New Tram/Light Rail in Hereford

Mick

I have just read this article: It is a pity that there is mention of Colin or Hereford Voice within any of this publication.

HEREFORDSHIRE Council leaders say they will consider proposals for ultra-light rail to reduce congestion in the city

The Herefordshire Sustainable Transport Group has submitted evidence to the Department for Transport answering its call for submissions on opportunities to introduce new light rail systems into towns and cities in England.

The group says it was encouraged by Hereford MP Jesse Norman, who they say has been instrumental in preparing and instigating the call for evidence.

Chairman Carole Protherough said: “HSTG has paid close attention to important land use changes in the city, the need for regeneration especially of the urban core and the availability of potential ultra-light rail routes already in public ownership.

“Working with representatives from the light rail industry and environmentalists the HSTG response is a significant step forward in future transport planning for the city.”

Council infrastructure cabinet member John Harrington said they would explore the options for ultra-light rail in Hereford.

“The council is determined to respond to and work within the principles of the climate emergency declaration that was unanimously supported by all parties early this year.

“It is important that we have the city’s case for ultra-light rail properly examined.

“The solution to reducing congestion and promoting access and movement around Hereford through sustainable modes of transport will be multifaceted, and ultra-light rail will be considered as part of that approach.”

Coun Harrington also thanked Herefordshire’s voluntary transport organisations for contributing to the development of the county’s transport plans.

Mr Norman said he was pleased to be able to publish the call for evidence on light rail when he was a transport minister..

“There is a real potential opportunity not just for the county but for the country as a whole, through the creation of a new light rail industry.”

• Thanks 1

Hi Colin and gang, the proposals put forward were not submitted by the Council but by the Hereford Sustainable Transport Group to the DfT and were in a response to the government's 'call for evidence'. This group put forward a detailed plan after some discussions with Jesse Norman MP. The Council is happy to consider the results when they come back to the HSTG because like Colin I think we should look at the possibility of ultra-light rail. So it's not a Council project or pitch yet but we may become involved. I did in my statement thank all groups that had pushed for this - meaning Col and Hereford Voice as well as others. Hereford Voice has done a huge amount in raising the profile of this idea and can and will be definitely get credit if things progress. Thanks Col and gang for all your graft on this!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, John Harrington said:

Hi Colin and gang, the proposals put forward were not submitted by the Council but by the Hereford Sustainable Transport Group to the DfT and were in a response to the government's 'call for evidence'. This group put forward a detailed plan after some discussions with Jesse Norman MP. The Council is happy to consider the results when they come back to the HSTG because like Colin I think we should look at the possibility of ultra-light rail. So it's not a Council project or pitch yet but we may become involved. I did in my statement thank all groups that had pushed for this - meaning Col and Hereford Voice as well as others. Hereford Voice has done a huge amount in raising the profile of this idea and can and will be definitely get credit if things progress. Thanks Col and gang for all your graft on this!

Thank you John for the clarification. 

I am not looking for credit but keen to push our tram campaign forward and also our traffic lights out (or part time) idea. Good now that we have everyone onside and some of these ideas may come to fruition and at least be given a trial.

I saw this on the HT website and thought what a great idea.  I hope the Council does take this idea seriously as it could be an alternative way to reducing congestion and meeting the Council's climate change commitments.  I see such a system already works successfully in Stourbridge so if you haven't already checked that out to see this is a workable idea take a look at https://premetro.co.uk/stourbridge-shuttle.  There's also the potential for it to become a tourist attraction.