Stay safe this Bonfire Night

Colin James

Bonfire Banner.png

We want everyone to have an enjoyable and fun-filled Bonfire Night this year and are reminding people to stay safe and attend organised events where possible.

Fireworks are widely used for celebrations such as Bonfire Night and New Year and can provide a spectacular show. However they can be dangerous if used incorrectly and anyone buying or lighting fireworks should follow the Fireworks Code:

· Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114
· Don't drink alcohol if you are setting off fireworks
· Keep fireworks in a closed box
· Follow the instructions carefully on each firework
· Light at arms length, and always use a taper
· Stand well back
· Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it hasn't gone off, it could still explode
· Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them
· Always supervise children around fireworks
· Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
· Never give sparklers to a child under five
· Keep pets indoors

Fireworks and the law
We would also like to remind people to behave responsibly when using fireworks and ensure they know the law surrounding their use and purchase.

· It is an offence to sell fireworks to any person under the age of 18
· It is an offence for any person under the age of 18 to possess a firework.
· It is an offence to possess any excessively loud category 3 or 4 (display style) firework
· It is an offence to sell any firework (subject to certain exceptions) without a licence granted by the Fireworks Regulations 2004
· It is an offence for any person to use a firework between the hours of 11pm and 7am. Bonfire night is extended to 12 midnight.
· It is an offence to throw or fire a firework in or into any highway, street or public place.

· It is an offence to make a bonfire or discharge a firework in a street to the obstruction, annoyance or danger of residents or passersby

Breaking the law can result in a maximum penalty of £5000 and/or a prison sentence and police can also deal with offences with a Penalty Notice for Disorder (£80).

Make your 5th of November a night to remember and follow the steps above to stay safe.

Castle green for me. Much better than racecourse and a display by a championship winning fireworksmith- Julian gets my pennies.

Minime is taking her LED sparklers too. Me I’ll be happy with Old Rosie and Beefyboys!! Safety first.

Enjoy.

Julian is a good mate of mine Nitecore Fireworks, I assume we are talking about the same Julian?