Stabbing incident at Broxash Drive 16th May 2013

megilleland

Community Update from Superintendent Ivan Powell, West Mercia Police concerning stabbing incident at Broxash Drive 16th May 2013

As the policing commander for Herefordshire I think it is important that I communicate clearly with local residents following the events of this afternoon, the 16th May 2013.

At approximately 1525 on Thursday 16th May 2013 we received a telephone call from the ambulance service telling us they were responding to a report of two men who had been stabbed. We have established that this occurred in a private address in Broxash Drive, Hereford.

A significant number of police resources were deployed to the location. These resources included firearms officers, plain clothes and uniform response officers and dog units.

At around 15:40 only 15 minutes after the call, two men were located at a private address in

Golden Post Hereford where one was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. After a short stand, off another man was arrested at the same location.

This was a fast moving investigation that required the deployment a significant number of police resources. I would like to re-iterate some key messages:

• We have two men in custody, and there is no longer any threat to the community.

• Those arrested are believed to be known to the injured men.

• We have significant policing resources committed to investigative interviewing, forensic investigation, crime scene searches and house to house enquiries.

I would like to thank the local communities in Hereford for their understanding and support during this police operation.

Whilst the identity of the injured men is known to some members of the community, police will only be confirming these identities in due course. Whilst both men were seriously assaulted, their respective conditions are not believed to be life threatening. We are providing support to them and their families at this time.

It is important for me to acknowledge that these were very serious incidents, but please be reassured there is no longer a threat to the community of Herefordshire.

Members of the public who believe that they have information that may be relevant to the police investigation are to contact West Mercia Police on 101 and ask for officers at Hereford, or please approach any of my staff who will be patrolling your areas whilst they conduct house to house enquiries over the next few days.