Redevelopment Of High Town Fire Damaged Building

Colin James

Herefordshire Council met with representatives of the owners of the fire damaged buildings in High Town, Hereford on Thursday 1 October and is encouraged by their willingness to facilitate a sale to enable the site to be redeveloped.

The council can confirm that Hereford based architect Hook Mason Ltd has now been instructed to seek pre-application advice from the council’s planning service to obtain a more marketable development with the aim of selling the property and bringing the buildings back into use as soon as possible.

Fire.jpg

This has been going on far too long. The planning people need to take a realistic view when any paperwork comes in. I know it's listed as Grade II but if someone wants to flatten the whole lot and rebuild in a similar and sympathetic style Then I think they should go with it. That must be better than seeing that scaffolding for another 5 years .... 

Sorry Roger but if they want to flatten it for some godless sheds like the Old Market then I think I might prefer the scaffolding! Behind the facade there are some incredible timbered buildings - I think there is a room where the City burghers used to meet. A previous Council already pulled down the beautiful timbered Hereford Market Hall. They shoved the timbered building up a floor between New Look and M&S in the 60s/70s so please dont give Herefordshire Council any ideas about obliterating more of our history. 

Sorry Roger but if they want to flatten it for some godless sheds like the Old Market then I think I might prefer the scaffolding! Behind the facade there are some incredible timbered buildings - I think there is a room where the City burghers used to meet. A previous Council already pulled down the beautiful timbered Hereford Market Hall. They shoved the timbered building up a floor between New Look and M&S in the 60s/70s so please dont give Herefordshire Council any ideas about obliterating more of our history. 

From what I can see there is only the frontage left! The rest has been frazzled! I was born in Hereford so I don't need pulling up on any history angles .... If any significant piece of reclaimed stone can be incorporated into a mirror rebuild then that is my preferred option. 

I would knock the bloody lot down and put up a nice new building instead of trying to cling onto some old damp filled listed building the nobody wants the upkeep and expense of! 

Sounds about right, I myself would prefer it to be put back to how it was, anything different would look out of place.