Hereford makes the National Press

Biomech

Correct Biomech!

Sensationalised rubbish!

The Asda NHS out of hours clinic, is a fantastic resource. Everybody SHOULD know that A and E is for life threatening and serious accidents and emergencies. Being signposted to use an alternative medical provision, is surely a sensible option.

If people didn't abuse A and E, it wouldn't be so over stretched. Turning up there, because you have a splinter in your finger is beyond ridiculous...but I assure you, it does happen.

Its the same with dialling 999, for an ambulance. Life threatening and serious accident/injury only. They are not a taxi service!!

I have used the ASDA Medical Centre a number of times over the past few years for wasp / bee stings which I react to .

By coincidence it's alway been over the weekends or at a time when my Doctor Surgery is unable to see me for a couple of days.

The reception , the help and assistance I have received by the Staff at this medical centre has been second to none . Better I might add that the Service I receive at my own Doctors Surgery .

If people didn't abuse A and E, it wouldn't be so over stretched.

I think this is the crux of the problem, every day we see more and more how people are too stupid to take responsibility for themselves, it's these people who waste resources. People who post on facebook "My little girls got a temperature and they said I have to wait 40 minutes for an ambulance".

I've been to the Asda drop in a few times, the first was quite good then it got worse and worse with the waiting times. They have a massive strain - from my experience and others - from foreign nationals going there. Indeed, staff have commented that the large influx of foreign nationals has caused delays as, obviously, an increase in footfall and the language barrier. The last 2 times I've been have had average waiting times of 6 hours, and you can't can't leave, you have to wait.

But like I say, when it first opened I went down after half of my tooth snapped off. I was given a dental appointment 30 minutes later and while I was in the chair I was surprised to discover that they were doing a full temporary fix right there!

My opinion;

While the "Asda" part is sensationalised for the paper, the underlying problem of directing people to drop in centres is understaffing, closing of departments and too many patients - some of which shouldn't be there.

A drop in centre should be an addition, NOT a replacement.

Surely the problem is :

People dont understand what A&E is for.

Doctors surgery's take too long to get an appointment - not enough surgerys for this area.

Extra services like this are a good thing - but people moan and wine about having to wait - myself included when I had to use "Asdas" - my wait time was a couple of hours, however - DRs couldnt fit me in, and I wasnt an Accident or an Emergency - so - places like ASDAs are a great additional resource.

Hereford has been granted funding, as part of a pilot scheme, for GP surgeries to open 7 days a week, until 8.00pm.

Not sure when this starts-I believe it's fairly soon, and all 24 GP practises have signed up.

Hopefully, this will make getting an appointment with the appropriate service a lot easier!

Doctors surgery's take too long to get an appointment - not enough surgerys for this area.

They can do indeed. I find the hardest thing is getting through on the phone, it's engaged from 7.50am every day. You really just have to keep hitting redial until you get through.

But again, it's people abusing the doctors. If you've burnt your hand on the grill, run it under water. If you've twisted your ankle, rest it.

Personally, I ignore everything until I HAVE to go to the Dr's and then when I do I try and go with a hitlist of things so I can get lots of things checked and questions answered in the one appointment.