Metal Garden Gates Stolen In Herefordshire

Colin James

Garden Gates Stolen From Herefordshire Homes

West Mercia Police are investigating a series of metal gate thefts from properties in Herefordshire.

A total of 12 metal gates were stolen from properties in Hereford City and the village of Lugwardine between Wednesday 22 January and Friday 31 January.

Thieves stole three metal gates from properties in Lugwardine, Herefordshire, overnight on Wednesday 22 January.

A Victorian wrought iron garden gate valued at £300 was taken from one property between 11pm and 23 January and 12.30am on Thursday 23 January while a cast iron gate valued at £100 was taken from another property in the village at around the same time.

Sometime between 11pm on the Wednesday and 10am the following day, a third property in Lugwardine was targeted and a white coloured wrought iron gate, valued at £400, was stolen.

Four metal gates were also stolen from properties in Whitecross Road, Hereford between 2.30pm on Tuesday 28 January and 11am on Wednesday 29 January.

Two gates were taken from properties in Edgar Street, Hereford, from 6pm on Monday 27 January and 6am of Wednesday 29 January.

Another two metal gates were stolen from Barr’s Court Road homes sometime between 6.30pm on Thursday 30 January and 11am on Friday 31 January, while a further gate was taken from a property in Grandstand Road between 6pm on Sunday 26 January and 9am on Monday 27 January. The gates in Hereford are valued from £30 to £200 each.

Sergeant Emma Freer from Police in Herefordshire said: “The thefts in Lugwardine all happened on the same night in the same area and we urge anyone who heard anything or saw any suspicious behaviour or an unfamiliar vehicle to contact us.

“The gate thefts in Hereford all happened within a week and we are linking these crimes.

“Any information that could help us to locate the stolen gates and track down those responsible can be passed on by calling the non emergency number 101 and asking for police in Herefordshire.”

Alternatively information can be passed on anonymously by calling the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or completing its online form by logging on to www.crimestoppers-uk.org

The Press release does gives the dates of the thefts .

It happens quite often with the West Mercia Police Press Office, staffed , I'm sure by Support Staff who may not know the relevance of getting this sort of crime into the public domain.

If I am wrong I am.

The Press release does gives the dates of the thefts .

It happens quite often with the West Mercia Police Press Office, staffed , I'm sure by Support Staff who may not know the relevance of getting this sort of crime into the public domain.

If I am wrong I am.

I think it's more to do with the fact that people ring in these thefts and there is a mad rush to generate a crime report by whoever is in front of a terminal at the call centre ~ and the person who generates the report probably never even took the original call. Probably support staff doing all of that. The report then swills around the computer system until it lands in somebody's lap days, or maybe weeks, later. ... Some poor regular Officer who turns up for work finding some new case has landed on his/her desk [with several cobwebs on] is probably a daily event! 

These press appeals sometimes get generated by the investigator who may have only had the complaint in their own domain for a very short space of time. But the moan has been on the Corporate

system for ages. 

Roger , in this day and age what you are saying ( with some inside knowledge I think ) is not very efficient . Having said that I see that there are some well paid jobs on the West Mercia Police website which might improve the system. There is also a very well paid job working for the PCC

Roger , in this day and age what you are saying ( with some inside knowledge I think ) is not very efficient . Having said that I see that there are some well paid jobs on the West Mercia Police website which might improve the system. There is also a very well paid job working for the PCC

The money has run out .... unless you want to run a trendy pop up shop! :-)