EU Working Time Directive

greenknight

Well this is going to be a biggy and no doubt employers are already reviewing contracts of employment.

For some like myself who work from home and travel to meet people the EU has stated that work starts as soon as you leave the house and finishes I believe once you return home which for many runs well over a 48 hour week and therefore in breach of the working time directive.

I'm sure that megilleland will provide further info but this has major implications for employers and "people of the road".

All this stems from a ruling which came about because of an ongoing legal case involving a Spanish company called Tyco, which installs security systems and its closure of regional offices.

Exceptions (I like the one in bold below. Nice to keep the upstairs/downstairs tradition alive, no doubt for people to rich to look after themselves)

You may have to work more than 48 hours a week on average if you work in a job:

* where 24-hour staffing is required
* in the armed forces, emergency services or police
* in security and surveillance
* as a domestic servant in a private household
* as a seafarer, sea-fisherman or worker on vessels on inland waterways
* where working time is not measured and you’re in control, eg you’re a managing executive with control over your decisions