When Council 'free' isn't really free at all

twowheelsgood

A press release by the Council a couple of weeks ago was published by HT without challenging the apparent facts. It concerns Herefordshire's electric vehicle charging point network - the Council have handed over management of this to Chargemaster under the brand name of Polar. The Council say 'To continue its support of EV drivers in the county Herefordshire Council will continue to offer free electricity and free parking whilst recharging at all its charge points.' All well good you may think - what they don't say is that Chargemaster (not surprisingly with such an aggressive name) charge £8 a month for the privilege of accessing a charger or £1.20 a connection, when previously there was no cost. I'm told their chargers are not compatible with all electric cars and there are only 9 in the County anyway, 6 of which are in Hereford. Ok, so the electricity is still 'free' which actually means it's subsidised by the government (not the Council) to allow green boxes to be ticked, and for sure this won't last forever.  

It's a sad indictment when, to paraphrase, there are lies, damned lies and Council statements. Choose how you move, but read the small print first.

Typical of Hereford council, for example the new link road running through the football ground car park all the parking that will be lost, where is the lost revenue going to come from. Also there will be a big demise in the city for business because people will have nowhere to park Phil Edwards and Chris Chappell both supported the Link road which in practical terms is not going to solve any traffic issues.The fact of the matter is it will make it worse because of the amount of housing being built around it.This council and those before are no doubt educated beyond there intelligence they have no vision just fix it quick. How many more parking charges will we see by the end of the link road development a clear indication will be the forthcoming new foot ball season,They had gates at an average of 2,900 last season where are they going to park this season it will be mayhem on matchdays from a parking point of view.I see plenty of bending over backwards for developers by the council and no consideration for the people that live here.As we know land was given to developers for nothing at Newton Farm i suggest the same has happened with the Link road development .

Typical of Hereford council, for example the new link road running through the football ground car park all the parking that will be lost, where is the lost revenue going to come from. Also there will be a big demise in the city for business because people will have nowhere to park Phil Edwards and Chris Chappell both supported the Link road which in practical terms is not going to solve any traffic issues.The fact of the matter is it will make it worse because of the amount of housing being built around it.This council and those before are no doubt educated beyond there intelligence they have no vision just fix it quick. How many more parking charges will we see by the end of the link road development a clear indication will be the forthcoming new foot ball season,They had gates at an average of 2,900 last season where are they going to park this season it will be mayhem on matchdays from a parking point of view.I see plenty of bending over backwards for developers by the council and no consideration for the people that live here.As we know land was given to developers for nothing at Newton Farm i suggest the same has happened with the Link road development .

Iv'e said this before about Merton car park.It is never full.I park there mostly twice a week and last Thursday it was just over half full.

This road will obviously to me take traffic off other roads as people who want to say get to the bus/train station,Hospital,Morrisons etc will use it as a direct route.But it is doomed to faileur because it will have traffic lights along its length.This is the problem with our roads,the amount of traffic lights,way way to many.

Take the lights on Edgar St -Blackfriars St & the lights in Blackfriars St yesterday with traffic backing up way past Newmarket roundabout and traffic wanting to turn left into Blackfriars St half way down Edgar St.The Council and others must be aware of this.Why is nothing being done about this huge problem