Police Officer: Sex on duty with crime victims: Allegations

Roger

A POLICE officer appeared in court this morning, Friday, charged with having sex with two vulnerable women victims of crime while on duty.

PC Ian Langford, aged 46, of Church View, Tewkesbury, appeared at Cheltenham Magistrates Court charged with misconduct in a public office by engaging in sexual activity with the women.

The alleged offences are said to have taken place in Hereford between May 2012 and August 2013 while the officer was on duty.

Pc Langford, who entered no pleas, spoke only to confirm his name and address.

He was granted bail on condition he does not contact the alleged victims.

The case was committed to Gloucester Crown Court on May 23.

Stroud News And Journal

Hereford again! Can't believe the amount of negative publicity Hereford cops are generating for themselves! 

Innocent until proved guilty, would be my take on it.

My take on it as well ... If I never posted it someone else would have. But damage has clearly been done. CPS has decided there is a realistic prospect of conviction. Which amounts to 'we are pretty sure he did it' ... 

• 1 month later...

The judge also asked if Langford had an exemplary record up until the offences but Mr Hunka Defending said he had not.

"He was docked 13 days pay over a similar incident which was not taken to court," said Mr Hunka.

Similar incident and he was not taken to Court - unbelievable !!

What is sad is that nearly every day one reads about a Police Officer in Court - that makes it very diffucult for the very high percentage of good honest Police Officers doing a diffucult job

What is sad is that nearly every day one reads about a Police Officer in Court - that makes it very diffucult for the very high percentage of good honest Police Officers doing a diffucult job

Vast majority are honest. I know as I was one for 30 years! In the older days these sex on duty incidents were common place. Times have changed tho and you just can't do it! And I'm not saying I'm condoning the fact that it did happen as I'm not!

I am surprised he hasn't deactivated his Twitter account tho ... It's quite publicly available and showed he got married 2 weeks ago ... Pics included ...  :tongue_32:

I will add tho that if he had sex with a gun around his ankles he may have kept his job ...

Gwent case

A POLICE officer appeared in court this morning, Friday, charged with having sex with two vulnerable women victims of crime while on duty.

Roger said that sex on duty was common place in older days - my question is - with vulnerable women ? - I am sure that Roger is aware of the definition of "vulnerable " in legal terms ! If that happened in his day he should not be able to hold his head high because if he knew that Police Officers were taking advantage of vulnerable women he was failing in his duty as a Police Officer by not reporting the facts to his Senior Officer.

Roger is just an irritating little man, a little crazy I hear.

Ian Langford was a good copper - and this is unfortunate for him.

If Roger knew of wrong doings - he should have reported them up the chain, I wonder if he did.

Once again, people do stupid things - and having sex on duty is not smart, but equally - not the biggest crime in the world.

There are much worse wrong doings going on every day in this world/county/town but they never get "done".

A good beat copper has sex on duty - not smart and maybe a crime in the world of the police, but having sex whilst at work, well, he wouldnt be the first and I doubt the last!

Ian Langford was a good copper - and this is unfortunate for him.

This topic is not about me. It's about a current Court case very local to this area. I think your comment that a Police Officer caught out having sex with 'vulnerable' women was 'unfortunate' is condoning the whole practice. Do it as long as you don't get caught is the message you are sending out.

Also both you and Ubique moaning and speculating that I tolerated and failed to report sex wrongdoings has evolved in your own vivid imaginations from a general overview of the 70's80's by me saying ...

In the older days these sex on duty incidents were common place. 

It was all portrayed in tv shows like The Sweeney ... I think you both need to get a grip and read posts' before you fire off comments' ! 

There were lots of things that were common place and over looked by those who could have stopped things from happening in the 70's and 80's.

People "looked the other way" or just thought it was the norm.

Not so much now for some of the "stars" of the day.

Funny how things change over time - what is acceptable and what is not.

There are levels of 'vulnerability' and I cant begin to know any details of this case ... But my gut feeling is that Ian Langford is the last person who needs to be in jail ... I hope the Judge does not get swayed by the 'Plebgate' ---> 'We'll blame someone else' so send someone down argument. I hope he does not get jailed. If he did I would not think that was proportionate. 

From the HT after the Judgevwas told that the Defendant was docked 13 days pay over a similar incident which was not taken to court," said Mr Hunka.

The Judge warned Langford not to expect anything other than a jail term.

Oh! and Roger I do read and understand comments - if I have anything to add to the post I will .

I do not critise other comments orPosters - however I do give my opinion of the subject .

There are now 4 times as many replies on the HT Facebook page about parking than this subject ... I suppose it reflects the fact that you are far more likely to get a parking ticket in Hereford than you are to get a copper at the door who wants to get you into bed .... 

• 4 weeks later...

Shamed former police officer weeps as he is jailed for having sex with woman while on duty

6240526_large.jpg

A former policeman took advantage of vulnerable women who rang the police for help – having sex with one while he was meant to be on duty and using systems to get another’s telephone number.

Shamed and married Ian Langford was jailed for 18 months when he targeted and seduced two women he had met through his public duties before he began dating them.

The 46-year-old cried in the dock as prosecutor Janine Wood said he had complimented and been supportive to one of the women, who had been midway through a neighbour dispute, before they began a year-long relationship in June 2012.

She said the response patrol officer, who would be the first in uniform on the, regularly had sex with the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, while he should have been on duty.

Gloucester Crown Court heard the relationship she had with Langford of Church View in Tewkesbury saw her legal battle collapse when the affair was discovered.

It finally ended when she discovered Langford, a father, was engaged to be married to his second wife, who sat in the dock supporting him today.

In an impact statement she said she was “saddened, distressed and depressed†by what had happened. She said: “I thought it felt safe with him, but he has left me with the old stereotypical view that dodgy police are still alive and thriving.â€

Ms Wood told the court in May 2012, Langford, an officer with West Mercia Constabulary, had been called out to a victim of domestic violence where he had been complimenting her immediately.

He tracked down the woman, who had suffered years of abuse, on Facebook before their relationship ended in December that year.

When police were called to her home again in August 2013, Langford later got her new telephone number from the police’s control log and began texting her.

In a statement, she said: “When I look at my mental state (at the time) I feel sickened that an authority figure in our community took advantage of me when he should have protected me.â€

The court heard Langford had been disciplined and docked 13 days pay for a similar incident in 2008.

Judge Jamie Tabor QC questioned whether West Mercia police should have dealt with that case more strictly.

His current wife ran from the court room as the judge jailed Langford for 18 months.

He told him: “Both victims feel let down and distrust for the police.

“You had a warning shot in 2008 that did not deter you.

“You targeted women when they were at their most vulnerable.

“Your behaviour compromised a court case and you carried on the affair while on duty.â€

Defending Simon Hunka said he had shown remorse and shame of his behaviour.

He said: “Had he met them in a bar it would have been perfectly fine. That is the professional boundary that should be in place and they (the women) opened up to him and he did the wrong thing.

“If he truly was a predator, he would have a number of complaints for unsuccessful attempts to get women.

“It is quite right that he is no longer a police officer. He accepts that fully, but it is not to say he did not do a good job outside of this.

“This is someone who had a high standing in the community and he knows he has bought an element of shame on his family.

“He is someone that has a history of depression. He struggles very deeply with the impact that this has had.â€

The court heard a decision is still to be made whether he will lose his police contributions to his pension after he pleaded guilty to two counts of misconduct in public office.

Gloucester Citizen

Meanwhile the whole situation is subject of a series of searching FOI questions which have been made to WMP by a Mr. MCJ Chambers

FOI Request

Received -1 from somebody - I will accept opinions - if the person is prepared to post a comment .

To explain- this person "groomed" vulnerable females then slept with them whilst on duty - so we are paying him to do this !!

It's not right - made worse because he had been warned and fined by his employees previously for a similar incident.

If somebody wishes to support this person please take the time to post your comment.

Thank you.

You may have your opinion Rodger, but not fair on XXXXX  page. Also I've I have known that there are police officers that have committed far worse crimes and have got away with it, I wonder why that is?

Suggestions that all is not well in the Police Service ... Quote copied and pasted from FB ... Name censored by me ... 

Ubique ... I have upped you one ... ;-) 

Can I say again - The police reflect society - the good, the bad and the ugly side of it.

"Langers" was a good copper on the beat.

I dont know too much about what he was like in the bedroom, however the fact that someone was caught "shagging" whilst at work is what we are dealing with here.

How many employers have been caught out shagging employees - loads! Im not saying its right, but it happens.

Then we could move onto religion - how many people of the cloth - who care for their parishioners end up sleeping with them. Again, Im not saying its right, but it happens.

However - when you are in the police - you get a jail sentence for it. That - In my personal opinion is harsh, not only that - he has lost his pension, reputation and not only that - it will put a heavy strain on his new marriage, all because he did what many men do.

Hello there!

Reading through this thread again, I get the impression that it's not the fact he was caught with his trousers down that's the problem. (God knows I've made a few regrettable choices in the boudoir department!!)

I think it's the vulnerable nature of the women he seemed to go for. 

We are all capable of making mistakes....but in this instance, he had made this mistake before, and hadn't learnt from it.

I guess that could be the sticking point......

Dippy, you are so right it's the definition. " vulnerable women" He took advantage of a " vulnerable person " I am sure that if it was a non vulnerable woman he woukd have got his hand slapped by a Senior Officer , ( as woukd happen in many walks of life ) .

The Scales are currently balanced against any wrong activity by serving Police ... No surprise as #plebgate is an issue. And many may agree that they should be... I could go on ... I was reading the paper today (online) and someone got battered senseless by someone who had done it before (domestic) ... Hey ho ... Suspended sentence ... But they were not in the Police ... 

I think 18 months is harsh for what he did ... But I have to Counter Balance the fact that 99/100 cops who arrive at your door to sort the problem out don't have an under the surface sexual motive agenda. I feel sorry for his missus quite frankly ... Ian is a father ... three other extremely dodgy liaisons along the way and now married to someone else ... It's like a soap opera ... All very bizarre ...