Road Safety

Ubique

Re the RTC on Roman Rd the other evening.

A friend of ours was going home from work , three cars behind the converted van , van suddenly stops ( after hitting the pedestrian ) the two cars in front of our friends overtake the van - perhaps not knowing what happened , our friend quickly realised what had happened, stopped, hazard lights on.

Gets out of her car and realises that she was very exposed to passing traffic because she was dressed all in black .She did help at the scene but she would have felt safer wearing a high vis jacket or vest.
( In case anybody is thinking , yes she did give her name and address to the Police )

Cut a long story short she has now purchased two high viz coat quite cheaply to carry in her car for these types of emergencies.

I have carry two high vis vests in my car for me and my wife for a very long time, )

Really it's just Ubiques tip of the day, of course a number of members have already purchased the high viz jackets / vests

Apparently it's compulsory throughout most of Europe but not the UK

It's always a good idea to make yourself visible on the road, day and night. I carry three Hi-Vis padded jackets in the boot of my car in case of a breakdown, especially on a Motorway, when you may have to leave the car and wait outside. As regards the incident, said gentleman lived opposite us and we have had two visits from West Mercia's finest. He had issues, yes, but was known to the local community and even given meals. Tragic.

I’ve got a multitude of items I keep in my boot. Courtesy virgin blanket, courtesy Hilton towel, courtesy YFC wellies, courtesy various builders hiviz, courtesy BA shovel, courtesy hotel biscuits & sweets. Jump leads, torch and tools that I bought, and a flask of hot coffee!!

Always prepared