📣 News | The Old Wye Bridge Has Reopened Today

Hereford Voice

Herefordshire Council originally closed the bridge over a year ago as part of the Emergency Active Travel Plan in line with the governments advice to help combat the Covid-19 pandemic by creating more space for social distancing.

754677801_OldBridge.png.c4526ebb5411dff42345c4d392616e16.png

In line with government advice on the removal of many Covid-19 restrictions, Herefordshire Council began the process of removing some Emergency Active Travel Measures in July.

The initial elements that were removed in July were;

• Footway widening in High Street Bromyard, Broad Street and King Street Hereford.

• Temporary 20mph limits in Hereford and the Market Towns

• Highway Covid warning signage in Ross on Wye & Kington

• Friday closure of High Street Leominster

• Extension to closure time of Widemarsh Street

Elements that have been removed today include;

• Old Wye Bridge Closure Hereford

• Footway widening in Bridge Street Hereford

During the period of closure there has been a significant increase in cycling and pedestrians in this area.

Cllr John Harrington, Cabinet member for Infrastructure and Transport, said: I know these measures were not universally popular but I believe this period of restrictions has allowed us to see a different way of using our streets. I am committed to providing the best environment for both continued use of motor vehicles in the centre of Hereford whilst encouraging better walking and cycling routes and better use of our pavements for hospitality outlets.

3 hours ago, Hereford Voice said:

Herefordshire Council originally closed the bridge over a year ago as part of the Emergency Active Travel Plan in line with the governments advice to help combat the Covid-19 pandemic by creating more space for social distancing.

754677801_OldBridge.png.c4526ebb5411dff42345c4d392616e16.png

In line with government advice on the removal of many Covid-19 restrictions, Herefordshire Council began the process of removing some Emergency Active Travel Measures in July.

The initial elements that were removed in July were;

• Footway widening in High Street Bromyard, Broad Street and King Street Hereford.

• Temporary 20mph limits in Hereford and the Market Towns

• Highway Covid warning signage in Ross on Wye & Kington

• Friday closure of High Street Leominster

• Extension to closure time of Widemarsh Street

Elements that have been removed today include;

• Old Wye Bridge Closure Hereford

• Footway widening in Bridge Street Hereford

During the period of closure there has been a significant increase in cycling and pedestrians in this area.

Cllr John Harrington, Cabinet member for Infrastructure and Transport, said: I know these measures were not universally popular but I believe this period of restrictions has allowed us to see a different way of using our streets. I am committed to providing the best environment for both continued use of motor vehicles in the centre of Hereford whilst encouraging better walking and cycling routes and better use of our pavements for hospitality outlets.

All talk no action,sick of it like everyone else is John. Two & a half years and the Council have got nowhere with dealing with traffic situation.Instead they get hairbrained ideas like this.