The Ride Herefordshire and Professional Hitter Road Race Saturday 19th

Denise Lloyd

Very little has been said about this but there is a Fun Day at Peterchurch.  The races 91k and 161k in the morning and the hitter in the afternoon a total of six passes through the village of Peterchurch 8.15am to 530pm.

There will be a lot going on and all those cycling enthusiasts will no doubt enjoy watching professional cyclists at work.

I understand Bradley Wiggin came and inspected the roads and said that he would not ride on Herefordshire roads in their present state resulting in many of our roads being resurfaced.

I think there is a similar event in Leominster

NFTO back new cycling events coming to Herefordshire in September

National B-ranked Hitter Road Race and sportive to form part of the Herefordshire Festival of Sport

image: http://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/04/NFTO-630x421.jpg

NFTO-630x421.jpg

Steele von Hoff (left) and Eddie Dunbar show off NFTO's new kit in London

Hereford-based outdoor clothing manufacturer and cycling team sponsor NFTO are backing a new  National B-ranked road race and mass participation ride that will take place in the area later this year.

The Cotswold Hereford BMW Herefordshire Festival of Sport, which will take place over the weekend of September 19 and 20, has added a day of cycling events to run alongside its existing running activities for 2015.Its two-wheel programme (September 19) includes the Ride Herefordshire sportive that offers the choice of a Mini Sportive aimed at families, as well as 40km, 90km and 161km routes across the stunning Golden Valley region.

Parts of these courses will feature in the festival’s showcase event, the Hitter Road Race, a brand new E/1/2/3 event. Organised by the NFTO Race Club, it is hoped the race becomes a regular on the British Cycling calendar.

“Being part of both the local and national cycling scene, we are in a rare position to be able to attract a top sporting event to the county,†said NFTO founder John Wood. “It’s unheard of to have a local club organise a race of this scale and we’re extremely lucky to be working with a group of partners and people without whom it would not be possible

“With an unprecedented amount of prize money on board and with top 10 places receiving a reward, organisers believe the competition will be tight. Designed to attract the best domestic teams and possibly some big international riders, the race will certainly be ‘not for the ordinary’.â€

The sportive has been organised in partnership with Mind Herefordshire, the mental health charity, and Fit & Healthy, as part of a “Thumbs Up For Wellbeing†campaign.

For more information, visit www.herefordshirefestivalofsport.co.uk.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/nfto-back-new-cycling-events-coming-to-herefordshire-in-september-181508#daeUFU1lr5bOsa7O.99

While some of the roads may of been resurfaced the stretch which is being used between Clehonger and Madley would be more suited to a mountain bike than the bikes they will be using, but in all seriousness it's good for the county to have these sort of events and I hope it's a success, there is also a marathon and half marathon on Sunday which I thought about entering but then decided my running days (if there were any) are way behind me.