour.

As this is my first post, go gentle.   I must admit that I have tried some coarse fish, mostly as a young lad, which I made my long suffering mother cook for me.  Chub was like eating cotton wool with needles in it. I did enjoy a pike once, but didn't bother again because of all the little 'Y'  shaped bones.  Carp was like muddy cotton wool.   I now restrict myself, and family, to fresh sea fish or frozen fish fingers. Different cultures mean different tastes and maybe it's up to us to "educate" the immigrants that we do not allow it here. That said, they will probably do what they want to do, screaming that it's their human rite and how dare we tell them how to live and please get out of this Delicatessen as it's for our own people only.

Welcome Slim.

For my 50th birthday Mrs Ubique took me to Prague for a holiday - beautiful city . Stopped at a very nice hotel near to Charles Bridge. We invited a Czech male friend to join us for Dinner . On the menu was Carp , I am not a big fish (portions) eater but had to try the local treat . Never again , as described earlier it was just like eating watery mud . The Carp is a real treat to The Czech people hence the reason our friend ordered the same .

As an aside , on , I think Midland News the other night saw Water Bailiffs wearing stab proof vests - sign of the times ?

You are probably right Ubique, sign of the times, but all anglers carry knives so better safe than sorry. I'm not really aux fait with the relevant law but would surmise as you have to have a licence to fish, not having one would be a criminal offence. Poaching maybe?

Dippy

I have been an avid reader of this site for some months now and have had opinions on some of the topics. I have become a member to air my views.  I am not a native Herefordian, but settled here after meeting my wife (Ross-on-Wye) and finishing in the Royal and Merchant Navy (some 22 years). I now work in Ledbury and despair at some of the appalling decisions made by the council. I hope that I can hold my head up here with you "seasoned" campaigners. 

You are probably right Ubique, sign of the times, but all anglers carry knives so better safe than sorry. I'm not really aux fait with the relevant law but would surmise as you have to have a licence to fish, not having one would be a criminal offence. Poaching maybe?

+ 1 to dippy's welcome.

Isn't the Environment Agency that issue the licences and police the system.  I would think that they are as short staffed and under resourced as most of the public sector - covering flood issues, pollution, discharge consents etc and up to now the fishing licences would have been regarded as a low key admin job - not a major enforcement one.

As Bobby says, the situation is way beyond the local river man strolling along just checking the licence of the rare person that he hasn't seen many times before.  And its a sustainability issue - the river can't sustain intensive fishing for food - its the reason we have the rules.   The food processors and fruit growers that bring in their summer labour from Europe to boost their profits should have some responsibility - it seems like the river is providing the food that the meagre wages don't.   Those businesses would be very upset if Bobby and his angling mates were to stroll through the polytunnels chopping down strawberry plants because it was their culture to do so.

The `nuclear option' would, of course, be to have some large men from Credenhill making their way quietly down the river in a dinghy leaping out and confiscating the equipment of non-licensed fishermen.

Hey Bobby, how's about you and me taking a trip to Saudi and getting smashed on whatever we can get in the duty free at Heathrow. We can tell the Saudi Authorities that, "It's our culture", then they would say, "You naughty boys, we're going to send you home - minus your hands and providing of course, that you survive the stoning"

Yes, culture is a wonderful and diverse thing, but it is most definitely not an excuse for ignoring the 'Laws of the Land'.

Dippy

I have been an avid reader of this site for some months now and have had opinions on some of the topics. I have become a member to air my views. I am not a native Herefordian, but settled here after meeting my wife (Ross-on-Wye) and finishing in the Royal and Merchant Navy (some 22 years). I now work in Ledbury and despair at some of the appalling decisions made by the council. I hope that I can hold my head up here with you "seasoned" campaigners.

Evening Slim!

I'm sure you'll do just fine on here.......I have been on a recruitment drive for new posters, so am delighted that you have opinions you are keen to share!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Ain't it great to hear new views. Thank you all so much for bothering. It's so very important that you join in and push 'us' all to think a little more about the things that affect us. Have no doubts, the hirearchy do read these threads and there are many influential people who read and contribute to these pages which means, in a roundabout way, you do get heard and it does have an impact, albeit, you'll never notice because no bloody body takes any notice of anything we say anyway.

Mind, it hasn't stopped us going on and on about buggar all and with luck and good fortune, it won't stop you. And if, for some reason you overstep the mark and the Council pursue you through the Courts, we are behind you. Miles behind you to be exact and it'll be heartening for you to know that despite our annonimity and our reluctance to show any courage at all, step forward and support you, we're behind you every step of the way.

If you think Jarvis, Johnson and the other members of the ruling elite are stinkers, rotters and the type of folk you'd hate to make love to then you've come to the right place. This is home. This is where you belong.

Bobby, I'm afraid our trip to Saudi is off. I've had a missive from Sheik Musthafa Crappe, the cultural attaché at the Saudi Embassy saying that I can visit his country, but I'm afraid, you are banned, He says that , 'infidel dogs who consume the flesh of the pig', (pork scratchings), shall be 'infested of the fleas of a thousand camels', and never be allowed to leave his country. He goes on to say that his security forces have been monitoring posts on this site, and anyone who 'goes dogging with a quiver tip' shall never be allowed to enter the Kingdom, and that if he does, then he shall be incarcerated within the darkest dungeon in the realm for the rest of eternity.

I have spoken with Mrs Bobby about this, and she says she has got your passport ready, and asks when can I pick you up.

As we are not going to Saudi, (despite what Mrs. Bobby wants), I have access to a stretch of water at Hoarwithy, where, as last week proved, by 'trotting' a lump of meat along the bank, you can connect with a 5 lb. barbell, which, as I'm sure Bobby knows, on light tackle, provides a lot of sport. The operative word there is sport. This is why we take up the hobby, not to feed ourselves, but for the enjoyment. Some like to shout at T.V. screens in the pub when footballers are playing, that is their choice, but me, I like to sit in quiet solitude on the banks of one of the most beautiful rivers in the country, and 'pit my wits' against the natural phenomenon found therein. When the fish are gone, then that is the end of the relaxing pastime of hundreds of thousands of anglers within the British Isles. Catch and release is the only way to ensure that our chosen pastime is secured for the future.

Are the police doing anything????

As I thought all swans belonged to Her Majesty?…& if you so much as dared lay a little finger upon there swanage, it would be off to the tower for a little interrogation by the beefyeaters while the ravens pecked out your eyes?