Care Quality Commission Public Listening Event Monday 21st September 2015

greenknight

I understand that in advance of their visit to Hereford Hospital (Wye Valley NHS Trust) which begins on the 22nd and runs through that week the CQC have organised this event at the Assembly Rooms, Hereford Town Hall from 6-8pm.

If you want to vent your support,frustrations or advice on how improvements can be made well here,s your chance.

I have challenged the reasons for why there is short notice to this event and apparently it's down to the Care Quality Commission to ensure publicity.

The hospital has placed fliers around its main site....well this sadly speaks volumes about Trust based confidence levels.

If the ship was in order they would have splashed the positivity message across all the local and national media.

I went to this meeting tonight which was an informal affair attended by a number of members from the Care Quality Commission.

It's fare to say that topics raised by members of the public tonight run on a similar thread to national concerns.Several family members involved with the campaign to save No.1 Ledbury Road caught the ears of CQC members and supporting statements were made by Glenda who was present as was Councillor Hayes.

The CQC inspection that starts tomorrow and covers all aspects of service within the Wye Valley NHS Trust which includes the Community Hospitals and supporting centres like No.1 Ledbury Road.It is my understanding that 60 people are involved with this inspection which reviews those areas of concern raised last time around.

The CQC will be looking at all aspects of care for which key phrases apply,is it safe,effective,caring,responsive,well-lead.

My five pence submission raised concerns about communication, staffing levels, the Emergency Department,equipment levels,funding levels and retention of services.

It was good to meet greenknight tonight as the CQC meeting. On our table we consentrated on the closure of 1 ledbury Road,where I supported the families there. I also mentioned Blackmarston School and their difficulties. I raised the question of hospital is to small, A & E, not enough beds, people being put on inappropriate wards for their conditions,Hillside, and the walk in centre with CQC team. I also asked to be sent a report on their findings which I was assured I would receive the report. It was a good evening and plenty of people there also three councillors.

I raised the question of hospital is to small

I think everyone from day 1 knew that. I got treated in some fancy portacabin last time I visited. The hospital has 208 beds and they do treat out of County patients as well. Clearly they will always be struggling with that capacity. And there is not much scope to expand. The remaining huts need to go but they are probably supplying more capacity than anything new that would be built instead. 

I think everyone from day 1 knew that. I got treated in some fancy portacabin last time I visited. The hospital has 208 beds and they do treat out of County patients as well. Clearly they will always be struggling with that capacity. And there is not much scope to expand. The remaining huts need to go but they are probably supplying more capacity than anything new that would be built instead.

Changes are afoot Roger...It's the timelines that are a bit fuzzy!

Roger, everyone in Hereford knew the hospital was to small when they closed the General Hospital,Eye Hospital and the then County Hospital. They then built the present hospital with a short fall of 384 beds.

Greenknight, Healthwatch Hereford is closely involved with the hospital, and when I was a councillor I was a member of the Health & Social Care scrutiny committee, both Richard Beeken and Healthwatch frequently attended the meetings to give the committee a report.

Roger, everyone in Hereford knew the hospital was to small when they closed the General Hospital,Eye Hospital and the then County Hospital. They then built the present hospital with a short fall of 384 beds.Greenknight, Healthwatch Hereford is closely involved with the hospital, and when I was a councillor I was a member of the Health & Social Care scrutiny committee, both Richard Beeken and Healthwatch frequently attended the meetings to give the committee a report.

So would you say that Hereford Health Watch is truly independent to the Trust or just toes the WVT line?

When I was ambassador for the Patients Association it was felt that the Health Watch set up would have no teeth!

health-watch is entirely independent of the health and council. Their chairman, Paul Deneen always gives a good account of himself and attacks when necessary. Will Lindsey runs it from HVOS in Bath Street. Health Watch come to the Health and Soccial Care Scrutiny meeting and at this mornings meeting Paul Deneen gave his by monthly report. I know they are doing a good job.

The councillors had an interesting session with CQC at lunch time yesterday. Many subjects were raised including the scandal of Bromyard being proposed for closure, and dreadful lack of communication internally at the hospital. I will look forward to receiving their report!

health-watch is entirely independent of the health and council. Their chairman, Paul Deneen always gives a good account of himself and attacks when necessary. Will Lindsey runs it from HVOS in Bath Street. Health Watch come to the Health and Soccial Care Scrutiny meeting and at this mornings meeting Paul Deneen gave his by monthly report. I know they are doing a good job.

The councillors had an interesting session with CQC at lunch time yesterday. Many subjects were raised including the scandal of Bromyard being proposed for closure, and dreadful lack of communication internally at the hospital. I will look forward to receiving their report!

Thanks Chris ...I think it might have been a good idea if they had made themselves known last night as I believe they had representation at the event.

I do not know why they did not let everyone know they were there. On the other hand, it made know difference as they would have been listening, and hearing, what the public said. Maybe if they had made themselves known, there might have been a different public slant on things which would not have been what the CQC wanted!

I know most of Healthwatch people from Social Care Scrutiny and their public events at the Kindle Centre. I did not recognise anyone from Healthwatch at the meeting last night.

Greenknight- the PM service on HV has been temporarily removed by Colin, he will probably reinstate it when he come back off holiday. Glenda.

I do not know why they did not let everyone know they were there. On the other hand, it made know difference as they would have been listening, and hearing, what the public said. Maybe if they had made themselves known, there might have been a different public slant on things which would not have been what the CQC wanted!

It was quite an informal event Chris, a series of tables with a CQC representative on each.

I don't think local people know a great deal about the Healthwatch organisation.